- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 236389, 12 pages
Study of Dynamic Flow and Mixing Performances of Tri-Screw Extruders with Finite Element Method
School of Mechanical Engineering, Liaoning Shihua University, Fushun, Liaoning 113001, China
Received 13 September 2012; Revised 10 December 2012; Accepted 9 January 2013
Academic Editor: Rehan Ahmed
Copyright © 2013 X. Z. Zhu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Jiang and C. W. Zhu, “Analysis of mixing performance in a triple screw extruder,” China Plastics, vol. 15, pp. 87–91, 2001.
- H. F. Wang and C. G. Zhou, “The research and application of multi-screw extruders,” Engineering Plastics Application, vol. 39, pp. 85–88, 2011.
- R. K. Connelly and J. L. Kokini, “2-D numerical simulation of differential viscoelastic fluids in a single-screw continuous mixer: application of viscoelastic finite element methods,” Advances in Polymer Technology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 22–41, 2003.
- R. K. Connelly and J. L. Kokini, “Examination of the mixing ability of single and twin screw mixers using 2D finite element method simulation with particle tracking,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 956–969, 2007.
- A. Khalifeh and J. R. Clermont, “Numerical simulations of non-isothermal three-dimensional flows in an extruder by a finite-volume method,” Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 7–22, 2005.
- M. Kurte-Jardin, H. Potente, K. Sigge, and M. Bornemann, “Modeling the temperature development of wall-slipping polymers in single-screw channels,” International Polymer Processing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 106–113, 2009.
- S. Kopecz, M. Krebs, A. Meister, and O. Wünsch, “A fast numerical approach for the simulation of highly viscous non-isothermal non-Newtonian fluids,” Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Physik, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 673–684, 2010.
- S. C. Jana, G. Metcalfe, and J. M. Ottino, “Experimental and computational studies of mixing in complex stokes flows: the vortex mixing flow and multicellular cavity flows,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 269, pp. 199–246, 1994.
- M. Sau and S. C. Jana, “A study on the effects of chaotic mixer design and operating conditions on morphology development in immiscible polymer systems,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 407–422, 2004.
- Y. Fan, R. I. Tanner, and N. Phan-Thien, “A numerical study of viscoelastic effects in chaotic mixing between eccentric cylinders,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 412, pp. 197–225, 2000.
- T. H. Lee and T. H. Kwon, “A new representative measure of chaotic mixing in a chaos single-screw extruder,” Advances in Polymer Technology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 53–68, 1999.
- D. Hu and J. Chen, “Simulation of 3D isothermal flow in intermeshing co-rotating tri-screw extruders,” Journal of Beijing Institute of Technology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 280–283, 2004.
- D. D. Hu and J. N. Chen, “Simulation of polymer melt flow fields in intermeshing co-rotating three-screw extruders,” Journal of Beijing Institute of Technology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 360–365, 2006.
- X. Z. Zhu, Y. J. Xie, and H. Q. Yuan, “Numerical simulation of extrusion characteristics for co-rotating tri-screw extruder,” Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 401–407, 2007.
- X. Z. Zhu, Y. J. Xie, and Y. Miao, “Numerical study on temperature and power consumption of intermeshing co-rotation triangle arrayed tri-screw extruders,” Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 367–373, 2009.
- N. Jiang and C. Zhu, “Study on extrusion characteristics of the tri-screw extruder,” Polymer-Plastics Technology and Engineering, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 590–594, 2008.
- Ansys, Polyflow. User’s manual, Version 3.12.0. Ansys: place del’Universite 16, B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve: Belgium, 2007.
- B. Alsteens, T. Avalosse, V. Legat, T. Marchal, and E. Slachmuylders, “Effect of the full-slip condition along rotors on the mixing efficiency of internal mixers,” in Proceedings of the 61st Annual Technical Conference (ANTEC '03), pp. 173–177, May 2003.
- N. B. Tufillaro, T. Abbott, and J. Reilly, An Experimental Approach to Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos, Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, Calif, USA, 1992.
- I. Manas-Zloczower, “Studies of mixing efficiency in batch and continuous mixers,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 504–528, 1994.