- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 346516, 11 pages
Reconstruct the Mesoscale Information of Typhoon with BDA Method Combined with AMSU-A Data Assimilation Method
1Laboratory of Military Meteorology, Institute of Meteorology, PLA University of Science and Technology, Nanjing, 211101, China
2LASG, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100029, China
Received 28 December 2009; Revised 24 March 2010; Accepted 20 April 2010
Academic Editor: Zhaoxia Pu
Copyright © 2010 Yunfeng Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Iwasaki, H. Nakano, and H. Sugi, “The performance of a typhoon track prediction model,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, vol. 65, pp. 555–570, 1987.
- M. B. Mathur, “The National Meteorological Center's quasi-lagrangian model for hurricane prediction,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 119, no. 6, pp. 1419–1447, 1991.
- Y. Kurihara, M. A. Bender, and R. J. Ross, “An initialization scheme of hurricane models by vortex specification,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 2030–2045, 1993.
- J. M. Lewis and J. C. Derber, “The use of adjoint equation to solve a variational adjustment problem with advective constraints,” Tellus, vol. 37A, pp. 309–322, 1985.
- F.-X. Le Dimet and O. Talagrand, “Variational algorithms for analysis and assimilation of meteorological observations: theoretical aspects,” Tellus, vol. 38A, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 1986.
- P. Courtier and O. Talagrand, “Variational assimilation of meteorological observations with the adjoint vorticity equation. Part I: theory,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 113, no. 478, pp. 1311–1328, 1987.
- X. Zou and Q. Xiao, “Studies on the initialization and simulation of a mature hurricane using a variational bogus data assimilation scheme,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 836–860, 2000.
- Q. Xiao, X. Zou, and B. Wang, “Initialization and simulation of a landfalling hurricane using a variational bogus data assimilation scheme,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 128, no. 7, pp. 2252–2269, 2000.
- Z.-X. Pu and S. A. Braun, “Evaluation of bogus vortex techniques with four-dimensional variational data assimilation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 129, no. 8, pp. 2023–2039, 2001.
- F. Weng, T. Zhu, and B. Yan, “Satellite data assimilation in numerical weather prediction models. Part II: uses of rain-affected radiances from microwave observations for hurricane vortex analysis,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 3910–3925, 2007.
- Q. Xiao, L. Chen, and X. Zhang, “Evaluations of BDA scheme using the advanced research WRF (ARW) model,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 680–689, 2009.
- Y. Zhao, B. Wang, and Y. Wang, “Initialization and simulation of a landfalling typhoon using a variational bogus mapped data assimilation (BMDA),” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 98, no. 3-4, pp. 269–282, 2007.
- K.-H. Chou and C.-C. Wu, “Typhoon initialization in a mesoscale combination of the bogused vortex and the dropwindsonde data in DOTSTAR,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 3, pp. 865–879, 2008.
- F. Weng, “Advances in radiative transfer modeling in support o satellite data assimilation,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 3799–3807, 2007.
- X. Zou, Q. Xiao, A. E. Lipton, and G. D. Modica, “A numerical study of the effect of GOES sounder cloud-cleared brightness temperatures on the prediction of Hurricane Felix,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 34–55, 2001.
- J. F. Le Marshall, L. M. Leslie, R. F. Abbey Jr., and L. Qi, “Tropical cyclone track and intensity prediction: the generation and assimilation of high-density, satellite-derived data,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 80, no. 1–4, pp. 43–57, 2002.
- Y.-F. Wang, B. Wang, G. Ma, and Y.-S. Wang, “Effects of 4DVAR with multifold observed data on the typhoon track forecast,” Chinese Science Bulletin, vol. 48, pp. 93–98, 2003.
- H. Zhang, J. Xue, G. Zhu, S. Zhuang, X. Wu, and F. Zhang, “Application of direct assimilation of ATOVS microwave radiances to typhoon track prediction,” Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 2004.
- T. H. Zapotocny, J. A. Jung, J. F. Le Marshall, and R. E. Treadon, “A two-season impact study of four satellite data types and rawinsonde data in the NCEP global data assimilation system,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 80–100, 2008.
- G. A. Grell, J. Dudhia, and D. R. Stauffer, “A description of the fifth-generation penn state/NCAR Mesoscale Model (MM5),” NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-398 + STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1994.
- I. B. Troen and L. Mahrt, “A simple model of the atmospheric boundary layer; sensitivity to surface evaporation,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 37, no. 1-2, pp. 129–148, 1986.
- J. R. Eyre and H. M. Woolf, “Transmittance of atmospheric gases in the microwave region: a fast model,” Applied Optics, vol. 27, pp. 3244–3249, 1988.