- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 978140, 8 pages
Efficiency of a Directly Driven Generator for Hydrokinetic Energy Conversion
Division of Electricity, The Ångström Laboratory, The Swedish Centre for Renewable Electric Energy Conversion, Uppsala University, P.O. Box 534, 751 21 Uppsala, Sweden
Received 23 May 2013; Revised 6 September 2013; Accepted 6 September 2013
Academic Editor: Fabrizio Marignetti
Copyright © 2013 Mårten Grabbe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. S. Blunden and A. S. Bahaj, “Tidal energy resource assessment for tidal stream generators,” Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 221, no. 2, pp. 137–146, 2007.
- M. Grabbe, E. Lalander, S. Lundin, and M. Leijon, “A review of the tidal current energy resource in Norway,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 1898–1909, 2009.
- A. S. Bahaj, “Generating electricity from the oceans,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 3399–3416, 2011.
- F. O'Rourke, F. Boyle, and A. Reynolds, “Tidal current energy resource assessment in Ireland: current status and future update,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 3206–3212, 2010.
- M. J. Khan, M. T. Iqbal, and J. E. Quaicoe, “River current energy conversion systems: progress, prospects and challenges,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 2177–2193, 2008.
- M. J. Khan, G. Bhuyan, M. T. Iqbal, and J. E. Quaicoe, “Hydrokinetic energy conversion systems and assessment of horizontal and vertical axis turbines for river and tidal applications: a technology status review,” Applied Energy, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 1823–1835, 2009.
- H. Toniolo, P. Duvoy, S. V. Anlesberg, and J. Johnson, “Modelling and field measurements in support of the hydrokinetic resource assessment for the Tanana river at Nenana, Alaska,” Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 224, no. 8, pp. 1127–1139, 2010.
- C. Walsh, J. Fochesatto, and H. Toniolo, “The importance of flow and turbulence characteristics for hydrokinetic energy development on the Tanana River at Nenana, Alaska,” Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 226, no. 2, pp. 283–299, 2012.
- H. Toniolo, “Hydrokinetic assessment of the Kvichak River near Igiugig, Alaska, using a two-dimensional hydrodynamic model,” Energy and Power Engineering, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 422–431, 2012.
- P. Duvoy and H. Toniolo, “HYDROKAL: a module for in-stream hydrokinetic resource assessment,” Computers and Geosciences, vol. 39, pp. 171–181, 2012.
- H. Toniolo, “Bed forms and sediment characteristics along the thalweg on the Tanana River near Nenana, Alaska, USA,” Natural Resources, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 20–30, 2013.
- E. Bibeau, S. Kassam, J. Woods, T. Molinski, and C. Bear, “Operating a 5-kW grid-connected hydrokinetic turbine in a river in cold climates,” Journal of Ocean Technology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 71–82, 2009.
- K. Yuen, S. Lundin, M. Grabbe, E. Lalander, A. Goude, and M. Leijon, “The Söderfors project: construction of an experimental hydrokinetic power station,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC '11), pp. 1–5, Southampton, UK, September 2011.
- M. Grabbe, K. Yuen, A. Goude, E. Lalander, and M. Leijon, “Design of an experimental setup for hydro-kinetic energy conversion,” International Journal on Hydropower and Dams, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 112–116, 2009.
- ACE User Manual, Modified Version 3.1, ABB Common Platform for Field Analysis and Simulations, ABB Corporate Research Centre, Västerås, Sweden, 2001.
- R. Gupta, T. Yoshino, and Y. Saito, “Finite element solution of permanent magnetic field,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 383–386, 1990.
- K. Thomas, M. Grabbe, K. Yuen, and M. Leijon, “A low-speed generator for energy conversion from marine currents—experimental validation of simulations,” Journal of Power and Energy, vol. 222, no. 4, pp. 381–388, 2008.
- K. Yuen, System perspectives on hydro-kinetic energy conversion [Ph.D. thesis], Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2012.
- J. Pyrhönen, V. Ruuskanen, J. Nerg, J. Puranen, and H. Jussila, “Permanent-magnet length effects in AC machines,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 3783–3789, 2010.
- K. Yuen, K. Thomas, M. Grabbe et al., “Matching a permanent magnet synchronous generator to a fixed pitch vertical axis turbine for marine current energy conversion,” IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2009.