- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 890759, 11 pages
Moisture Sources and Life Cycle of Convective Systems over Western Colombia
1Research Institute for Meteorology and Water Resources, Avenida Rui Barbosa, 1246, 60115-221 Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
2Institute of Astronomy, Geophysics and Atmospheric Sciences, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Escuela de Geociencias y Medio Ambiente, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Sede Medellín, Medellín, Colombia
Received 31 August 2011; Revised 7 December 2011; Accepted 8 December 2011
Academic Editor: Klaus Dethloff
Copyright © 2011 Meiry Sayuri Sakamoto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Snow, “The climate of northern South America,” in Climates of Central and South America, W. Schwerdtfeger, Ed., pp. 295–403, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1976.
- J. A. Eslava, “Acerca de la distribución espacio-temporal de la precipitación en la región del Pacifico Colombiano,” Atmosfera, vol. 22, pp. 71–80, 1994.
- B. E. Mapes, T. T. Warner, M. Xu, and A. J. Negri, “Diurnal patterns of rainfall in northwestern South America—part I: observations and context,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 799–812, 2003.
- G. Poveda and O. J. Mesa, “On the existence of Lloró (the rainiest locality on earth): enhanced ocean-land-atmosphere interaction by a low-level jet,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1675–1678, 2000.
- B. N. Meisner and P. A. Arkin, “Spatial and annual variations in the diurnal cycle of large-scale tropical convective cloudiness and precipitation,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 115, pp. 2009–2030, 1987.
- J. D. Horel, A. N. Hahmann, and J. E. Geisler, “An investigation of the annual cycle of convective activity over the tropical Americas,” Journal of Climate, vol. 2, pp. 1388–1403, 1989.
- R. D. Garreaud and J. M. Wallace, “The diurnal march of convective cloudiness over the Americas,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 125, no. 12, pp. 3157–3171, 1997.
- R. F. Adler, G. J. Huffman, D. T. Bolvin, S. Curtis, and E. J. Nelkin, “Tropical rainfall distributions determined using TRMM combined with other satellite and rain gauge information,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2007–2023, 2000.
- I. Velasco and J. M. Fritsch, “Mesoscale convective complexes in the Americas,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 92, no. 8, pp. 9591–9613, 1987.
- L. A. T. Machado, W. B. Rossow, R. L. Guedes, and A. W. Walker, “Life cycle variations of mesoscale convective systems over the Americas,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 126, no. 6, pp. 1630–1654, 1998.
- M. D. Zuluaga and G. Poveda, “Diagnostics of mesoscale convective systems over Colombia and the eastern Pacific during 1998–2002,” Avances en Recursos Hidráulicos, vol. 11, pp. 145–160, 2004 (Spanish).
- G. Barnes, “Severe local storms in the tropics,” in Severe Convective Storms, C. A. Doswell III, Ed., vol. 28 of Meteorological Monograph, pp. 359–432, American Meteor Society, 2001.
- C. A. Doswell, “Severe weather storms—an overview,” in Severe Convective Storms, C. A. Doswell III, Ed., vol. 28 of Meteorological Monograph, pp. 1–26, American Meteor Society, 2001.
- B. E. Mapes, T. T. Warner, and M. Xu, “Diurnal patterns of rainfall in northwestern South America—part III: diurnal gravity waves and nocturnal convection offshore,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 830–844, 2003.
- T. T. Warner, B. E. Mapes, and M. Xu, “Diurnal patterns of rainfall in northwestern South America—part II: model simulations,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 131, no. 5, pp. 813–829, 2003.
- J. F. Mejia and G. Poveda, “Atmospheric environments of mesoscale convective systems over Colombia during 1998 using TRMM and NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data,” Revista Academia Colombiana de Ciencias, vol. 29, no. 113, pp. 495–514, 2005.
- J. E. Janowiak, R. J. Joyce, and Y. Yarosh, “A real-time global half-hourly pixel-resolution infrared dataset and its applications,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 205–217, 2001.
- G. Poveda, A. Jaramillo, M. M. Gil, N. Quiceno, and R. I. Mantilla, “Seasonality in ENSO-related precipitation, river discharges, soil moisture, and vegetation index in Colombia,” Water Resources Research, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 2169–2178, 2001.
- G. Poveda, P. R. Waylen, and R. S. Pulwarty, “Annual and inter-annual variability of the present climate in northern South America and southern Mesoamerica,” Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 234, no. 1, pp. 3–27, 2006.
- D. A. Vila, L. A. T. Machado, H. Laurent, and I. Velasco, “Forecast and tracking the evolution of cloud clusters (ForTraCC) using satellite infrared imagery: methodology and validation,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 233–245, 2008.
- L. A. T. Machado and H. Laurent, “The convective system area expansion over Amazonia and its relationships with convective system life duration and high-level wind divergence,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 714–725, 2004.
- J. R. Siqueira, W. B. Rossow, L. A. T. Machado, and C. Pearl, “Structural characteristics of convective systems over South America related to cold-frontal incursions,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 1045–1064, 2005.
- P. Salio, M. Nicolini, and E. J. Zipser, “Mesoscale convective systems over southeastern South America and their relationship with the South American low-level jet,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 135, no. 4, pp. 1290–1309, 2007.
- A. Stohl and P. James, “A Lagrangian analysis of the atmospheric branch of the global water cycle—part 1: method description, validation, and demonstration for the August 2002 flooding in central Europe,” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 656–678, 2004.
- A. Stohl and P. James, “A Lagrangian analysis of the atmospheric branch of the global water cycle—part II: moisture transports between earth's ocean basins and river catchments,” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 961–984, 2005.
- ECMWF, IFS Documentation, Reading, UK, 2002, Edited by P. W. White.
- A. Drumond, R. Nieto, L. Gimeno, and T. Ambrizzi, “A Lagrangian identification of major sources of moisture over Central Brazil and la Plata Basin,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 14, Article ID D14128, 2008.
- A. Numaguti, “Origin and recycling processes of precipitating water over the Eurasian continent: experiments using an atmospheric general circulation model,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 1957–1972, 1999.
- A. G. Laing and J. M. Fritsch, “The global population of mesoscale convective complexes,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 123, no. 538, pp. 389–405, 1997.
- J. D. Durkee and T. L. Mote, “A climatology of warm-season mesoscale convective complexes in subtropical South America,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 418–431, 2010.
- S. W. Nesbitt and E. J. Zipser, “The diurnal cycle of rainfall and convective intensity according to three years of TRMM measurements,” Journal of Climate, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 1456–1475, 2003.
- R. A. Maddox, “Mesoscale convective complexes (USA),” Bulletin, American Meteorological Society, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 1374–1387, 1980.
- J. E. Janowiak, P. A. Arkin, and M. Morrissey, “An examination of the diurnal cycle in oceanic tropical rainfall using satellite and in situ data,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 122, no. 10, pp. 2296–2311, 1994.
- B. E. Mapes and R. A. Houze Jr., “Cloud clusters and superclusters over the oceanic warm pool,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 1398–1415, 1993.
- L. A. Toledo Machado, M. Desbois, and J. P. Duvel, “Structural characteristics of deep convective systems over tropical Africa and the Atlantic Ocean,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 392–406, 1992.
- W. M. Gray and R. W. Jacobson Jr., “Diurnal variation of deep cumulus convection,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 105, pp. 1171–1188, 1977.
- D. A. Randall, Harshvardhan, and D. A. Dazlich, “Diurnal variability of the hydrologic cycle in a general circulation model,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 40–62, 1991.
- J. M. Fritsch and G. S. Forbes, “Mesoscale convective systems,” in Severe Convective Storms, C. A. Doswell III, Ed., vol. 28 of Meteorological Monograph, pp. 323–357, American Meteor Society, 2001.
- R. Nieto, L. Gimeno, D. Gallego, and R. Trigo, “Contributions to the moisture budget of airmasses over Iceland,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 37–44, 2007.
- R. Nieto, L. Gimeno, and R. M. Trigo, “A Lagrangian identification of major sources of Sahel moisture,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 18, Article ID L18707, 2006.
- A. Stohl, C. Forster, and H. Sodemann, “Remote sources of water vapor forming precipitation on the Norwegian west coast at 60°N—a tale of hurricanes and an atmospheric river,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 5, Article ID D05102, 2008.
- P. James, A. Stohl, N. Spichtinger, S. Eckhardt, and C. Forster, “Climatological aspects of the extreme European rainfall of August 2002 and a trajectory method for estimating the associated evaporative source regions,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, vol. 4, no. 5-6, pp. 733–746, 2004.
- R. García-Herrera, D. Barriopedro, E. Hernández, D. Paredes, J. F. Correos, and L. Prieto, “The 2001 mesoscale monvective systems over Iberia and the Balearic Islands,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 90, no. 3-4, pp. 225–243, 2005.
- D. J. Seidel, Water Vapor: Distribution and Trends, Encyclopedia of Global Environmental Change, John Wiley & Sons, 2002.
- A. M. Durán-Quesada, L. Gimeno, J. A. Amador, and R. Nieto, “Moisture sources for Central America: identification of moisture sources using a Lagrangian analysis technique,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 115, article D05103, 15 pages, 2010.