- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 120438, 12 pages
Experimental Investigation on Zonal Structure in Drag-Reducing Channel Flow with Surfactant Additives
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda-shi, Chiba 278-8510, Japan
2School of Mechanical Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200230, China
Received 9 June 2011; Accepted 18 July 2011
Academic Editor: Jinjia Wei
Copyright © 2011 Masaaki Motozawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. A. Toms, “Some observations on the flow of linear polymer solutions through straight tubes at large Reynolds numbers,” in Proceedings of the 1st International Congress on Rheology, pp. 135–141, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1978.
- E. D. Burger, W. R. Munk, and H. A. Wahl, “Flow increase in the Trans Alaska Pipeline through use of a polymeric drag-reducing additive,” Journal of Petroleum Technology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 377–386, 1982.
- L. R. Cox, E. H. Dunlop, and A. M. North, “Role of molecular aggregates in liquid drag reduction by polymers,” Nature, vol. 249, no. 5454, pp. 243–245, 1974.
- I. A. Kadoma, C. Ylitalo, and J. W. Van Egmond, “Structural transitions in wormlike micelles,” Rheologica Acta, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1997.
- B. Lu, X. Li, L. E. Scriven, H. T. Davis, Y. Talmon, and J. L. Zakin, “Effect of chemical structure on viscoelasticity and extensional viscosity of drag-reducing cationic surfactant solutions,” Langmuir, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 8–16, 1998.
- Y. Hu and E. F. Matthys, “Rheological and rheo-optical characterization of shear-induced structure formation in a nonionic drag-reducing surfactant solution,” Journal of Rheology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 151–166, 1997.
- Y. Hu and E. F. Matthys, “Characterization of micellar structure dynamics for a drag-reducing surfactant solution under shear: normal stress studies and flow geometry effects,” Rheologica Acta, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 450–460, 1995.
- K. Gasljevic and E. F. Matthys, “Field test of a drag-reducing surfactant additive in a hydronic cooling system,” in Proceedings of the ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, vol. 237, pp. 249–260, 1996.
- H. Takeuchi, et al., “Actual proof test of energy conservation in central heating/cooling system adapting surfactant drag reduction,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies, Aachen, Germany, 2009.
- M. D. Warholic, D. K. Heist, M. Katcher, and T. J. Hanratty, “A study with particle-image velocimetry of the influence of drag-reducing polymers on the structure of turbulence,” Experiments in Fluids, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 474–483, 2001.
- C. D. Dimitropoulos, R. Sureshkumar, A. N. Beris, and R. A. Handler, “Budgets of Reynolds stress, kinetic energy and streamwise enstrophy in viscoelastic turbulent channel flow,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1016–1027, 2001.
- V. S. R. Somandepalli, X. Y. Hou, and M. G. Mungal, “Turbulent schmidt number measurements in a polymer drag-reduced turbulent boundary layer,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, Seoul, Korea, 2009.
- Y. Wang, B. Yu, J. J. Wei, F. C. Li, and Y. Kawaguchi, “Direct numerical simulation on drag-reducing flow by polymer additives using a spring-dumbbell model,” Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 9, no. 3–5, pp. 217–224, 2009.
- C. M. White and M. G. Mungal, “Mechanics and prediction of turbulent drag reduction with polymer additives,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 40, pp. 235–256, 2008.
- Y. Kawaguchi, et al., “Turbulent transport mechanism in a drag-reducing flow with surfactant additive investigated by two component LDV,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, pp. 4.1–4.7, Lisbon, Portugal, 1996.
- B. Yu, F. Li, and Y. Kawaguchi, “Numerical and experimental investigation of turbulent characteristics in a drag-reducing flow with surfactant additives,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 961–974, 2004.
- X. Wu, et al., “DNS study on heat transfer reduction of drag-reducing channel flow induced by surfactant additives with a bilayer mode,” in Proceedings of the 2nd Asian Symposium on Computational Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, pp. 175–181, Jeju, Korea, 2009.
- F.-C. Li, Y. Kawaguchi, T. Segawa, and K. Hishida, “Reynolds-number dependence of turbulence structures in a drag-reducing surfactant solution channel flow investigated by particle image velocimetry,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1–13, 2005.
- M. Itoh and S. Tamano, “Drag reduction of turbulent flows of surfactant solutions,” in Proceedings of the 7th JSME-KSME Thermal and Fluids Engineering Conference, Sapporo, Japan, 2008.
- S. Tamano, M. Itoh, T. Inoue, K. Kato, and K. Yokota, “Turbulence statistics and structures of drag-reducing turbulent boundary layer in homogeneous aqueous surfactant solutions,” Physics of Fluids, vol. 21, no. 4, Article ID 045101, 2009.
- Y. Kawaguchi, B. Yu, J. Wei, and Z. Feng, “Rheological characterization of drag-reducing cationic surfactant solution -shear and elongational viscosities of dilute solutions,” in Proceedings of the 4th ASME/JSME Joint Fluids Engineering Conference, pp. 721–728, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, July 2003.
- A. M. Wunderlich and P. O. Brunn, “The complex rheological behavior of an aqueous cationic surfactant solution investigated in a Couette-type viscometer,” Colloid & Polymer Science, vol. 267, no. 7, pp. 627–636, 1989.
- R. B. Dean, “Reynolds number dependence of skin friction and other bulk flow variables in two-dimensional rectangular duct flow,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 215–223, 1978.
- P. Virk, et al., “The ultimate asymptote and mean flow structure in Toms phenomenon,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 488–493, 1970.
- M. D. Warholic, H. Massah, and T. J. Hanratty, “Influence of drag-reducing polymers on turbulence: effects of Reynolds number, concentration and mixing,” Experiments in Fluids, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 461–472, 1999.
- B. Yu and Y. Kawaguchi, “Direct numerical simulation of viscoelastic drag-reducing flow: a faithful finite difference method,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 116, no. 2-3, pp. 431–466, 2004.
- T. Tsukahara, et al., “DNS study on viscoelastic effect in drag-reduced turbulent channel flow,” Journal of Turbulence, vol. 12, pp. 1–25, 2010.
- B. Yu and Y. Kawaguchi, “Effect of Weissenberg number on the flow structure: DNS study of drag-reducing flow with surfactant additives,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 491–499, 2003.
- M. Motozawa, T. Watanabe, and Y. Kawaguchi, “PIV measurements of large-scale structures in a drag-reducing channel flow with surfactant additives,” Nihon Reoroji Gakkaishi, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 99–104, 2011.
- B. Yu and Y. Kawaguchi, “DNS of drag-reducing turbulent channel flow with coexisting Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluid,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 127, no. 5, pp. 929–935, 2005.