- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 157020, 14 pages
Intercontinental Transport and Climatic Impact of Saharan and Sahelian Dust
Laboratoire de Physique de l'Atmosphère, Université de Cocody, 22 BP 582 Abidjan 22, Cote d'Ivoire
Received 30 December 2011; Revised 15 May 2012; Accepted 31 May 2012
Academic Editor: Dimitris G. Kaskaoutis
Copyright © 2012 N'Datchoh Evelyne Touré et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Servat, J. E. Paturel, H. Lubès, B. Kouamé, M. Ouedraogo, and J. M. Masson, “Climatic variability in humid Africa along the Gulf of Guinea. Part I: detailed analysis of the phenomenon in Cote d'Ivoire,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 191, no. 1–4, pp. 1–15, 1997.
- X. Zheng and E. A. B. Eltahir, “The response to deforestation and desertification in a model of West African monsoons,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 155–158, 1997.
- N. Brooks and M. Legrand, “Dust variability over northern Africa and rainfall in the Sahel,” in Linking Climate Change to Landsurface Change, S. J. McLaren and D. Kniveton, Eds., chapter 1, pp. 1–25, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- M. O. Andreae, “Climatic effects of changing atmospheric aerosol levels,” in World Survey of Climatology, A. Henderson-Seller, Ed., vol. 16 of Future Climates of the World, pp. 341–392, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- R. A. Duce, “Sources, distributions, and fluxes of mineral aerosols and their relationship to climate,” in Aerosol Forcing of Climate, R. J. Charson and J. Heintzenberg, Eds., pp. 43–72, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- L. Schultz, Jaenicke, and H. Pieter, “Sahara dust transport over the north Atlantic ocean,” in Desert Dust: Origin, Characteristics, and Effect on Man, T. L. Péwé, Ed., pp. 87–100, The Geological Society of America, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1981.
- G. A. D'almeida, “On the variability of desert aerosol radiative characteristics,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 3017–3026, 1987.
- R. Swap, M. Garstang, S. Greco, R. Talbot, and P. Kallberg, “Saharan dust in the Amazon Basin,” Tellus B, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 133–149, 1992.
- B. Laurent, B. Marticorena, G. Bergametti, J. F. Léon, and N. M. Mahowald, “Modeling mineral dust emissions from the Sahara desert using new surface properties and soil database,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 14, Article ID D14218, 2008.
- M. Legrand, A. Plana-Fattori, and C. N'Doumé, “Satellite detection of dust using the IR imagery of Meteosat 1. Infrared difference dust index,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 18251–18274, 2001.
- J. M. Prospero, P. Ginoux, O. Torres, S. E. Nicholson, and T. E. Gill, “Environmental characterization of global sources of atmospheric soil dust identified with the Nimbus 7 Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) absorbing aerosol product,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–31, 2002.
- S. Engelstaedter, I. Tegen, and R. Washington, “North African dust emissions and transport,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 79, no. 1-2, pp. 73–100, 2006.
- G. A. D'Almeida, “A model for Saharan dust transport,” Journal of Climate & Applied Meteorology, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 903–916, 1986.
- C. Moulin, C. E. Lambert, U. Dayan et al., “Satellite climatology of African dust transport in the Mediterranean atmosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 13137–13144, 1998.
- J. M. Prospero and P. J. Lamb, “African droughts and dust transport to the Caribbean: climate change implications,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5647, pp. 1024–1027, 2003.
- I. Borbely-Kiss, A. Z. Kiss, E. Koltay, G. Szabo, and L. Bozó, “Saharan dust episodes in Hungarian aerosol: elemental signatures and transport trajectories,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1205–1224, 2004.
- P. L. Israelevich, E. Ganor, Z. Levin, and J. H. Joseph, “Annual variations of physical properties of desert dust over Israel,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 13, article 4381, pp. 1–9, 2003.
- T. Y. Tanaka, Y. Kurosaki, M. Chiba et al., “Possible transcontinental dust transport from North Africa and the Middle East to East Asia,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 39, no. 21, pp. 3901–3909, 2005.
- P. Alpert and E. Ganor, “Sahara mineral dust measurements from TOMS: comparison to surface observations over the Middle East for the extreme dust storm, March 14–17, 1998,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 18275–18286, 2001.
- H. Liao and J. H. Seinfeld, “Radiative forcing by mineral dust aerosol: sensitivity to key variables,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 103, no. 24, pp. 31,637–31,645, 1998.
- D. Tanré, J. Haywood, J. Pelon et al., “Measurement and modeling of the Saharan dust radiative impact: overview of the Saharan Dust Experiment (SHADE),” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 18, pp. 1–12, 2003.
- IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change), “Fourth assessment report: climate change 2007 (AR4),” in Contribution of Working Group I: The Physical Science Basis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- K. M. Lau, K. M. Kim, Y. C. Sud, and G. K. Walker, “A GCM study of the response of the atmospheric water cycle of West Africa and the Atlantic to Saharan dust radiative forcing,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 4023–4037, 2009.
- A. Konaré, A. S. Zakey, F. Solmon et al., “A regional climate modeling study of the effect of desert dust on the West African monsoon,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 12, Article ID D12206, 2008.
- F. Solmon, M. Mallet, N. Elguindi, F. Giorgi, A. Zakey, and A. Konaré, “Dust aerosol impact on regional precipitation over western Africa, mechanisms and sensitivity to absorption properties,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 35, no. 24, Article ID L24705, 2008.
- M. Yoshioka, N. M. Mahowald, A. J. Conley et al., “Impact of desert dust radiative forcing on sahel precipitation: relative importance of dust compared to sea surface temperature variations, vegetation changes, and greenhouse gas warming,” Journal of Climate, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 1445–1467, 2007.
- K. M. Kim, W. K. M. Lau, Y. C. Sud, and G. K. Walker, “Influence of aerosol-radiative forcings on the diurnal and seasonal cycles of rainfall over West Africa and Eastern Atlantic Ocean using GCM simulations,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 115–126, 2010.
- F. Giorgi, M. R. Marinucci, G. T. Bates, and G. De Canio, “Development of a second-generation regional climate model (RegCM2). Part II: convective processes and assimilation of lateral boundary conditions,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 121, no. 10, pp. 2814–2832, 1993.
- J. S. Pal, F. Giorgi, X. Bi et al., “Regional climate modeling for the developing world: the ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 1395–1409, 2007.
- A. S. Zakey, F. Solmon, and F. Giorgi, “Development and testing of a desert dust module in a regional climate model,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 1749–1792, 2006.
- D. F. Zhang, A. S. Zakey, X. J. Gao, F. Giorgi, and F. Solmon, “Simulation of dust aerosol and its regional feedbacks over East Asia using a regional climate model,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1095–1110, 2009.
- F. Giorgi and G. T. Bates, “The climatological skill of a regional model over complex terrain,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 117, no. 11, pp. 2325–2347, 1989.
- R. Dickinson, A. Henderson-Sellers, and P. Kennedy, “Biosphere-atmosphere transfer scheme (bats) version 1e as coupled to the NCAR community climate model,” Technical Report National Center for Atmospheric Research, 1993.
- L. Zobler, “A world soil file for global climate modeling,” NASA—Technical Memorandum 87 802, 1986.
- J. T. Kiehl, J. J. Hack, G. B. Bonan et al., “Description of the ncar community climate model (ccm3),” Technical Report CAR/TN-420+STR National Center for Atmospheric Research, 1996.
- M. G. N’Tchayi, J. Bertrand, M. Legrand, and J. Baudet, “Temporal and spatial variations of the atmospheric dust loading throughout West Africa over the last thirty years,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 12, no. 2-3, pp. 265–273, 1994.
- K. D. Perry, T. A. Cahill, R. A. Eldred, D. D. Dutcher, and T. E. Gill, “Long-range transport of North African dust to the eastern United States,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 11225–11238, 1997.
- Y. J. Kaufman, I. Koren, L. A. Remer, D. Tanré, P. Ginoux, and S. Fan, “Dust transport and deposition observed from the Terra-Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) spacecraft over the Atlantic Ocean,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 110, no. 10, article D10S12, pp. 1–16, 2005.
- P. Tulet, M. Mallet, V. Pont, J. Pelon, and A. Boone, “The 7–13 March 2006 dust storm over West Africa: generation, transport, and vertical stratification,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 23, Article ID D00C08, 2008.
- D. B. Karam, C. Flamant, P. Knippertz et al., “Dust emissions over the Sahel associated with the West African monsoon intertropical discontinuity region: a representative case-study,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 134, no. 632, pp. 621–634, 2008.
- J. M. Prospero and T. N. Carlson, “Saharan air outbreaks over the tropical North Atlantic,” Pure and Applied Geophysics, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 677–691, 1981.
- J. M. Prospero and R. T. Nees, “Impact of the North African drought and El Nino on mineral dust in the Barbados trade winds,” Nature, vol. 320, no. 6064, pp. 735–738, 1986.
- C. Jones, N. Mahowald, and C. Luo, “The role of easterly waves on African desert dust transport,” Journal of Climate, vol. 16, pp. 3617–3628, 2003.
- C. Jones, N. Mahowald, and C. Luo, “Observational evidence of African desert dust intensification of easterly waves,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 31, no. 17, article L17208, 4 pages, 2004.
- A. Smirnov, B. N. Holben, D. Savoie et al., “Relationship between column aerosol optical thickness and in situ ground based dust concentrations over Barbados,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1643–1646, 2000.
- C. Flamant, C. Lavaysse, M. C. Todd, J. P. Chaboureau, and J. Pelon, “Multl-platform observations of a springtime case of Bodélé and Sudan dust emission, transport and scavenging over West Africa,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 135, no. 639, pp. 413–430, 2009.
- R. A. Duce, “The impact of atmospheric nitrogen, phosphorus and iron species on marine biological productivity,” in The Role of Air-Sea Exchange in Geochemical Cycling, P. Buat-Menard, Ed., pp. 497–529, 1986.
- I. Chiapello, G. Bermagetti, L. Gomes, B. Chatenet, F. Dulac, and E. S. Suares, “An additional low layer transport of Sahelian and Saharan dust over the north-eastern tropical Atlantic,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 22, no. 23, pp. 3191–3194, 1995.
- R. Washington and M. C. Todd, “Atmospheric controls on mineral dust emission from the Bodélé depression, chad: the role of the low level jet,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 17, Article ID L17701, pp. 1–5, 2005.
- S. Engelstaedter and R. Whasington, “Atmospheric controls on the annual cycle of North African dust,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 112, Article ID D03103, 14 pages, 2007.
- R. L. Miller, I. Tegen, and J. Perlwitz, “Surface radiative forcing by soil dust aerosols and the hydrologic cycle,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 109, no. 4, article D04203, 24 pages, 2004.