- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 147910, 12 pages
Aerosol Monitoring over Athens Using Satellite and Ground-Based Measurements
1Atmospheric Research Team, Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, National Observatory of Athens, Lofos Nymphon, P.O. Box 20048, 11810 Athens, Greece
2Institute for Space Applications and Remote Sensing, National Observatory of Athens, Metaxa & Vas. Pavlou, Pendeli, 15236 Athens, Greece
Received 27 June 2009; Revised 25 October 2009; Accepted 2 December 2009
Academic Editor: Krishnaswamy Krishnamoorthy
Copyright © 2010 D. G. Kaskaoutis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. A. Pope III and D. W. Dockery, “Acute health effects of pollution on symptomatic and asymptomatic children,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 1123–1128, 1992.
- J. M. Samet, F. Dominici, F. C. Curriero, I. Coursac, and S. L. Zeger, “Fine particulate air pollution and mortality in 20 U.S. cities, 1987–1994,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 24, pp. 1742–1749, 2000.
- A. Chaloulakou, P. Kassomenos, N. Spyrellis, P. Demokritou, and P. Koutrakis, “Measurements of and particle concentrations in Athens, Greece,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 649–660, 2003.
- M. D. King, Y. J. Kaufman, D. Tanré, and T. Nakajima, “Remote sensing of tropospheric aerosols from space: past, present, and future,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 2229–2259, 1999.
- B. N. Holben, E. Vermote, Y. J. Kaufman, D. Tanré, and V. Kalb, “Aerosol retrieval overland from AVHRR data—application for atmospheric correction,” IEEE Trancation on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 212–222, 1992.
- E. Vermote, N. Saleous, and B. N. Holben, “Aerosol retrieval and atmospheric correction,” in Advances in the Use Of NOAA AVHRR Data For Land Applications, G. D'Souza, Ed., pp. 93–124, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 1996.
- A. Ignatov and L. Stowe, “Aerosol retrievals from individual AVHRR channels. Part I: retrieval algorithm and transition from Dave to 6S radiative transfer model,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 313–334, 2002.
- A. Retails, N. Sifakis, N. Grosso, D. Paronis, and D. Sarigiannis, “Aerosol optical thickness retrieval from AVHRR images over the Athens urban area,” in Proceedings of the International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS '03), vol. 4, pp. 2182–2184, Toulouse, France, July 2003.
- J. Vidot, R. Santer, and D. Ramon, “Atmospheric particulate matter (PM) estimation from SeaWiFS imagery,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2007.
- N. Sifakis and P.-Y. Deschamps, “Mapping of air pollution using SPOT satellite data,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1433–1437, 1992.
- N. I. Sifakis, N. A. Soulakellis, and D. K. Paronis, “Quantitative mapping of air pollution density using Earth observations: a new processing method and application to an urban area,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 19, no. 17, pp. 3289–3300, 1998.
- A. Retalis, C. Cartalis, and E. Athanassiou, “Assessment of the distribution of aerosols in the area of Athens with the use of Landsat Thematic Mapper data,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 939–945, 1999.
- H. Yu, R. E. Dickinson, M. Chin, et al., “Annual cycle of global distributions of aerosol optical depth from integration of MODIS retrievals and GOCART model simulations,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 3, Article ID 4128, 2003.
- C. Ichoku, Y. J. Kaufman, L. A. Remer, and R. Levy, “Global aerosol remote sensing from MODIS,” Advances in Space Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 820–827, 2004.
- Y. J. Kaufman, D. Tanré, and O. Boucher, “A satellite view of aerosols in the climate system,” Nature, vol. 419, no. 6903, pp. 215–223, 2002.
- R. C. Levy, L. A. Remer, D. Tanré, et al., “Evaluation of the moderate-resolution imaging spectroradiometer (MODIS) retrievals of dust aerosol over the ocean during PRIDE,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 108, no. 19, Article ID 8594, 2003.
- M. Chin, A. Chu, R. Levy, et al., “Aerosol distribution in the Northern Hemisphere during ACE-Asia: results from global model, satellite observations, and Sun photometer measurements,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 109, no. 23, Article ID D23S90, 2004.
- K. D. Hutchison, “Applications of MODIS satellite data and products for monitoring air quality in the state of Texas,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 37, no. 17, pp. 2403–2412, 2003.
- H. D. Kambezidis, R. Tulleken, G. T. Amanatidis, A. G. Paliatsos, and D. N. Asimakopoulos, “Statistical evaluation of selected air pollutants in Athens, Greece,” Environmetrics, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 349–361, 1995.
- A. D. Adamopoulos, H. D. Kambezidis, D. G. Kaskaoutis, and G. Giavis, “A study of aerosol particle sizes in the atmosphere of Athens, Greece, retrieved from solar spectral measurements,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 86, no. 3-4, pp. 194–206, 2007.
- European Space Agency (ESA), EnviSat MERIS Handbook; Issue 1.2e, 2005, http://envisat.esa.int/dataproducts/meris/.
- R. C. Levy, L. A. Remer, and O. Dubovik, “Global aerosol optical properties and application to Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer aerosol retrieval over land,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 112, no. 13, Article ID D13210, 2007.
- D. A. Chu, Y. J. Kaufman, C. Ichoku, L. A. Remer, D. Tanré, and B. N. Holben, “Validation of MODIS aerosol optical depth retrieval overland,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, no. 12, 2002.
- L. A. Remer, D. Tanré, Y. J. Kaufman, et al., “Validation of MODIS aerosol retrieval over ocean,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, no. 12, Article ID 8008, 2002.
- L. A. Remer, Y. J. Kaufman, D. Tanré, et al., “The MODIS aerosol algorithm, products, and validation,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 947–973, 2005.
- D. Paronis and N. Sifakis, “Satellite aerosol optical thickness retrieval over land with contrast reduction analysis using a variable window size,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS '03), vol. 2, pp. 1276–1278, Toulouze, France, July 2003.
- T. F. Eck, B. N. Holben, J. S. Reid, et al., “Wavelength dependence of the optical depth of biomass burning, urban, and desert dust aerosols,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. D24, pp. 31333–31349, 1999.
- V. E. Cachorro, R. Vergaz, and A. M. de Frutos, “A quantitative comparison of -Ångström turbidity parameter retrieved in different spectral ranges based on spectroradiometer solar radiation measurements,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 35, no. 30, pp. 5117–5124, 2001.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, H. D. Kambezidis, A. D. Adamopoulos, and P. A. Kassomenos, “Comparison between experimental data and modeling estimates of aerosol optical depth over Athens, Greece,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 68, no. 11, pp. 1167–1178, 2006.
- R. R. Draxler and G. D. Rolph, HYSPLIT (Hybrid single-particle Lagrangian Integrated Trajectory) Model, NOAA Air Resources Laboratory, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2003, http://www.arl.noaa.gov/ready/hysplit4.html.
- D. Meloni, A. di Sarra, G. Biavati, et al., “Seasonal behavior of Saharan dust events at the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa in the period 1999–2005,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 3041–3056, 2007.
- G. Pace, A. di Sarra, D. Meloni, S. Piacentino, and P. Chamard, “Aerosol optical properties at Lampedusa (Central Mediterranean). 1. Influence of transport and identification of different aerosol types,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 697–713, 2006.
- A. Papayannis, D. Balis, V. Amiridis, et al., “Measurements of Saharan dust aerosols over the eastern Mediterranean using elastic backscatter-Raman lidar, spectrophotometric and satellite observations in the frame of the EARLINET project,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 2065–2079, 2005.
- D. S. Balis, V. Amiridis, C. Zerefos, et al., “Raman lidar and sunphotometric measurements of aerosol optical properties over Thessaloniki, Greece during a biomass burning episode,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 37, no. 32, pp. 4529–4538, 2003.
- S. Nickovic, G. Kallos, A. Papadopoulos, and O. Kakaliagou, “A model for prediction of desert dust cycle in the atmosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 106, no. D16, pp. 18113–18129, 2001.
- M. Viana, C. Perez, X. Querol, A. Alastuey, S. Nickovic, and J. M. Baldasano, “Spatial and temporal variability of PM levels and composition in a complex summer atmospheric scenario in Barcelona (NE Spain),” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 39, no. 29, pp. 5343–5361, 2005.
- C. Pérez, S. Nickovic, J. M. Baldasano, M. Sicard, F. Rocadenbosch, and V. E. Cachorro, “A long Saharan dust event over the western Mediterranean: Lidar, Sun photometer observations, and regional dust modeling,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 15, Article ID D15214, 2006.
- N. Kalivitis, E. Gerasopoulos, M. Vrekoussis, et al., “Dust transport over the eastern mediterranean derived from total ozone mapping spectrometer, aerosol robotic network, and surface measurements,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 112, no. 3, Article ID D03202, 2007.
- E. Gerasopoulos, G. Kouvarakis, P. Babasakalis, M. Vrekoussis, J. P. Putaud, and N. Mihalopoulos, “Origin and variability of particulate matter () mass concentrations over the Eastern Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 40, no. 25, pp. 4679–4690, 2006.
- G. P. Gobbi, F. Barnaba, and L. Ammannato, “Estimating the impact of Saharan dust on the year 2001 record of Rome, Italy,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 261–275, 2007.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, H. D. Kambezidis, P. T. Nastos, and P. G. Kosmopoulos, “Study on an intense dust storm over Greece,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 29, pp. 6884–6896, 2008.
- R. M. Harrison, A. R. Deacon, M. R. Jones, and R. S. Appleby, “Sources and processes affection concentrations of and particulate matter in Birmingham (U.K.),” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 31, no. 24, pp. 4103–4117, 1997.