- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 190234, 7 pages
Diurnal and Seasonal Patterns of Methane Emissions from a Dairy Operation in North China Plain
1College of Resources and Environmental Sciences, Agricultural University of Hebei, Baoding 071000, China
2Baoding Municipal Environmental Monitoring Station, Baoding 071000, China
3College of Animal Science and Technology, Agricultural University of Hebei, Baoding 071000, China
4College of Resources and Environmental Sciences, China Agricultural University, Beijng 100193, China
5Research Branch, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0C6
Received 22 August 2011; Accepted 10 November 2011
Academic Editor: Hann-Ming Henry Juang
Copyright © 2011 Zhiling Gao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Zan, X. Fu, and S. Li, “Countermeasures, present conditions, problems and development trends of the Chinese milk industry,” Chinese Agricultural Science Bulletin, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 19–22, 2005.
- ADB, “Asian Least-Cost greenhouse gas abatement strategies-People’s Republic of China, 115–119,” Manila, Philippines: Asian Development Bank, 1999.
- D. Hongmin, L. Erda, L. Yue, R. Minjie, and Y. Qichang, “An estimation of methane emissions from agricultural activities in China,” Ambio, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 292–296, 1996.
- H. Dong, X. Tao, H. Xin, and Q. He, “Comparison of enteric methane emissions in China for different IPCC estimation methods and production schemes,” Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 2051–2057, 2004.
- C. Liu, China Dairy Year Book 2008, China Agricultural Press, Beijing, China, 2008.
- J. Ma, L. Gan, X. Qian, H. Tan, and D. Xu, “The present status of milk industry in our country and the countermeasure of sustained growth,” Journal of Agricultural Mechanization Research, vol. 1, pp. 50–52, 2006 (Chinese).
- Z. Gao, H. Yuan, W. Ma, X. Liu, and R. L. Desjardins, “Methane emissions from a dairy feedlot during the fall and winter seasons in Northern China,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 1183–1189, 2011.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, “Greenhouse gas emissions from the dairy sector: A life cycle assessment,” p. 18 and p. 32, 2010.
- T. K. Flesch, J. D. Wilson, and E. Yee, “Backward-time Lagrangian stochastic dispersion models and their application to estimate gaseous emissions,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1320–1332, 1995.
- T. K. Flesch, J. D. Wilson, L. A. Harper, B. P. Crenna, and R. R. Sharpe, “Deducing ground-to-air emissions from observed trace gas concentrations: a field trial,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 487–502, 2004.
- T. K. Flesch, J. D. Wilson, L. A. Harper, R. W. Todd, and N. A. Cole, “Determining ammonia emissions from a cattle feedlot with an inverse dispersion technique,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 144, no. 1-2, pp. 139–155, 2007.
- L. A. Harper, T. K. Flesch, and J. D. Wilson, “Ammonia emissions from broiler production in the San Joaquin Valley,” Poultry Science, vol. 89, no. 9, pp. 1802–1814, 2010.
- T. K. Flesch, R. L. Desjardins, and D. Worth, “Fugitive methane emissions from an agricultural biodigester,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 3927–3935, 2011.
- R. P. Van Haarlem, R. L. Desjardins, Z. Gao, T. K. Flesch, and X. Li, “Methane and ammonia emissions from a beef feedlot in western Canada for a twelve-day period in the fall,” Canadian Journal of Animal Science, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 641–649, 2008.
- Z. Gao, M. Mauder, R. L. Desjardins, T. K. Flesch, and R. P. van Haarlem, “Assessment of the backward Lagrangian Stochastic dispersion technique for continuous measurements of CH4 emissions,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 149, no. 9, pp. 1516–1523, 2009.
- L. A. Harper, O. T. Denmead, J. R. Freney, and F. M. Byers, “Direct measurements of methane emissions from grazing and feedlot cattle,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 1392–1401, 1999.
- R. Kinsman, F. D. Sauer, H. A. Jackson, and M. S. Wolynetz, “Methane and carbon dioxide emissions from dairy cows in full lactation monitored over a six-month period,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 2760–2766, 1995.
- Y. L. P. Le Du, R. D. Baker, and J. M. Barker, “Milk-fed calves. 2. The effect of length of milk feeding period and milk intake upon herbage intake and performance of grazing calves,” Journal of Agricultural Science, vol. 87, pp. 197–204, 1976.
- K. H. Ominski, D. A. Boadi, K. M. Wittenberg, D. L. Fulawka, and J. A. Basarab, “Estimates of enteric methane emissions from cattle in Canada using the IPCC Tier-2 methodology,” Canadian Journal of Animal Science, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 459–467, 2007.
- S. Husted, “Seasonal variation in methane emission from stored slurry and solid manures,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 585–592, 1994.
- IPCC, “Emissions from livestock and manure management,” in IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, chapter 10, 2006.
- A. B. Leytem, R. S. Dungan, D. L. Bjorneberg, and A. C. Koehn, “Emissions of ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide, and nitrous oxide from dairy cattle housing and manure management systems,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1383–1394, 2011.
- B. Amon, T. T. Amon, J. Boxberger, and C. Alt, “Emissions of NH3, N2O and CH4 from dairy cows housed in a farmyard manure tying stall (housing, manure storage, manure spreading),” Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, vol. 60, no. 1–3, pp. 103–113, 2001.
- L. A. Harper, T. K. Flesch, J. M. Powell, W. K. Coblentz, W. E. Jokela, and N. P. Martin, “Ammonia emissions from dairy production in Wisconsin,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 92, no. 5, pp. 2326–2337, 2009.
- S. M. McGinn, T. K. Flesch, L. A. Harper, and K. A. Beauchemin, “An approach for measuring methane emissions from whole farms,” Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 14–20, 2006.
- J. Laubach and F. M. Kelliher, “Methane emissions from dairy cows: comparing open-path laser measurements to profile-based techniques,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 135, no. 1–4, pp. 340–345, 2005.
- C. Grainger, T. Clarke, S. M. McGinn et al., “Methane emissions from dairy cows measured using the sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) tracer and chamber techniques,” Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 2755–2766, 2007.
- E. Kebreab, K. Clark, C. Wagner-Riddle, and J. France, “Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from Canadian animal agriculture: a review,” Canadian Journal of Animal Science, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 135–158, 2006.
- K. A. Beauchemin and S. M. McGinn, “Methane emissions from feedlot cattle fed barley or corn diets,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 653–661, 2005.
- X. P. C. Vergé, J. A. Dyer, R. L. Desjardins, and D. Worth, “Greenhouse gas emissions from the Canadian dairy industry in 2001,” Agricultural Systems, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 683–693, 2007.
- F. D. Sauer, V. Fellner, R. Kinsman et al., “Methane output and lactation response in holstein cattle with monensin or unsaturated fat added to the diet,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 906–914, 1998.
- K. R. Lassey, “Livestock methane emission: from the individual grazing animal through national inventories to the global methane cycle,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 142, no. 2–4, pp. 120–132, 2007.
- J. Li, Modern Dairy Cattle Production, China Agricultural University Press, Beijing, China, 2007.
- J. Wang, Modern Dairy Breeding, China Agriculture Press, Beijing, China, 2006.
- K. Johnson, M. Huyler, H. Westberg, B. Lamb, and P. Zimmerman, “Measurement of methane emissions from ruminant livestock using a SF6 tracer technique,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 359–362, 1994.
- D. A. Boadi and K. M. Wittenberg, “Methane production from dairy and beef heifers fed forages differing in nutrient density using the sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) tracer gas technique,” Canadian Journal of Animal Science, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 201–206, 2002.
- T. A. McAllister, E. K. Okine, G. W. Mathison, and K. J. Cheng, “Dietary, environmental and microbiological aspects of methane production in ruminants,” Canadian Journal of Animal Science, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 231–243, 1996.
- M. A. Kujawa, Energy partitioning in steers fed cottonseed hulls and beet pulp, Ph.D Dissertation, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo, USA, 1994.