- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Multimedia
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 109619, 18 pages
Enhancing Scalability in On-Demand Video Streaming Services for P2P Systems
1Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai 600025, India
2Department of Information Science and Technology, College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai 600025, India
Received 27 March 2012; Revised 7 June 2012; Accepted 28 June 2012
Academic Editor: Martin Reisslein
Copyright © 2012 R. Arockia Xavier Annie et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Zhijia, L. Chuang, and W. Xiaogang, “Enabling on-demand internet video streaming services to multi-terminal users in large scale,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1988–1996, 2009.
- A. Raghuveer, N. Kang, and D. H. C. Du, “Techniques for efficient streaming of layered video in heterogeneous client environments,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM '05), vol. 1, pp. 245–250, December 2005.
- Y. Yang, A. L. H. Chow, L. Golubchik, and D. Bragg, “Improving QoS in BitTorrent-like VoD systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (IEEE INFOCOM '10), San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2010.
- B. Giovanni, S. Thomas, and A. Luigi, “Theoretical models for video on demand services on peer-to-peer networks,” International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting, vol. 2009, Article ID 263936, 8 pages, 2009.
- A. G. Nemati and M. Takizawa, “Application level QoS in multimedia peer-to-peer (P2P) networks,” in Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops/Symposia (AINA '08), pp. 319–324, March 2008.
- L. Bo, C. Yanchuan, C. Cui Yi, X. Yuan, Q. Fan, and L. Yansheng, “Minimizing service disruption in peer-to-peer streaming,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC '11), pp. 1066–1071, 2011.
- Y. Lingjie, G. Linxiang, Z. Jin, and W. Xin, “SonicVoD: a VCR-supported P2P-VoD system with network coding,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 576–582, 2009.
- H. Cheng-Hsin and H. Mohamed, “Optimal coding of multilayer and multiversion video streams,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 121–131, 2008.
- G. M. Muntean, G. Ghinea, and T. N. Sheehan, “Region of interest-based adaptive multimedia streaming scheme,” IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 296–303, 2008.
- H. Yu, E. C. Chang, W. T. Ooi, M. C. Chan, and W. Cheng, “Integrated optimization of video server resource and streaming quality over best-effort network,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 374–385, 2009.
- L. Jiangchuan, B. Li, and Z. Ya-Qin, “Adaptive video multicast over the internet,” IEEE Multimedia, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 22–33, 2003.
- S. McCanne, M. Vetterli, and V. Jacobson, “Low-complexity video coding for receiver-driven layered multicast,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 983–1001, 1997.
- L. Jiangchuan, B. Li, and Y. Q. Zhang, “Optimal stream replication for video simulcasting,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 162–169, 2006.
- T. C. Thang, J. W. Kang, J. J. Yoo, and Y. M. Ro, “Optimal multilayer adaptation of SVC video over heterogeneous environments,” Advances in Multimedia, vol. 2008, Article ID 739192, 8 pages, 2008.
- C. Yan, F. Toni, and Y. Nong, “QoS requirement of network applications on the Internet,” Proceedings of Information, Knowledge, Systems Management, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55–76, 2004.
- R. A. X. Annie and P. Yogesh, “VoD system: providing effective peer-to-peer environment for an improved VCR operative solutions,” Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 127–134, 2010.
- F. V. Hecht, T. Bocek, and B. Stiller, “B-Tracker: improving load balancing and efficiency in distributed P2P trackers,” in Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing (P2P '11), pp. 310–313, 2011.
- C. Liang, Z. Fu, Y. Liu, and C. W. Wu, “Incentivized peer-assisted streaming for on-demand services,” IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1354–1367, 2010.
- T. Guo and Y. Zhang, “Research of incentive mechanisms in P2P-based Video on Demand System,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Networking and Distributed Computing (ICNDC '11), pp. 340–343, 2011.
- J. M. Dyaberi, K. Kannan, and V. S. Pai, “Storage optimization for a peer-to-peer video-on-demand network,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGMM Conference on Multimedia Systems (MMSys '10), pp. 59–70, February 2010.
- D. Tursun and W. Liejun, “Adaptive stream multicast for video in heterogeneous networks,” Information Technology Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 246–249, 2009.
- D. Wang and J. Liu, “Peer-to-peer asynchronous video streaming using skip list,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '06), pp. 1397–1400, July 2006.
- E. Tan and C. T. Chou, “Frame rate control for video streaming,” in Proceedings of the 36th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN '11), pp. 163–166, 2011.
- S. F. Chang and A. Vetro, “Video adaptation: concepts, technologies, and open issues,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 148–158, 2005.
- F. Takaya, E. Rei, M. Kei, and S. Hiroshi, “Video-popularity-based caching scheme for P2P video-on-demand streaming,” in Proceedings of the 25th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA '11), pp. 748–755, March 2011.
- S. Saroiu, K. P. Gummadi, and S. D. Gribble, “Measuring and analyzing the characteristics of Napster and Gnutella hosts,” Multimedia Systems, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 170–184, 2003.
- H. Byun and M. Lee, “A tracker-based P2P system for live multimedia streaming services,” in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology: Smart Service Innovation through Mobile Interactivity (ICACT '11), pp. 1608–1613, February 2011.
- C. Jia Ming, L. Jenq Shiou, C. Yen Chiu, W. Hsin Wen, and S. Wei Kuan, “MegaDrop: a cooperative video-on-demand system in a Peer-to-Peer environment,” Journal of Information Science and Engineering, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 1345–1361, 2011.
- I. Radulovic, P. Frossard, and O. Verscheure, “Adaptive video streaming in lossy networks: versions or layers?” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME '04), vol. 3, pp. 1915–1918, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2004.
- P. Seeling and M. Reisslein, “Video transport evaluation with H.264 video traces,” IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, no. 4, pp. 1–24, 2011.
- L. Tionardi and F. Hartanto, “The use of cumulative inter-frame jitter for adapting video transmission rate,” in Proceedings of the Confernce on Covergent Technologies for the Asia-Pacific Region (IEEE TENCON '03), pp. 364–368, October 2003.
- R. Mahindra, R. Kokku, H. Zhang, and S. Rangarajan, “MESA: farsighted flow management for video delivery in broadband wireless networks,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS '11), pp. 1–10, January 2011.
- D. Gangadharan, H. Ma, S. Chakraborty, and R. Zimmermann, “Video quality-driven buffer dimensioning in MPSoC platforms via prioritized frame drops,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 29th International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD '11), pp. 247–252, 2011.
- A. A. Sofokleous and M. C. Angelides, “DCAF: an MPEG-21 dynamic content adaptation framework,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 151–182, 2008.
- J. Annesley, G. Bäse, J. Orwell, and H. Sabirin, “An extension of the AVC file format for video surveillance,” in Proceedings of the 3rd ACM/IEEE International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC '09), pp. 1–8, September 2009.
- P. Amon, T. Rathgen, and D. Singer, “File format for scalable video coding,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1174–1185, 2007.
- T. L. Lin, J. Shin, and P. Cosman, “Packet dropping for widely varying bit reduction rates using a network-based packet loss visibility model,” in Proceedings of the Data Compression Conference (DCC '10), pp. 445–454, March 2010.
- C. Hu and C. Tu, “Research on P2P incentive mechanism,” in 2010 International Forum on Information Technology and Applications (IFITA '10), vol. 1, pp. 47–50, July 2010.
- Y. W. Wong, J. Y. B. Lee, V. O. K. Li, and G. S. H. Chan, “Supporting interactive video-on-demand with adaptive multicast streaming,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 129–141, 2007.
- Q. Wei, T. Qin, and S. Fujita, “A two-level caching protocol for hierarchical peer-to-peer file sharing systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE 9th International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing with Applications (ISPA '11), pp. 195–200, 2011.