- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 480210, 12 pages
Information Content of Seasonal Forecasts in a Changing Climate
Department of Civil Engineering, The City College of New York, New York, NY 10031, USA
Received 14 November 2012; Accepted 19 December 2012
Academic Editor: Klaus Dethloff
Copyright © 2013 Nir Y. Krakauer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Klopper, C. H. Vogel, and W. A. Landman, “Seasonal climate forecasts-potential agricultural-risk management tools?” Climatic Change, vol. 76, no. 1-2, pp. 73–90, 2006.
- A. Troccoli, “Seasonal climate forecasting,” Meteorological Applications, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 251–268, 2010.
- J. Namias, “Remarks on the potential for long-range forecasting,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 165–173, 1985.
- National Research Council, “Assessment of intraseasonal to interannual climate prediction and predictability,” Technical Report, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- T. C. Pagano, H. C. Hartmann, and S. Sorooshian, “Using climate forecasts for water management: Arizona and the 1997-1998 El Niño,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1139–1153, 2001.
- K. Wernstedt and R. Hersh, “Climate forecasts in flood planning: promise and ambiguity,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1703–1713, 2002.
- S. Apipattanavis, F. Bert, G. Podestá, and B. Rajagopalan, “Linking weather generators and crop models for assessment of climate forecast outcomes,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 150, no. 2, pp. 166–174, 2010.
- P. Block, “Tailoring seasonal climate forecasts for hydropower operations,” Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1355–1368, 2011.
- A. H. Murphy and R. L. Winkler, “Probability forecasting in meterology,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 79, no. 387, pp. 489–500, 1984.
- R. L. Winkler, J. Muñoz, J. L. Cervera et al., “Scoring rules and the evaluation of probabilities,” Test, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–60, 1996.
- T. Gneiting and A. E. Raftery, “Strictly proper scoring rules, prediction, and estimation,” Journal of the American Statistical Association, vol. 102, no. 477, pp. 359–378, 2007.
- World Meteorological Organization, “Standardised Verification System (SVS) for Long-Range Forecasts (LRF),” Technical Report. New Attachment II-9 to the Manual on the GDPS WMO-No. 485, World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2002, volume 1.
- I. J. Good, “Rational decisions,” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 107–114, 1952.
- M. S. Roulston and L. A. Smith, “Evaluating probabilistic forecasts using information theory,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 1653–1660, 2002.
- J. Bröcker and L. A. Smith, “From ensemble forecasts to predictive distribution functions,” Tellus A, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 663–678, 2008.
- R. Benedetti, “Scoring rules for forecast verification,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 203–211, 2010.
- S. V. Weijs, R. van Nooijen, and N. van de Giesen, “Kullback-Leibler divergence as a forecast skill score with classic reliability-resolution-uncertainty decomposition,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 138, pp. 3387–3399, 2010.
- J. Tödter, New aspects of information theory in probabilistic forecast verification [M.S. thesis], Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 2011.
- S. V. Weijs and N. van de Giesen, “Accounting for observational uncertainty in forecast verification: an information-theoretical view on forecasts, observations, and truth,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 139, no. 7, pp. 2156–2162, 2011.
- R. Peirolo, “Information gain as a score for probabilistic forecasts,” Meteorological Applications, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2011.
- R. E. Livezey, K. Y. Vinnikov, M. M. Timofeyeva, R. Tinker, and H. M. van den Dool, “Estimation and extrapolation of climate normals and climatic trends,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 1759–1776, 2007.
- P. C. D. Milly, J. Betancourt, M. Falkenmark et al., “Climate change: stationarity is dead: whither water management?” Science, vol. 319, no. 5863, pp. 573–574, 2008.
- N. Y. Krakauer, “Estimating climate trends: application to United States plant hardiness zones,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2012, Article ID 404876, 9 pages, 2012.
- D. S. Wilks, “Diagnostic verification of the Climate Prediction Center long-lead outlooks, 1995–9,” Journal of Climate, vol. 13, no. 13, pp. 2389–2403, 2000.
- E. A. O'Lenic, D. A. Unger, M. S. Halpert, and K. S. Pelman, “Developments in operational long-range climate prediction at CPC,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 496–515, 2008.
- R. E. Livezey and M. M. Timofeyeva, “The first decade of long-lead U.S. seasonal forecasts,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 89, no. 6, pp. 843–854, 2008.
- P. Peng, A. Kumar, M. S. Halpert, and A. G. Barnston, “An analysis of CPC's operational 0.5-month lead seasonal outlooks,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 898–917, 2012.
- S. Kullback and R. A. Leibler, “On information and sufficiency,” Annuals of Mathematical Statistics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 1951.
- T. M. Cover and J. A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- B. Ahrens and A. Walser, “Information-based skill scores for probabilistic forecasts,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 352–363, 2008.
- G. W. Brier, “Verification of forecasts expressed in terms of probability,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 78, pp. 1–3, 1950.
- A. H. Murphy, “A note on the ranked probability score,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 155–156, 1971.
- W. A. Müller, C. Appenzeller, F. J. Doblas-Reyes, and M. A. Liniger, “A debiased ranked probability skill score to evaluate probabilistic ensemble forecasts with small ensemble sizes,” Journal of Climate, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1513–1523, 2005.
- P. Heidke, “Berechnung des Erfolges und der Güte der Windstärkevorhersagen im Sturmwarnungsdienst,” Geografiska Annaler, vol. 8, pp. 301–349, 1926.
- V. Naumov and O. Martikainen, “Exponentially weighted simultaneous estimation of several quantiles,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, pp. 563–568, 2007.
- J. Huang, H. M. van den Dool, and A. G. Barnston, “Long-lead seasonal temperature prediction using optimal climate normals,” Journal of Climate, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 809–817, 1996.
- A. A. Bradley, S. S. Schwartz, and T. Hashino, “Sampling uncertainty and confidence intervals for the Brier score and Brier skill score,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 992–1006, 2008.
- D. S. Wilks, “Sampling distributions of the Brier score and Brier skill score under serial dependence,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 136, no. 653, pp. 2109–2118, 2010.
- A. G. Barnston, S. Li, S. J. Mason, D. G. Dewitt, L. Goddard, and X. Gong, “Verification of the first 11 years of IRI's seasonal climate forecasts,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 493–520, 2010.
- A. H. Murphy, “Forecast verification: its complexity and dimensionality,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 1590–1601, 1991.
- S. V. Weijs, G. Schoups, and N. Van De Giesen, “Why hydrological predictions should be evaluated using information theory,” Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 2545–2558, 2010.
- J. D. Brown, J. Demargne, D. J. Seo, and Y. Liu, “The Ensemble Verification System (EVS): a software tool for verifying ensemble forecasts of hydrometeorological and hydrologic variables at discrete locations,” Environmental Modelling and Software, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 854–872, 2010.