- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 939171, 16 pages
Global Modeling of the Oceanic Source of Organic Aerosols
1Environmental Chemical Processes Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Crete, 71003, Heraklion, Greece
2Institute for Environment and Sustainability, European Commission, Joint Research Centre, 21027, Ispra, Italy
3NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies, New York, NY 10025, USA
4Center for Climate Systems Research, Columbia University, New York, NY 10025, USA
5Department of Physics, University of Ioannina, 54110, Ioannina, Greece
6LSCE, CNRS/CEA, 91190, Gif sur Yvette, France
7Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, CNR, 40129, Bologna, Italy
8School of Physics and Environmental Change Institute, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
9Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI), P.O. Box 201, 3730 AE, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Received 16 February 2010; Revised 11 May 2010; Accepted 15 June 2010
Academic Editor: Nicholas Meskhidze
Copyright © 2010 Stelios Myriokefalitakis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Pingqing Fu, Kimitaka Kawamura, and Kazuhiko Miura, “Molecular characterization of marine organic aerosols collected during a round-the-world cruise,” Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, vol. 116, 2011.
- N. Meskhidze, J. Xu, B. Gantt, Y. Zhang, A. Nenes, S. J. Ghan, X. Liu, R. Easter, and R. Zaveri, “Global distribution and climate forcing of marine organic aerosol: 1. Model improvements and evaluation,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 11, no. 22, pp. 11689–11705, 2011.
- M. Kulmala, A. Asmi, H. K. Lappalainen, U. Baltensperger, J. -L. Brenguier, M. C. Facchini, H. -C. Hansson, O. Hov, C. D. O'Dowd, U. Poeschl, A. Wiedensohler, R. Boers, O. Boucher, G. de Leeuw, H. A. C. Denier van der Gon, J. Feichter, R. Krejci, P. Laj, H. Lihavainen, U. Lohmann, G. McFiggans, T. Mentel, C. Pilinis, I. Riipinen, M. Schulz, A. Stohl, E. Swietlicki, E. Vignati, C. Alves, M. Amann, M. Ammann, S. Arabas, P. Artaxo, H. Baars, D. C. S. Beddows, R. Bergstrom, J. P. Beukes, M. Bilde, J. F. Burkhart, F. Canonaco, S. L. Clegg, H. Coe, S. Crumeyrolle, B. D'Anna, S. Decesari, S. Gilardoni, M. Fischer, A. M. Fjaeraa, C. Fountoukis, C. George, L. Gomes, P. Halloran, T. Hamburger, R. M. Harrison, H. Herrmann, T. Hoffmann, C. Hoose, M. Hu, A. Hyvarinen, U. Horrak, Y. Iinuma, T. Iversen, M. Josipovic, M. Kanakidou, A. Kiendler-Scharr, A. Kirkevag, G. Kiss, Z. Klimont, P. Kolmonen, M. Komppula, J. -E. Kristjansson, L. Laakso, A. Laaksonen, L. Labonnote, V. A. Lanz, K. E. J. Lehtinen, L. V. Rizzo, R. Makkonen, H. E. Manninen, G. McMeeking, J. Merikanto, A. Minikin, S. Mirme, W. T. Morgan, E. Nemitz, D. O'Donnell, T. S. Panwar, H. Pawlowska, A. Petzold, J. J. Pienaar, C. Pio, C. Plass-Duelmer, A. S. H. Prevot, S. Pryor, C. L. Reddington, G. Roberts, D. Rosenfeld, J. Schwarz, O. Seland, K. Sellegri, X. J. Shen, M. Shiraiwa, H. Siebert, B. Sierau, D. Simpson, J. Y. Sun, D. Topping, P. Tunved, P. Vaattovaara, V. Vakkari, J. P. Veefkind, A. Visschedijk, H. Vuollekoski, R. Vuolo, B. Wehner, J. Wildt, S. Woodward, D. R. Worsnop, G. -J. van Zadelhoff, A. A. Zardini, K. Zhang, P. G. van Zyl, V. -M. Kerminen, K. S. Carslaw, and S. N. Pandis, “General overview: European Integrated project on Aerosol Cloud Climate and Air Quality interactions (EUCAARI) - integrating aerosol research from nano to global scales,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 11, no. 24, pp. 13061–13143, 2011.
- Y. Miyazaki, K. Kawamura, J. Jung, H. Furutani, and M. Uematsu, “Latitudinal distributions of organic nitrogen and organic carbon in marine aerosols over the western North Pacific,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 3037–3049, 2011.
- U. Im, K. Markakis, A. Poupkou, D. Melas, A. Unal, E. Gerasopoulos, N. Daskalakis, T. Kindap, and M. Kanakidou, “The impact of temperature changes on summer time ozone and its precursors in the Eastern Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 3847–3864, 2011.
- S. Myriokefalitakis, K. Tsigaridis, N. Mihalopoulos, J. Sciare, A. Nenes, K. Kawamura, A. Segers, and M. Kanakidou, “In-cloud oxalate formation in the global troposphere: a 3-D modeling study,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 5761–5782, 2011.
- K. Lapina, C. L. Heald, D. V. Spracklen, S. R. Arnold, J. D. Allan, H. Coe, G. McFiggans, S. R. Zorn, F. Drewnick, T. S. Bates, L. N. Hawkins, L. M. Russell, A. Smirnov, C. D. O'Dowd, and A. J. Hind, “Investigating organic aerosol loading in the remote marine environment,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 11, no. 17, pp. 8847–8860, 2011.
- Maria Kanakidou, Robert A. Duce, Joseph M. Prospero, Alex R. Baker, Claudia Benitez-Nelson, Frank J. Dentener, Keith A. Hunter, Peter S. Liss, Natalie Mahowald, Gregory S. Okin, Manmohan Sarin, Kostas Tsigaridis, Mitsuo Uematsu, Lauren M. Zamora, and Tong Zhu, “Atmospheric fluxes of organic N and P to the global ocean,” Global Biogeochemical Cycles, vol. 26, 2012.
- Ulas Im, Kostas Markakis, Mustafa Koçak, Evangelos Gerasopoulos, Nikos Daskalakis, Nikolaos Mihalopoulos, Anastasia Poupkou, Tayfun Kindap, Alper Unal, and Maria Kanakidou, “Summertime aerosol chemical composition in the Eastern Mediterranean and its sensitivity to temperature,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 50, pp. 164–173, 2012.
- D. M. Westervelt, R. H. Moore, A. Nenes, and P. J. Adams, “Effect of primary organic sea spray emissions on cloud condensation nuclei concentrations,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 89–101, 2012.
- Matteo Rinaldi, Sandro Fuzzi, Stefano Decesari, Salvatore Marullo, Rosalia Santoleri, Antonello Provenzale, Jost von Hardenberg, Darius Ceburnis, Aditya Vaishya, Colin D. O'Dowd, and Maria Cristina Facchini, “ Is chlorophyll- a the best surrogate for organic matter enrichment in submicron primary marine aerosol? ,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 2013.
- Pingqing Fu, Kimitaka Kawamura, Kouichi Usukura, and Kazuhiko Miura, “Dicarboxylic acids, ketocarboxylic acids and glyoxal in the marine aerosols collected during a round-the-world cruise,” Marine Chemistry, vol. 148, pp. 22–32, 2013.
- P. Q. Fu, K. Kawamura, J. Chen, B. Charriere, and R. Sempere, “Organic molecular composition of marine aerosols over the Arctic Ocean in summer: contributions of primary emission and secondary aerosol formation,” Biogeosciences, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 653–667, 2013.
- B. Gantt, and N. Meskhidze, “The physical and chemical characteristics of marine primary organic aerosol: a review,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 3979–3996, 2013.
- Kostas Tsigaridis, Dorothy Koch, and Surabi Menon, “Uncertainties and importance of sea spray composition on aerosol direct and indirect effects,” Journal Of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 220–235, 2013.
- Srinivas Bikkina, Kimitaka Kawamura, Yuzo Miyazaki, and Pingqing Fu, “High abundances of oxalic, azelaic, and glyoxylic acids and methylglyoxal in the open ocean with high biological activity: Implication for secondary SOA formation from isoprene,” Geophysical Research Letters, 2014.
- Prabha R. Nair, Susan K. George, Aryasree S., and Salu Jacob, “Chemical composition of aerosols over Bay of Bengal during pre-monsoon: Dominance of anthropogenic sources,” Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, vol. 109, pp. 54–65, 2014.
- K. Tsigaridis, N. Daskalakis, M. Kanakidou, P. J. Adams, P. Artaxo, R. Bahadur, Y. Balkanski, S. E. Bauer, N. Bellouin, A. Benedetti, T. Bergman, T. K. Berntsen, J. P. Beukes, H. Bian, K. S. Carslaw, M. Chin, G. Curci, T. Diehl, R. C. Easter, S. J. Ghan, S. L. Gong, A. Hodzic, C. R. Hoyle, T. Iversen, S. Jathar, J. L. Jimenez, J. W. Kaiser, A. Kirkevag, D. Koch, H. Kokkola, Y. H. Lee, G. Lin, X. Liu, G. Luo, X. Ma, G. W. Mann, N. Mihalopoulos, J. -J. Morcrette, J. -F. Mueller, G. Myhre, S. Myriokefalitakis, N. L. Ng, D. O'Donnell, J. E. Penner, L. Pozzoli, K. J. Pringle, L. M. Russell, M. Schulz, J. Sciare, O. Seland, D. T. Shindell, S. Sillman, R. B. Skeie, D. Spracklen, T. Stavrakou, S. D. Steenrod, T. Takemura, P. Tiitta, S. Tilmes, H. Tost, T. van Noije, P. G. van Zyl, K. von Salzen, F. Yu, Z. Wang, Z. Wang, R. A. Zaveri, H. Zhang, K. Zhang, Q. Zhang, and X. Zhang, “The AeroCom evaluation and intercomparison of organic aerosol in global models,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 10845–10895, 2014.
- F. Yu, and G. Luo, “Modeling of gaseous methylamines in the global atmosphere: impacts of oxidation and aerosol uptake,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 12455–12464, 2014.
- J. E. Williams, G. Le Bras, A. Kukui, H. Ziereis, and C. A. M. Brenninkmeijer, “The impact of the chemical production of methyl nitrate from the NO + CH3O2 reaction on the global distributions of alkyl nitrates, nitrogen oxides and tropospheric ozone: a global modelling study,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 2363–2382, 2014.
- Celia A. Alves, “Chemistry Between The Sea Surface Microlayer And Marine Aerosols,” Quimica Nova, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 1382–1400, 2014.
- T. Bergman, A. Laaksonen, H. Korhonen, J. Malila, E. M. Dunne, T. Mielonen, K. E. J. Lehtinen, T. Kühn, A. Arola, and H. Kokkola, “Geographical and diurnal features of amine-enhanced boundary layer nucleation,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 2015.
- Qingjing Hu, Peiran Yu, Yujiao Zhu, Kai Li, Huiwang Gao, and Xiaohong Yao, “Concentration, Size Distribution, and Formation of Trimethylaminium and Dimethylaminium Ions in Atmospheric Particles over Marginal Seas of China*,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 3487–3498, 2015.
- Brett Gantt, Timothy Glotfelty, Nicholas Meskhidze, and Yang Zhang, “Simulating the Impacts of Marine Organic Emissions on Global Atmospheric Chemistry and Aerosols Using an Online-Coupled Meteorology and Chemistry Model,” Atmospheric and Climate Sciences, vol. 05, no. 03, pp. 266–274, 2015.
- N. Daskalakis, S. Myriokefalitakis, and M. Kanakidou, “Sensitivity of tropospheric loads and lifetimes of short lived pollutants to fire emissions,” Atmospheric Chemistry And Physics, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 3543–3563, 2015.
- J. Sintermann, and A. Neftel, “Ideas and perspectives: on the emission of amines from terrestrial vegetation in the context of new atmospheric particle formation,” Biogeosciences, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 3225–3240, 2015.
- B. Gantt, M. S. Johnson, M. Crippa, A. S. H. Prevot, and N. Meskhidze, “Implementing marine organic aerosols into the GEOS-Chem model,” Geoscientific Model Development, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 619–629, 2015.