- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 929236, 8 pages
An Analytical Approximation for Continuous Flow Microwave Heating of Liquids
1Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Salerno, Via Ponte don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano, Italy
2Department of Civil Engineering, University of Salerno, Via Ponte don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano, Italy
Received 21 February 2013; Revised 4 April 2013; Accepted 6 April 2013
Academic Editor: Moran Wang
Copyright © 2013 G. Cuccurullo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Zhu, A. V. Kuznetsov, and K. P. Sandeep, “Numerical simulation of forced convection in a duct subjected to microwave heating,” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 255–264, 2007.
- I. Sierra, C. Vidal-Valverde, and A. Olano, “The effects of continuous flow microwave treatment and conventional heating on the nutritional value of milk as shown by influence on vitamin B1 retention,” European Food Research and Technology, vol. 209, no. 5, pp. 352–354, 1999.
- S. Tajchakavit, H. S. Ramaswamy, and P. Fustier, “Enhanced destruction of spoilage microorganisms in apple juice during continuous flow microwave heating,” Food Research International, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 713–722, 1998.
- J. Ahmed and S. Hosahalli Ramaswamy, “Microwave pasteurization and sterilization of foods,” in Handbook of Food Preservation, M. Shafiur Rahman, Ed., chapter 28, pp. 691–711, 2nd edition, 2007.
- G. Cuccurullo and V. Spingi, “An approximate solution for the entrance region in laminar pipe flow with temperature dependent heat generation,” in Proceedings of the 29th UIT Heat Transfer Conference, Torino, Italy, June 2011.
- G. Cuccurullo, L. Giordano, V. Spingi, F. D’Agostino, and M. Migliozzi, “A numerical-analytical solution for continuous flow microwave heating of liquids in laminar motion,” in Proceedings of the 30th UIT Heat Transfer Conference, Bologna, Italy, June 2012.
- R. Vadivambal and D. S. Jayas, “Non-uniform temperature distribution during microwave heating of food materials-a review,” Food and Bioprocess Technology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 161–171, 2010.
- P. Coronel, J. Simunovic, and K. P. Sandeep, “Temperature profiles within milk after heating in a continuous-flow tubular microwave system operating at 915 MHz,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 68, no. 6, pp. 1976–1981, 2003.
- D. Salvi, J. Ortego, C. Arauz, C. M. Sabliov, and D. Boldor, “Experimental study of the effect of dielectric and physical properties on temperature distribution in fluids during continuous flow microwave heating,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 149–157, 2009.
- N. M. Gerbo, D. Boldor, and C. M. Sabliov, “Design of a measurement system for temperature distribution in continuous-flow microwave heating of pumpable fluids using infrared imaging and fiber optic technology,” Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 55–65, 2008.
- C. M. Sabliov, D. A. Salvi, and D. Boldor, “High frequency electromagnetism, heat transfer and fluid flow coupling in ANSYS multiphysics,” Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 5–17, 2007.
- A. Datta, H. Prosetya, and W. Hu, “Mathematical modeling of batch heating of liquids in a microwave cavity,” Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 38–48, 1992.
- G. Cuccurullo, L. Cinquanta, and G. Sorrentino, “A procedure to achieve fine control in MW processing of foods,” Infrared Physics and Technology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 292–296, 2007.
- G. Cuccurullo, L. Giordano, D. Albanese, L. Cinquanta, and M. Di Matteo, “Infrared thermography assisted control for apples microwave drying,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 112, pp. 319–325, 2012.
- P. D. Muley and D. Boldor, “Multiphysics numerical modeling of the continuous flow microwave-assisted transesterification process,” Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 139–162, 2012.
- K. Knoerzer, M. Regier, and H. Schubert, “Microwave heating: a new approach of simulation and validation,” Chemical Engineering and Technology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 796–801, 2006.
- D. Salvi, D. Boldor, G. M. Aita, and C. M. Sabliov, “COMSOL Multiphysics model for continuous flow microwave heating of liquids,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 422–429, 2011.
- Q. Zhang, T. H. Jackson, and A. Ungan, “Numerical modeling of microwave induced natural convection,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 43, pp. 2141–2154, 2000.
- C. Mirabito, A. Narayanan, D. Perez, and B. Stone, FEMLAB Model of a Coupled Electromagnetic-Thermal Boundary Value Problem. Research Experience, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass, USA, 2005.
- J. Zhu, A. V. Kuznetsov, and K. P. Sandeep, “Mathematical modeling of continuous flow microwave heating of liquids (effects of dielectric properties and design parameters),” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 328–341, 2007.
- P. Ratanadecho, K. Aoki, and M. Akahori, “A numerical and experimental investigation of the modeling of microwave heating for liquid layers using a rectangular wave guide (effects of natural convection and dielectric properties),” Applied Mathematical Modelling, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 449–472, 2002.
- A. Le Bail, T. Koutchma, and H. S. Ramaswamy, “Modeling of temperature profiles under continuous tube-flow microwave and steam heating conditions,” Journal of Food Process Engineering, vol. 23, pp. 1–24, 2000.
- D. A. Salvi, D. Boldor, C. M. Sabliov, and K. A. Rusch, “Numerical and experimental analysis of continuous microwave heating of ballast water as preventive treatment for introduction of invasive species,” Journal of Marine Environmental Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 45–64, 2008.
- J. Zhu, A. V. Kuznetsov, and K. P. Sandeep, “Investigation of a particulate flow containing spherical particles subjected to microwave heating,” Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 481–493, 2008.
- COMSOL Multiphysics Version 4.3a User Guide, October 2012.
- O. C. Zienkiewicz, R. L. Taylor, and J. Z. Zhu, The Finite Element Method: Its Basis and Fundamentals, Butterworth-Heinemann, 6th edition, 2005.
- D. Salvi, D. Boldor, J. Ortego, G. M. Aita, and C. M. Sabliov, “Numerical modeling of continuous flow microwave heating: a critical comparison of COMSOL and ANSYS,” Journal of Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 187–197, 2010.