- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 717812, 11 pages
Blocking Detection Based on Synoptic Filters
Meteorologisches Institut, KlimaCampus, University of Hamburg, Grindelberg 5, 20144 Hamburg, Germany
Received 26 December 2010; Revised 1 March 2011; Accepted 21 March 2011
Academic Editor: Hann-Ming Henry Juang
Copyright © 2011 Bernd Schalge et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Rex, “Blocking action in the middle troposphere and itseffects on regional climate. I. An aerological study of blockingaction,” Tellus, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 196–211, 1950.
- A. R. Lupo, “Climatological features of blocking anticyclones in the Northern Hemisphere,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 439–456, 1995.
- H. Lejenäs and R. A. Madden, “Traveling planetary-scale waves and blocking,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 120, no. 12, pp. 2821–2830, 1992.
- A. R. Lupo, R. J. Oglesby, and I. I. Mokhov, “Climatological features of blocking anticyclones: a study of Northern Hemisphere CCM1 model blocking events in present-day and double concentration atmospheres,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 181–195, 1997.
- S. Tibaldi, F. D'Andrea, E. Tosi, and E. Roeckner, “Climatology of Northern Hemisphere blocking in the ECHAM model,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 649–666, 1997.
- R. M. Dole and N. D. Gordon, “Persistent anomalies of the extratropical Northern Hemisphere wintertime circulation: geographical distribution and regional persistence characteristics,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 111, no. 8, pp. 1567–1586, 1983.
- J. L. Pelly and B. J. Hoskins, “A new perspective on blocking,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 743–755, 2003.
- J. S. Watson and S. J. Colucci, “Evaluation of ensemble predictions of blocking in the NCEP global spectral model,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 130, no. 12, pp. 3008–3021, 2002.
- H. Lejenäs and H. Økland, “Characteristics of Northern Hemisphere blocking as determined from a long time series of observational data,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 350–362, 1983.
- S. C. Scherrer, M. Croci-Maspoli, C. Schwierz, and C. Appenzeller, “Two-dimensional indices of atmospheric blocking and their statistical relationship with winter climate patterns in the Euro-Atlantic region,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 233–249, 2006.
- S. M. Uppala, P. W. Kållberg, A. J. Simmons et al., “The ERA-40 re-analysis,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 131, no. 612, pp. 2961–3012, 2005.
- F. Kreienkamp, A. Spekat, and W. Enke, “Stationarity of atmosphericwaves and blocking over Europe—based on a reanalysisdataset and two climate scenarios,” Theoretical andApplied Climatology, vol. 102, no. 1-2, pp. 205–212, 2010.
- D. Barriopedro, R. García-Herrera, A. R. Lupo, and E. Hernández, “A climatology of Northern Hemisphere blocking,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1042–1063, 2006.
- H. Athar and R. Lupo, “Scale analysis of blocking eventsfrom 2002 to 2004: a case study of an unusually persistentblocking event leading to a heat wave in the Gulf of Alaskaduring August 2004,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 610263, 2010.
- R. D. F. C. Marques and V. B. Rao, “Interannual variations of blockings in the Southern Hemisphere and their energetics,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 4625–4636, 2000.
- J. M. Wiedenmann, A. R. Lupo, I. I. Mokhov, and E. A. Tikhonova, “The climatology of blocking anticyclones for the Northern and Southern Hemispheres: block intensity as a diagnostic,” Journal of Climate, vol. 15, no. 23, pp. 3459–3473, 2002.
- P. Berrisford, B. J. Hoskins, and E. Tyrlis, “Blocking and Rossby wave breaking on the dynamical tropopause in the Southern hemisphere,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 2881–2898, 2007.
- J. A. Renwick, “Persistent positive anomalies in the Southern Hemisphere circulation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 133, no. 4, pp. 977–988, 2005.