- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 581407, 6 pages
Experimental Investigations on the Effects of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Fuel Additives on Biodiesel
1School of Nano Science and Technology, National Institute of Technology, Calicut 673 601, India
2The George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332-0325, USA
Received 5 June 2009; Accepted 6 October 2009
Academic Editor: Moran Wang
Copyright © 2010 V. Sajith et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. P. A. Neeft, M. Makkee, and J. A. Moulijn, “Diesel particulate emission control,” Fuel Processing Technology, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1–69, 1996.
- K. J. Baumgard and D. B. Kittelson, “The influence of a ceramic particle trap on the size distribution of diesel particles,” SAE Technical Paper 850009, 1985.
- G. Lepperhoff and G. Kroon, “Impact of particulate traps on the hydrocarbon fraction of diesel particles,” SAE Technical Paper 850013, 1985.
- N. Miyamoto, H. Zhixin, A. Harada, H. Ogawa, and T. Murayama, “Characteristics of diesel soot suppression with soluble fuel additives,” SAE Technical Paper 871612, 1987.
- M. Gürü, U. Karakaya, D. Altiparmak, and A. Alicilar, “Improvement of Diesel fuel properties by using additives,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1021–1025, 2002.
- J. M. Valentine, J. D. Peter-Hoblyn, and G. K. Acres, “Emissions reduction and improved fuel economy performance from a bimetallic platinum/cerium diesel fuel additive at ultra-low dose rates,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1934, 2000.
- X. Shi, Y. Yu, H. He, S. Shuai, J. Wang, and R. Li, “Emission characteristics using methyl soyate—ethanol—diesel fuel blends on a diesel engine,” Fuel, vol. 84, no. 12-13, pp. 1543–1549, 2005.
- E. W. De Menezes, R. Da Silva, R. Cataluña, and R. J. C. Ortega, “Effect of ethers and ether/ethanol additives on the physicochemical properties of diesel fuel and on engine tests,” Fuel, vol. 85, no. 5-6, pp. 815–822, 2006.
- H.-R. Chao, T.-C. Lin, M.-R. Chao, F.-H. Chang, C.-I. Huang, and C.-B. Chen, “Effect of methanol-containing additive on the emission of carbonyl compounds from a heavy-duty diesel engine,” Journal of Hazardous Materials B, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 39–54, 2000.
- G. Skillas, Z. Qian, U. Baltensperger, U. Matter, and H. Burtscher, “Influence of additives on the size distribution and composition of particles produced by diesel engines,” Combustion Science and Technology, vol. 154, no. 1, pp. 259–273, 2000.
- J. Lahaye, S. Boehm, P. H. Chambrion, and P. Ehrburger, “Influence of cerium oxide on the formation and oxidation of soot,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 199–207, 1996.
- H. Jung, D. B. Kittelson, and M. R. Zachariah, “The influence of a cerium additive on ultrafine diesel particle emissions and kinetics of oxidation,” Combustion and Flame, vol. 142, no. 3, pp. 276–288, 2005.
- B. Stanmore, J. F. Brilhac, and P. Gilot, “The ignition and combustion of cerium doped diesel soot,” SAE Technical Paper 01-0115, 1999.
- K. Pramanik, “Properties and use of jatropha curcas oil and diesel fuel blends in compression ignition engine,” Renewable Energy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 239–248, 2003.
- F. K. Forson, E. K. Oduro, and E. Hammond-Donkoh, “Performance of jatropha oil blends in a diesel engine,” Renewable Energy, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1135–1145, 2004.
- A. Ramesh, B. Nagalingam, and M. Senthil Kumar, “An experimental comparison of methods to use methanol and Jatropha oil in a compression ignition engine,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 309–318, 2003.
- M. A. Kalam and H. H. Masjuki, “Biodiesel from palmoil—an analysis of its properties and potential,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 471–479, 2002.
- G. Wakefield, US patent no. 20050066571, March, 2005.
- ASTM D 445, “Test method for kinematic viscosity of transparent and opaque liquids”.
- ASTM D92-05a, “Test method for flash and fire points by cleveland open cup tester”.
- ASTM 97-05a, “Test method for pour point of petroleum products”.
- T. S. Auckenthaler, Modelling and control of three-way catalytic converters, Ph.D. dissertation, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland, 2005.