- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 812075, 7 pages
Vertical and Horizontal Gradients in Aerosol Black Carbon and Its Mass Fraction to Composite Aerosols over the East Coast of Peninsular India from Aircraft Measurements
1Space Physics Laboratory, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Trivandrum 695022, India
2Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560012, India
Received 4 January 2010; Accepted 18 March 2010
Academic Editor: Victoria E. Cachorro
Copyright © 2010 S. Suresh Babu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. K. Satheesh, “Aerosol radiative forcing over land: effect of surface and cloud reflection,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2105–2109, 2002.
- S. N. Tripathi, S. Dey, V. Tare, S. K. Satheesh, S. Lal, and S. Venkataramani, “Enhanced layer of black carbon in a north Indian industrial city,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 12, Article ID L12802, 4 pages, 2005.
- D. Lubin, S. K. Satheesh, G. McFarquar, and A. J. Heymsfield, “Longwave radiative forcing of Indian Ocean tropospheric aerosol,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 107, article 8004, 13 pages, 2002.
- J. M. Haywood and V. Ramaswamy, “Global sensitivity studies of the direct radiative forcing due to anthropogenic sulfate and black carbon aerosols,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 103, no. D6, pp. 6043–6058, 1998.
- A. S. Ackerman, O. B. Toon, D. E. Stevens, A. J. Heymsfield, V. Ramanathan, and E. J. Welton, “Reduction of tropical cloudiness by soot,” Science, vol. 288, no. 5468, pp. 1042–1047, 2000.
- K. K. Moorthy, S. S. Babu, S. V. Sunilkumar, P. K. Gupta, and B. S. Gera, “Altitude profiles of aerosol BC, derived from aircraft measurements over an inland urban location in India,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 31, no. 22, Article ID L22103, 4 pages, 2004.
- S. S. Babu, S. K. Satheesh, K. K. Moorthy, et al., “Aircraft measurements of aerosol black carbon from a coastal location in the north-east part of peninsular India during ICARB,” Journal of Earth System Science, vol. 117, supplement 1, pp. 263–271, 2008.
- K. K. Moorthy, S. K. Satheesh, S. S. Babu, and C. B. S. Dutt, “Integrated campaign for aerosols, gases and radiation budget (ICARB): an overview,” Journal of Earth System, vol. 117, pp. 243–262, 2008.
- A. D. A. Hansen, H. Rosen, and T. Novakov, “The aethalometer, an instrument for the real-time measurement of optical absorption by aerosol particles,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 36, pp. 191–196, 1984.
- H. Grimm and D. J. Eatough, “Aerosol measurement: the use of optical light scattering for the determination of particulate size distribution, and particulate mass, including the semi-volatile fraction,” Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 101–107, 2009.
- E. Weingartner, H. Saathoff, M. Schnaiter, N. Streit, B. Bitnar, and U. Baltensperger, “Absorption of light by soot particles: determination of the absorption coefficient by means of aethalometers,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1445–1463, 2003.
- W. P. Arnott, K. Hamasha, H. Moosmüller, P. J. Sheridan, and J. A. Ogren, “Towards aerosol light-absorption measurements with a 7-wavelength aethalometer: evaluation with a photoacoustic instrument and 3-wavelength nephelometer,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2005.
- P. J. Sheridan, W. Patrick Arnott, J. A. Ogren, et al., “The reno aerosol optics study: an evaluation of aerosol absorption measurement methods,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2005.
- C. E. Corrigan, V. Ramanathan, and J. J. Schauer, “Impact of monsoon transitions on the physical and optical properties of aerosols,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 111, no. 18, Article ID D18208, 2006.
- V. S. Nair, S. S. Babu, and K. K. Moorthy, “Aerosol characteristics in the marine atmospheric boundary layer over the Bay of Bengal and Arabian Sea during ICARB: spatial distribution and latitudinal and longitudinal gradients,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 113, no. 15, Article ID D15208, 2008.
- E. B. Pereira, A. W. Setzer, F. Gerab, P. E. Artaxo, M. C. Pereira, and G. Monroe, “Airborne measurements of aerosols from burning biomass in Brazil related to the TRACE A experiment,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 101, no. 19, pp. 23983–23992, 1996.
- T. Novakov, D. A. Hegg, and P. V. Hobbs, “Airborne measurements of carbonaceous aerosols on the East Coast of the United States,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 102, no. 25, pp. 30023–30030, 1997.
- A. Keil and J. M. Haywood, “Solar radiative forcing by biomass burning aerosol particles during SAFARI 2000: a case study based on measured aerosol and cloud properties,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 108, no. D13, article 8467, 2003.
- D. B. Subrahamanyam, K. Sen Gupta, S. Ravindran, and P. Krishnan, “Study of sea breeze and land breeze along the west coast of Indian sub-continent over the latitude range to during INDOEX IFP-99 (SK-141) cruise,” Current Science, vol. 80, pp. 85–88, 2001.
- S. I. Rani, R. Ramachandran, D. B. Subrahamanyam, D. P. Alappattu, and P. K. Kunhikrishnan, “Characterization of sea/land breeze circulation along the west coast of Indian sub-continent during pre-monsoon season,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 367–378, 2010.
- V. Manghnani, S. Raman, D. S. Niyogi, et al., “Marine boundary-layer variability over the Indian Ocean during INDOEX (1998),” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 411–430, 2000.
- K. K. Moorthy, S. S. Babu, K. V. Badarinath, S. V. Sunilkumar, T. R. Kiranchand, and Y. N. Ahmed, “Latitudinal distribution of aerosol black carbon and its mass fraction to composite aerosols over peninsular India during winter season,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 34, no. 8, Article ID L08802, 2007.