- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 375615, 12 pages
Forward Sensitivity Approach to Dynamic Data Assimilation
1School of Computer Sciences, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73072, USA
2Forecast R&D, National Severe Storms Laboratory, Norman, OK 73072, USA
3Division of Atmospheric Sciences, Desert Research Institute, Reno, NV 89512, USA
Received 3 December 2009; Accepted 15 February 2010
Academic Editor: Zhaoxia Pu
Copyright © 2010 S. Lakshmivarahan and J. M. Lewis. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Rabitz, M. Kramer, and D. Dacol, “Sensitivity analysis in chemical kinetics,” Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 334, pp. 419–461, 1983.
- S. Seefeld and W. R. Stockwell, “First-order sensitivity analysis of models with time-dependent parameters: an application to PAN and ozone,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 33, no. 18, pp. 2941–2953, 1999.
- A. Russell, J. Milford, M. S. Bergin, et al., “Urban ozone control and atmospheric reactivity of organic gases,” Science, vol. 269, no. 5223, pp. 491–495, 1995.
- F.-X. Le Dimet and O. Talagrand, “Variational algorithms for analysis and assimilation of meteorological observations: theoretical aspects,” Tellus A, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 1986.
- D. P. Dee, “Bias and data assimilation,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 131, no. 613, pp. 3323–3343, 2006.
- C. W. Gear, Numerical Initial Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1971.
- J. M. Lewis, S. Lakshmivarahan, and S. Dhall, Dynamic Data Assimilation: A Least Squares Approach, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2006.
- S. Lakshmivarahan and J. M. Lewis, “Forecast error correction using forward sensitivity analysis: framework,” Tech. Rep., School of Computer Sciences, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla, USA, 2009.
- C. L. Lawson and R. J. Hanson, “Solving least squares problems,” in Classics in Applied Mathematics, vol. 15, p. 337, SIAM, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1995.
- S. G. Nash and A. Sofer, Linear and Nonlinear Programming, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- J. M. Lewis and S. Lakshmivarahan, “Sasaki's pivotal contribution: calculus of variations applied to weather map analysis,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 9, pp. 3553–3567, 2008.
- M. W. Hirsch, S. Smale, and R. L. Devaney, Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems and Linear Algebra, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.