- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 893790, 14 pages
Temperature and Precipitation Development at Svalbard 1900–2100
1Norwegian Meteorological Institute, P.O. Box 43 Blindern, 0313 Oslo, Norway
2Telemark University College, P.O. Box 203, 3901 Porsgrunn, Norway
Received 26 September 2011; Revised 6 December 2011; Accepted 20 December 2011
Academic Editor: Stefania Argentini
Copyright © 2011 Eirik J. Førland et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- ACIA, Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, Cambridge University Press, 2005, http://www.amap.no/acia/.
- IPCC, Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Chan, Cambridge University Press, 2007, Edited by S. Solomon, D. Quin et al.
- G. H. Miller, R. B. Alley, J. Brigham-Grette et al., “Arctic amplification: can the past constrain the future?” Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 29, no. 15-16, pp. 1779–1790, 2010.
- P. L. Langen and V. A. Alexeev, “Polar amplification as a preferred response in an idealized aquaplanet GCM,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 29, no. 2-3, pp. 305–317, 2007.
- M. C. Serreze, A. P. Barrett, and J. J. Cassano, “Circulation and surface controls on the lower troposheric air temperature field of the Artic,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 116, Article ID D07104, 2011.
- SWIPA, “Snow, Water, Ice and Permafrost in the Arctic,” 2011, http://www.amap.no/swipa/.
- G. A. Meehl, C. Covey, T. Delworth et al., “The WCRP CMIP3 multimodel dataset: a new era in climatic change research,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 1383–1394, 2007.
- J. Räisänen, “CO2-induced changes in interannual temperature and precipitation variability in 19 CMIP2 experiments,” Journal of Climate, vol. 15, no. 17, pp. 2395–2411, 2002.
- Ø. Nordli, “The Svalbard airport temperature series,” Bulletin of Geography-physical geography series, no.3/2010:5-26, 2010.
- E. J. Førland, I. Hanssen-Bauer, and Ø. Nordli, “Climate statistics and long-term series of temperature and precipitation at Svalbard and Jan Mayen,” DNMI-Report 21/97, Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Oslo, Norway, 1997.
- Ø. Nordli, I. Hanssen-Bauer, and E. J. Førland, “Homogeneity analyses of temperature and precipitation series from Svalbard and Jan Mayen,” DNMI-Report 16/96, Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Oslo, Norway, 1996.
- WMO, “Calculation of monthly 30-year standard normals,” WMO-TD 341, World Meteorological Organisation, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989.
- I. Hanssen-Bauer, “Temperature and precipitation in Svalbard 1912–2050: measurements and scenarios,” Polar Record, vol. 38, no. 206, pp. 225–232, 2002.
- I. V. Polyakov, R. V. Bekryaev, G. V. Alekseev et al., “Variability and trends of air temperature and pressure in the maritime Arctic, 1875–2000,” Journal of Climate, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 2067–2077, 2003.
- I. Hanssen-Bauer and E. J. Førland, “Long-term trends in precipitation and temperature in the Norwegian Arctic: can they be explained by changes in atmospheric circulation patterns?” Climate Research, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 143–153, 1998.
- I. G. Rigor, R. L. Colony, and S. Martin, “Variations in surface air temperature observations in the Arctic, 1979–97,” Journal of Climate, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 896–914, 2000.
- J. E. Overland and M. Wang, “Large-scale atmospheric circulation changes are associated with the recent loss of Arctic sea ice,” Tellus A, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2010.
- J., Overland, M. Wang, and J. Walsh, “Atmosphere,” 2011, http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/reportcard/atmosphere.html.
- R. E. Benestad, “What can present climate models tell us about climate change?” Climatic Change, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 311–331, 2003.
- L. Bengtsson, V. A. Semenov, and O. M. Johannessen, “The early twentieth-century warming in the arctic—a possible mechanism,” Journal of Climate, vol. 17, no. 20, pp. 4045–4057, 2004.
- R. Sneyers, “On statistical analysis of series of observations,” WMO Technical Note 143, Geneva, Switzerland, 1990.
- E. J. Førland and I. Hanssen-Bauer, “Increased precipitation in the Norwegian Arctic: true or false?” Climatic Change, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 485–509, 2000.
- A. Sorteberg, T. Furevik, H. Drange, and N. G. Kvamstø, “Effects of simulated natural variability on Arctic temperature projections,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 18, Article ID L18708, 4 pages, 2005.
- R. E. Benestad, “On latitudinal profiles of zonal means,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 19, Article ID L19713, 4 pages, 2005.
- J. E. Walsh, W. L. Chapman, V. Romanovsky, J. H. Christensen, and M. Stendel, “Global climate model performance over Alaska and Greenland,” Journal of Climate, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 6156–6174, 2008.
- J. E. Haugen and T. Iversen, “Response in extremes of daily precipitation and wind from a downscaled multi-model ensemble of anthropogenic global climate change scenarios,” Tellus A, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 411–426, 2008.
- M. Stendel, J. H. Christensen, and D. Petersen, “Arctic climate and climate change with a focus on greenland,” Advances in Ecological Research, vol. 40, pp. 13–43, 2008.
- E. J. Førland, R. E. Benestad, F. Flatøy, et al., “Climate development in North Norway and the Svalbard region during 1900–2100,” Norwegian Polar Institute Report 128, 2009.
- S. Uppala, P. W. Kållberg, A. J. Simmons et al., “The ERA-40 re-analysis,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 131, no. 612, pp. 2961–3012, 2005.
- T. Engen-Skaugen, “Refinement of dynamically downscaled precipitation and temperature scenarios,” Climatic Change, vol. 84, no. 3-4, pp. 365–382, 2007.
- F. Giorgi and B. Hewitson, “Regional climate information—evaluation and projections,” in Climate Change 2001: the Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, J. T. Houghton, Y. Ding, D. J. Griggs, et al., Eds., pp. 583–638, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2001.
- I. Hanssen-Bauer, C. Achberger, R. E. Benestad, D. Chen, and E. J. Førland, “Statistical downscaling of climate scenarios over Scandinavia,” Climate Research, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 255–268, 2005.
- R. E. Benestad, “A new global set of downscaled temperature scenarios,” Journal of Climate, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 2080–2098, 2011.
- R. E. Benestad, “Empirical-Statistical downscaled Arctic temperature and precipitation series,” Met.no Report 10/2008 Climate, 2008.
- R. E. Benestad, “Extension of the NorACIA and EALAT downscaling,” Met.no Note 21, 2010.
- E. J. Førland, R. E. Benestad, I. Hanssen-Bauer, and J. E. Haugen, Future Climate Development in the NorACIA-Region. Combined Results from Simulations with Different Climate Models, Brief Report Series, no. 023, Norwegian Polar Institute, 2011, (In Norwegian).
- SRES, IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2000.
- P. D. Jones, “The early twentieth century Arctic high—fact or fiction?” Climate Dynamics, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 63–75, 1987.
- R. E. Benestad, I. Hanssen-Bauer, and E. J. Førland, “An evaluation of statistical models for downscaling precipitation and their ability to capture long-term trends,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 649–665, 2007.
- N. Oreskes, D. A. Stainforth, and L. A. Smith, “Adaptation to global warming: do climate models tell us what we need to know?” Philosophy of Science, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 1012–1028, 2010.
- T. Palmer, “A CERN for climate change,” Physics World, vol. 24, no. 14-15, 2011.
- E. J. Førland, T. E. Skaugen, R. E. Benestad, I. Hanssen-Bauer, and O. E. Tveito, “Variations in thermal growing, heating, and freezing indices in the Nordic Arctic, 1900–2050,” Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 347–356, 2004.