- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 519471, 18 pages
Modeling and Calibration for Crack Detection in Circular Shafts Supported on Bearings Using Lateral and Torsional Vibration Measurements
Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, Canada A1B 3X5
Received 10 June 2011; Revised 25 September 2011; Accepted 14 October 2011
Academic Editor: A. Seshadri Sekhar
Copyright © 2012 A. Tlaisi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Wauer, “On the dynamics of cracked rotors: a literaturesurvey,” Applied Mechanics Reviews, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 13–17, 1990.
- A. D. Dimarogonas, “Vibration of cracked structures: a state of the art review,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 55, no. 5, pp. 831–857, 1996.
- G. Sabnavis, R. G. Kirk, M. Kasarda, and D. Quinn, “Cracked shaft detection and diagnostics: a literature review,” The Shock and Vibration Digest, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 287–296, 2004.
- R. Q. Munoz, J. A. S. Ramirez, and J. S. Kubiak, “Rotor modal analysis for a rotor crack detection,” in Proceedings of the 15th International Modal Analysis Conference (IMAC' 97), vol. 1, pp. 877–879, February 1997.
- G. D. Gounaris and C. A. Papadopoulos, “Crack identification in rotating shafts by coupled response measurements,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 339–352, 2002.
- L. Hamidi, J. Piaud, and M. Massoud, “A study of crack influence on the modal characteristics of rotors,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, pp. 283–288, Bath, UK, 1992, No. C432/066.
- T. C. Tsai and Y. Z. Wang, “Vibration analysis and diagnosis of a cracked shaft,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 192, no. 3, pp. 607–620, 1996.
- A. Zakhezin and T. Malysheva, “Modal analysis rotor system for diagnostic of the fatigue crack,” in Proceedings of the Condition Monitoring Conference, St. Catherine's College, Oxford, UK, 2001.
- S. A. Adewusi and B. O. Al-Bedoor, “Detection of propagating cracks in rotors using neural networks,” in Proceedings of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Pressure Vessels and piping Division Conference, vol. 447, pp. 71–78, Vancouver, Canada, August 2002.
- S. Prabhakar, A. S. Sekhar, and A. R. Mohanty, “Detection and monitoring of cracks using mechanical impedance of rotor-bearing system,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 2351–2359, 2001.
- P. Pennacchi and A. Vania, “Diagnostics of a crack in a load coupling of a gas turbine using the machine model and the analysis of the shaft vibrations,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 1157–1178, 2008.
- L. S. Dorfman and M. Trubelja, “Torsional monitoring of turbine-generators for incipient failure detection,” in Proceedings of the 6th EPRI Steam Turbine/Generator Workshop, pp. 1–6, St. Louis, Mo, USA, August 1999.
- S. H. Cho, S. W. Han, C. I. Park, and Y. Y. Kim, “Noncontact torsional wave transduction in a rotating shaft using oblique magnetostrictive strips,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 100, no. 10, pp. 104903–104906, 2006.
- H. J. Petroski, “Simple static and dynamic models for the cracked elastic beams,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. R71–R76, 1981.
- A. Rytter, Vibrational based inspection of civil engineering structures, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Building Technology and Structural Engineering, University of Aalborg, Aalborg, Denmark, 1993.
- “McMaster-Carr (Princeton, New Jersey, USA) supplies products (including bearings) used to maintain manufacturing plants and large commercial facilities worldwide,” http://www.mcmaster.com/.
- ANSYS 13, Section 3.12.7 on Limitations of Lumped Matrix Formulation with Beam, Pipe, or Shell Elements, SAS IP, Cheyenne, Wyo, USA, 13th edition, 2010.
- Laboratory Handout, Determination of Moment of Inertia, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada, 2007.
- X. Yang, Vibration based crack analysis and detection in beam using energy method, Ph.D. thesis, Faculty of Engineering, Memorial University, St. John's, NL, Canada, 2001.
- S. Rao, Mechanical Vibrations, Addison Wesley, New York, NY, USA, 1995.