- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 830846, 7 pages
Wind Speed Influences on Marine Aerosol Optical Depth
1School of Physics & Centre for Climate and Air Pollution Studies, Environmental Change Institute, National University of Ireland Galway, University Road, Galway, Ireland
2Université Paris 6, LATMOS/IPSL, CNRS/INSU, 75005 Paris, France
3Global Model Evaluation and Development, Met Office, Exeter, Devon EX1 3PB, UK
Received 18 February 2010; Revised 18 July 2010; Accepted 21 August 2010
Academic Editor: David Kieber
Copyright © 2010 Colin O'Dowd et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group 1 to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- C. D. O'Dowd and G. De Leeuw, “Marine aerosol production: a review of the current knowledge,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 365, no. 1856, pp. 1753–1774, 2007.
- C. D. O'Dowd, J. A. Lowe, M. H. Smith, and A. D. Kaye, “The relative importance of non-sea-salt sulphate and sea-salt aerosol to the marine cloud condensation nuclei population: an improved multi-component aerosol-cloud droplet parametrization,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 125, no. 556, pp. 1295–1313, 1999.
- C. Kleefeld, C. D. O'Dowd, and C. D. O'Dowd, “Relative contribution of submicron and supermicron particles to aerosol light scattering in the marine boundary layer,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 107, no. 19, article 8103, 2002.
- J. P. Mulcahy, C. D. O'Dowd, S. G. Jennings, and D. Ceburnis, “Significant enhancement of aerosol optical depth in marine air under high wind conditions,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 35, no. 16, Article ID L16810, 2008.
- C. D. O'Dowd, M. C. Facchini, and M. C. Facchini, “Biogenically driven organic contribution to marine aerosol,” Nature, vol. 431, no. 7009, pp. 676–680, 2004.
- T. S. Bates, T. L. Anderson, and T. L. Anderson, “Aerosol direct radiative effects over the northwest Atlantic, northwest Pacific, and North Indian Oceans: estimates based on in-situ chemical and optical measurements and chemical transport modeling,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 1657–1732, 2006.
- W. L. Madry, O. B. Toon, and C. D. O'Dowd, “Modeled optical thickness of the sea salt aerosol over the world ocean,” submitted to Journal of Geophysical Research.
- A. Smirnov, B. N. Holben, and B. N. Holben, “Optical properties of atmospheric aerosol in maritime environments,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 501–523, 2002.
- R. R. Draxler and G. D. Hess, “An overview of the HYSPLIT_4 modelling system for trajectories, dispersion and deposition,” Australian Meteorological Magazine, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 295–308, 1998.
- J. V. Martins, D. Tanré, L. Remer, Y. Kaufman, S. Mattoo, and R. Levy, “MODIS cloud screening for remote sensing of aerosols over oceans using spatial variability,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, no. 12, Article ID 8009, 4 pages, 2002.
- L. A. Remer, Y. J. Kaufman, and Y. J. Kaufman, “The MODIS aerosol algorithm, products, and validation,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 947–973, 2005.
- A. Smirnov, B. N. Holben, T. F. Eck, O. Dubovik, and I. Slutsker, “Cloud-screening and quality control algorithms for the AERONET database,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 337–349, 2000.
- D. Tanré, Y. J. Kaufman, M. Herman, and S. Mattoo, “Remote sensing of aerosol properties over oceans using the MODIS/EOS spectral radiances,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 102, no. 14, pp. 16971–16988, 1997.
- B. Guenther, X. Xiong, V. V. Salomonson, W. L. Barnes, and J. Young, “On-orbit performance of the Earth observing system moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer; first year of data,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 83, no. 1-2, pp. 16–30, 2002.
- W. T. Liu, “Progress in scatterometer application,” Journal of Oceanography, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 121–136, 2002.
- L. A. Remer, D. Tanre, and Y. J. Kaufman, “Algorithm theoretical basis document (ATBD): algorithm for remote sensing of tropospheric aerosol from MODIS,” Collection 5, Product ID: MOD04/MYD04, 2006.
- H. Huang, G. E. Thomas, and R. G. Grainger, “Relationship between wind speed and aerosol optical depth over remote ocean,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 10, no. 13, pp. 5943–5950, 2010.
- Y. Lehahn, I. Koren, E. Boss, Y. Ben-Ami, and O. Altaratz, “Estimating the maritime component of aerosol optical depth and its dependency on surface wind speed using satellite data,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 10, no. 14, pp. 6711–6720, 2010.