- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 142879, 11 pages
Mesoscopic Modeling of Multiphysicochemical Transport Phenomena in Porous Media
Computational Earth Science Group, Earth and Environmental Sciences Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Received 6 October 2009; Accepted 11 December 2009
Academic Editor: Chen Li
Copyright © 2010 Qinjun Kang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Pacala and R. Socolow, “Stabilization wedges: solving the climate problem for the next 50 years with current technologies,” Science, vol. 305, no. 5686, pp. 968–972, 2004.
- J. Bear, Dynamics of Fluids in Porous Media, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1972.
- C.-Y. Wang, “Fundamental models for fuel cell engineering,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 4727–4766, 2004.
- J. J. Baschuk and X. Li, “Modelling of polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells with variable degrees of water flooding,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 181–196, 2000.
- L. You and H. Liu, “A two-phase flow and transport model for the cathode of PEM fuel cells,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2277–2287, 2002.
- W. He, J. S. Yi, and T. Van Nguyen, “Two-phase flow model of the cathode of PEM fuel cells using interdigitated flow fields,” AIChE Journal, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 2053–2064, 2000.
- J. H. Nam and M. Kaviany, “Effective diffusivity and water-saturation distribution in single- and two-layer PEMFC diffusion medium,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 46, no. 24, pp. 4595–4611, 2003.
- S. Dutta, S. Shimpalee, and J. W. Van Zee, “Numerical prediction of mass-exchange between cathode and anode channels in a PEM fuel cell,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 2029–2042, 2001.
- M. Noponen, E. Birgersson, J. Ihonen, M. Vynnycky, A. Lundblad, and G. Lindbergh, “A two-phase non-isothermal PEFC model: theory and validation,” Fuel Cells, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 365–377, 2004.
- Z. Wang, X. Wu, R. Ni, and Y. Wang, “Binocular fusion in Panum's limiting case of stereopsis obeys the uniqueness constraint,” Science in China, Series C, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 40–48, 2001.
- S. Chen and G. D. Doolen, “Lattice boltzmann method for fluid flows,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 30, pp. 329–364, 1998.
- M. Wang and S. Chen, “On applicability of Poisson-Boltzmann equation for micro- and nanoscale electroosmotic flows,” Communications in Computational Physics, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 1087–1099, 2008.
- M. Wang, J. Liu, and S. Chen, “Similarity of electroosmotic flows in nanochannels,” Molecular Simulation, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 239–244, 2007.
- M. Wang, J. Liu, and S. Chen, “Electric potential distribution in nanoscale electroosmosis: from molecules to continuum,” Molecular Simulation, vol. 33, no. 15, pp. 1273–1277, 2007.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Fluid Mechanics, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1959.
- C. Davidson and X. Xuan, “Electrokinetic energy conversion in slip nanochannels,” Journal of Power Sources, vol. 179, no. 1, pp. 297–300, 2008.
- Y. Ren and D. Stein, “Slip-enhanced electrokinetic energy conversion in nanofluidic channels,” Nanotechnology, vol. 19, no. 19, Article ID 195707, 2008.
- J.-F. Dufrêche, V. Marry, N. Malíková, and P. Turq, “Molecular hydrodynamics for electro-osmosis in clays: from Kubo to Smoluchowski,” Journal of Molecular Liquids, vol. 118, no. 1–3, pp. 145–153, 2005.
- L. Joly, C. Ybert, E. Trizac, and L. Bocquet, “Hydrodynamics within the electric double layer on slipping surfaces,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 93, no. 25, Article ID 257805, 4 pages, 2004.
- P. C. Lichtner, “Principles and practice of reactive transport modeling,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, vol. 353, no. 1, pp. 117–130, 1995.
- V. G. Levich, Physico-Chemical Hydrodynamics, Prentice-Hall, New York, NY, USA, 1962.
- B. Honig and A. Nicholls, “Classical electrostatics in biology and chemistry,” Science, vol. 268, no. 5214, pp. 1144–1149, 1995.
- P. C. Lichtner and Q. Kang, “Upscaling pore-scale reactive transport equations using a multiscale continuum formulation,” Water Resources Research, vol. 43, no. 12, Article ID W12S15, 2007.
- Z. Guo, B. Shi, and N. Wang, “Lattice BGK model for incompressible Navier-Stokes equation,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 288–306, 2000.
- X. Shan and H. Chen, “Lattice Boltzmann model for simulating flows with multiple phases and components,” Physical Review E, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 1815–1819, 1993.
- Q. Kang, D. Zhang, and S. Chen, “Displacement of a two-dimensional immiscible droplet in a channel,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 3203–3214, 2002.
- Q. Kang, D. Zhang, and S. Chen, “Displacement of a three-dimensional immiscible droplet in a duct,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 545, pp. 41–66, 2005.
- X. Shan and G. Doolen, “Diffusion in a multicomponent lattice Boltzmann equation model,” Physical Review E, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 3614–3620, 1996.
- Q. Kang, P. C. Lichtner, and D. Zhang, “Lattice Boltzmann pore-scale model for multicomponent reactive transport in porous media,” Journal of Geophysical Research B, vol. 111, no. 5, Article ID B05203, 2006.
- S. P. Dawson, S. Chen, and G. D. Doolen, “Lattice Boltzmann computations for reaction-diffusion equations,” The Journal of Chemical Physics, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 1514–1523, 1993.
- P. C. Lichtner, C. I. Steefel, and E. H. Oelkers, Eds., Reactive Transport in Porous Media, vol. 34 of Reviews in Mineralogy, P. H. Ribbe, Mineralogical Society of America, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- P. C. Lichtner, “Continuum model for simultaneous chemical reactions and mass transport in hydrothermal systems,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 779–800, 1985.
- Q. Kang, P. C. Lichtner, and D. Zhang, “An improved lattice Boltzmann model for multicomponent reactive transport in porous media at the pore scale,” Water Resources Research, vol. 43, no. 12, Article ID W12S14, 2007.
- J. Wang, M. Wang, and Z. Li, “Lattice Poisson-Boltzmann simulations of electro-osmotic flows in microchannels,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 296, no. 2, pp. 729–736, 2006.
- M. Wang and S. Chen, “Electroosmosis in homogeneously charged micro- and nanoscale random porous media,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 314, no. 1, pp. 264–273, 2007.
- P. P. Mukherjee, C.-Y. Wang, and Q. Kang, “Mesoscopic modeling of two-phase behavior and flooding phenomena in polymer electrolyte fuel cells,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 54, no. 27, pp. 6861–6875, 2009.
- M. Wang, N. Pan, J. Wang, and S. Chen, “Lattice Poisson-Boltzmann simulations of electroosmotic flows in charged anisotropic porous media,” Communications in Computational Physics, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 1055–1070, 2007.
- M. Wang, J. Wang, and S. Chen, “Roughness and cavitations effects on electro-osmotic flows in rough microchannels using the lattice Poisson-Boltzmann methods,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 836–851, 2007.