- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 895463, 13 pages
A Heuristic Scheduling Algorithm for Minimizing Makespan and Idle Time in a Nagare Cell
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Anna University of Technology Coimbatore, Coimbatore 641 047, India
Received 18 March 2011; Revised 8 December 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Duc Truong Pham
Copyright © 2012 M. Muthukumaran and S. Muthu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Murugan and V. Selladurai, “Optimization and implementation of cellular manufacturing system in a pump industry using three cell formation algorithms,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 35, no. 1-2, pp. 135–149, 2007.
- S. E. Kesen, S. K. Das, and Z. Gungor, “A mixed integer programming formulation for scheduling of virtual manufacturing cells (VMCs),” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, vol. 47, no. 5–8, pp. 665–678, 2009.
- M. Muthukumaran and S. Muthu, “A heuristic approach of Nagare Cell manufacturing in flow product system,” in Proceedings of the National Conference (RTDMS '10), pp. 19–20, Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India, 2010.
- D. G. M. Brooks, “The competitive edge in developing a traditional manufacturing business,” Technovation, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 357–362, 1994.
- D. G. M. Brooks and R. Duffill, “Towards world class at Leslie & Co,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Manufacturing Research, University of Central England, London, UK, 1992.
- S. Benjaafar, S. S. Heragu, and S. A. Irani, “Next generation factory layouts: research challenges and recent progress,” Interfaces, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 58–77, 2002.
- A. Kusiak, Intelligent Manufacturing Systems, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1990.
- U. Wemmerlov and N. L. Hyer, “Research issues in cellular manufacturing,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 413–431, 1987.
- U. Wemmerlov and N. L. Hyer, “Cellular manufacturing in the US industry: a survey of users,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 27, no. 9, pp. 1511–1530, 1989.
- R. M. Gupta and J. A. Tompkins, “An examination of the dynamic behavior of part families in group technology,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 73–86, 1982.
- J. B. Jensen, M. K. Malhotra, and P. R. Philipoom, “Machine dedication and process flexibility in a group technology environment,” Journal of Operations Management, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 19–39, 1996.
- S. Reza Hejazi and S. Saghafian, “Flowshop-scheduling problems with makespan criterion: a review,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 43, no. 14, pp. 2895–2929, 2005.
- R. Logendran and V. Sirikrai, “Machine duplication and part subcontracting in the presence of alternative cell locations in manufacturing cell design,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 609–624, 2000.
- N. C. Suresh and J. M. Kay, Group Technology and Cellular Manufacturing: A State-of-the-Art Synthesis of Research and Practice, Springer, 1998, Technology & Engineering.
- M. M. Liaee and H. Emmons, “Scheduling families of jobs with setup times,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 165–176, 1997.
- R. Radharamanan, “A heuristic algorithm for group scheduling,” in Proceedings of the International Industrial Engineering Conference, pp. 229–236, 1986.
- I. AI-Qattan, “Designing GT cells enhanced by group scheduling: key to flexible manufacturing system,” in Proceedings of the IIE Integrated Systems Conference, pp. 25–30, 1988.
- R. Logendran and N. Nudtasomboon, “Minimizing the makespan of a group scheduling problem: a new heuristic,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 217–230, 1991.
- N. Nakamura, T. Yoshida, and K. Hitomi, “Group production scheduling for minimum total tardiness: part I,” AIIE Transactions, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 1978.
- M. Ozden, P. J. Egbelu, and A. V. Iyer, “Job scheduling in a group technology environment for a single facility,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 1985.
- K. R. Baker, “Scheduling the production of components at a common facility,” IIE Transactions, vol. 20, pp. 32–35, 1988.
- S. Webster and K. R. Baker, “Scheduling groups of jobs on a single machine,” Operations Research, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 692–703, 1995.
- D. R. Sule, “Sequencing n jobs on two machines with setup, processing and removal times separated,” Naval Research Logistics Quarterly, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 517–519, 1982.
- C. Proust, J. N. D. Gupta, and V. Deschamps, “Flowshop scheduling with set-up, processing and removal times separated,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 479–493, 1991.
- R. Logendran, L. Mai, and D. Talkington, “Combined heuristics for bi-level group scheduling problems,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 38, no. 2-3, pp. 133–145, 1995.
- H. G. Campbell, R. A. Dudek, and M. L. Smith, “A heuristic algorithm for the n job, m machine sequencing problem,” Management Science, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. B630–B637, 1970.
- J. E. Schaller, J. N. D. Gupta, and A. J. Vakharia, “Scheduling a flowline manufacturing cell with sequence dependent family setup times,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 324–339, 2000.
- V. Reddy and T. T. Narendran, “Heuristics for scheduling sequence-dependent set-up jobs in flow line cells,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 193–206, 2003.
- C. Sriskandarajah and S. P. Sethi, “Scheduling algorithms for flexible flowshops: worst and average case performance,” European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 143–160, 1989.
- F. Y. Ding and D. Kittichartphayak, “Heuristics for scheduling flexible flow lines,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 27–34, 1994.
- T. Sawik, “Mixed integer programming for scheduling flexible flow lines with limited intermediate buffers,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 39–52, 2000.
- S. M. Johnson, “Optimal two-and three-stage production schedules with setuptimes included,” Naval Research Logistics Q, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 1954.
- S. R. Hejazi and S. Saghafian, “Flowshop-scheduling problems with makespan criterion: a review,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 43, no. 14, pp. 2895–2929, 2005.
- I. Mahdavi, V. Zarezadeh, and P. Shahnazari-Shahrezaei, “Flexible flow shop scheduling with equal number of unrelated parallel machines,” International Journal of Industrial Engineering, vol. 7, no. 13, pp. 74–83, 2011.
- K. Ohno and K. Nakade, “Analysis and optimization of a U-shaped production line,” Journal of the Operations Research Society of Japan, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 103–104, 1997.
- S. Henn, S. Koch, Gerking H., et al., “A U-shaped layout for a manual order picking,” Tech. Rep. o4, Faculty of Economics and Management, 2011.
- M. S. Akturk and A. Turkcan, “A cellular manufacturing system design using a holonistic approach,” International Journal of Production Research, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 2327–2347, 2000.
- E. M. Wicks and R. J. Reasor, “Designing cellular manufacturing systems with dynamic part populations,” IIE Transactions, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 11–20, 1999.
- K. L. Mak, P. Peng, X. X. Wang, and T. L. Lau, “An ant colony optimization algorithm for scheduling virtual cellular manufacturing systems,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 524–537, 2007.
- E. Ignall and L. E. Schrage, “Application of the branch and bound technique to some flow shop scheduling problems,” Journal of Operations Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 400–412, 1965.
- W. L. Maxwell and L. W. Miller, Theory of Scheduling, Addison-Wesley, Boston, Mass, USA, 1967.
- D. S. Palmer, “Sequencing jobs through a multistage process in the minimum total time—a quick method of obtaining a near optimum,” Journal of the Operational Research Society, vol. 16, pp. 101–107, 1965.
- K. K. Cho, E. E. Enscore Jr., and I. Ham, “A heuristic algorithm for multistage group scheduling problem to minimize total tardiness,” in Proceedings of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1982.
- Y. F. Peng, Z. L. Guan, L. Ma, C. Y. Zhang, and P. G. Li, “A two-stage mathematical approach for the design of virtual manufacturing cells,” International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, vol. 2, no. 1-2, pp. 80–96, 2009.