- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 621235, 13 pages
Analysis of WRF Model Performance over Subtropical Region of Delhi, India
Centre for Atmospheric Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110 016, India
Received 22 December 2010; Revised 4 March 2011; Accepted 29 March 2011
Academic Editor: Sven-Erik Gryning
Copyright © 2011 Manju Mohan and Shweta Bhati. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Borge, V. Alexandrov, J. José del Vas, J. Lumbreras, and E. Rodríguez, “A comprehensive sensitivity analysis of the WRF model for air quality applications over the Iberian Peninsula,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 37, pp. 8560–8574, 2008.
- J. H. Kwun, Y. K. Kim, J. W. Seo, J. H. Jeong, and S. H. You, “Sensitivity of MM5 and WRF mesoscale model predictions of surface winds in a typhoon to planetary boundary layer parameterizations,” Natural Hazards, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 63–77, 2009.
- J. R. Krieger, J. Zhang, D. E. Atkinson, X. Zhang, and M. D. Shulski, “Sensitivity of WRF model forecasts to different physical parameterizations in the Beaufort sea region,” in Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Coastal Atmospheric and Oceanic Prediction and Processes Phoenix, Ariz, USA, 2009.
- J. J. Ruiz, C. Saulo, and J. Nogués-Paegle, “WRF model sensitivity to choice of parameterization over South America: validation against surface variables,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 138, no. 8, pp. 3342–3355, 2010.
- J. Jin, N. L. Miller, and N. Schlegel, “Sensitivity study of four land surface schemes in the WRF model,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 167436, 11 pages, 2010.
- C. Misenis, X. Hu, S. Krishnan, and Y. Zhang, “Sensitivity of WRF/CHEM predictions to meteorological schemes,” in Proceedings of the 14th Joint Conference on the Applications of Air Pollution Meteorology with the Air and Waste Management Association, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2006.
- E. Flaounas, S. Bastin, and S. Janicot, “Regional climate modelling of the 2006 West African monsoon: sensitivity to convection and planetary boundary layer parameterisation using WRF,” Climate Dynamics, pp. 1–23, 2010.
- M. Rajeevan, A. Kesarkar, S. B. Thampi, T. N. Rao, B. Radhakrishna, and M. Rajasekhar, “Sensitivity of WRF cloud microphysics to simulations of a severe thunderstorm event over Southeast India,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 603–619, 2010.
- S. Pattanayak and U. C. Mohanty, “A comparative study on performance of MM5 and WRF models in simulation of tropical cyclones over Indian seas,” Current Science, vol. 95, no. 7, pp. 923–936, 2008.
- S. K. Deb, T. P. Srivastava, and C. M. Kishtawal, “The WRF model performance for the simulation of heavy precipitating events over Ahmedabad during August 2006,” Journal of Earth System Science, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 589–602, 2008.
- A. Kumar, J. Dudhia, R. Rotunno, D. Niyogi, and U. C. Mohanty, “Analysis of the 26 July 2005 heavy rain event over Mumbai, India using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF)model,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 134, no. 636, pp. 1897–1910, 2008.
- Y. V. Rama Rao, H. R. Hatwar, A. K. Salah, and Y. Sudhakar, “An experiment using the high resolution Eta and WRF models to forecast heavy precipitation over India,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 164, no. 8-9, pp. 1593–1615, 2007.
- J. Dudhia, “WRF Modeling System Overview,” 2010, http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/201001/WRF_Overview_Dudhia.pdf.
- National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), ARW Version 3 Modeling System’s User’s Guide, NCAR, Boulder, Colo, USA, 2010.
- National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), “A description of the advanced research WRF Version 3,” NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-475+STR, NCAR, Boulder, Colo, USA, 2008.
- S. H. Chen and W. Y. Sun, “A one-dimensional time dependent cloud model,” Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 99–118, 2002.
- S. Y. Hong, J. O. J. Lim, and J. Dudhia, “The WRF single-moment 6-class microphysics scheme (WSM6),” Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, vol. 42, pp. 129–151, 2004.
- E. Rogers, T. Black, B. Ferrier, Y. Lin, D. Parrish, and G. Di Mego, “Changes to the NCEP Meso Eta Analysis and Forecast System: increase in resolution, new cloud microphyics, modified precipitation assimilation, modified 3DVAR analysis,” NWS Technical Procedures Bulletin, 2001.
- J. S. Kain and J. Kain, “The Kain - Fritsch convective parameterization: an update,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 170–181, 2004.
- W. C. Skamarock, J. B. Klemp, J. Dudhia, et al., “A description of the advanced research WRF version,” Technical Note TN-468+STR, NCAR, Boulder, Colo, USA, 2005.
- Z. I. Janjic, “Nonsingular Implementation of the Mellor—Yamada Level 2.5 Scheme in the NCEP Mesomodel,” NCEP Office Note 437, 2002.
- R. C. Gilliam and J. E. Pleim, “Performance assessment of new land surface and planetary boundary layer physics in the WRF-ARW,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 760–774, 2010.
- S. Y. Hong, Y. Noh, and J. Dudhia, “A new vertical diffusion package with an explicit treatment of entrainment processes,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 134, no. 9, pp. 2318–2341, 2006.
- F. Chen and J. Dudhia, “Coupling and advanced land surface-hydrology model with the Penn State-NCAR MM5 modeling system—part I: model implementation and sensitivity,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 129, no. 4, pp. 569–585, 2001.
- M. B. Ek, K. E. Mitchell, Y. Lin et al., “Implementation of Noah land surface model advances in the National Centers for Environmental Prediction operational mesoscale Eta model,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 22, pp. 1–16, 2003.
- E. J. Mlawer, S. J. Taubman, P. D. Brown, M. J. Iacono, and S. A. Clough, “Radiative transfer for inhomogeneous atmospheres: RRTM, a validated correlated-k model for the longwave,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 102, no. 14, pp. 663–682, 1997.
- J. Dudhia, “Numerical study of convection observed during the Winter Monsoon Experiment using a mesoscale two-dimensional model,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 46, no. 20, pp. 3077–3107, 1989.
- GIS Development Geospatial Resource Portal, “Earthquakes in Delhi,” 2009, http://www.gisdevelopment.net/application/natural_hazards/earthquakes/nheq0007.htm.
- Weather Underground, “About our Data,” http://www.wunderground.com/about/data.asp.
- WMO Guide to Meteorological Instruments and Methods of Observation, http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/IMOP/publications/CIMO-Guide/CIMO_Guide-7th_Edition-2008.html.
- J. J. Cassano and M. E. Higgins, “Development of a regional arctic climate system model: performance of WRF for regional pan-Arctic atmospheric simulations,” in Proceedings of the 11th WRF Users' Workshop National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colo, USA, 2010.
- T. Prabha and G. Hoogenboom, “Evaluation of the Weather Research and Forecasting model for two frost events,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 234–247, 2008.
- V. S. Challa, J. Indrcanti, J. M. Baham et al., “Sensitivity of atmospheric dispersion simulations by HYSPLIT to the meteorological predictions from a meso-scale model,” Environmental Fluid Mechanics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 367–387, 2008.
- S. Mayer, A. Sandvik, M. O. Jonassen, and J. Reuder, “Atmospheric profiling with the UAS SUMO: a new perspective for the evaluation of fine-scale atmospheric models,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 2010.
- S. R. Hanna, B. Reen, E. Hendrick et al., “Comparison of observed, MM5 and WRF-NMM model-simulated, and HPAC-assumed boundary-layer meteorological variables for 3 days during the IHOP field experiment,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 285–306, 2010.
- S. Das, R. Ashrit, G. R. Iyengar et al., “Skills of different mesoscale models over Indian region during monsoon season: forecast errors,” Journal of Earth System Science, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 603–620, 2008.
- J. W. Nielsen-Gammon, X.-M. Hu, F. Zhang, and J. E. Pleim, “Evaluation of planetary boundary layer scheme sensitivities for the purpose of parameter estimation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 3400–3417, 2010.
- X.-M. Hu, J. W. Nielsen-Gammon, and F. Zhang, “Evaluation of three planetary boundary layer schemes in the WRF model,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 1831–1844, 2010.