- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 259316, 15 pages
Distribution, Composition, and Vertical Fluxes of Particulate Matter in Bays of Novaya Zemlya Archipelago, Vaigach Island at the End of Summer
Departments of Marine Geology and Ecology of Seas and Oceans, P. P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology RAS, 36 Nakhimovskii prospect, 117997 Moscow, Russia
Received 15 September 2011; Revised 9 January 2012; Accepted 19 January 2012
Academic Editor: Igor N. Esau
Copyright © 2012 N. V. Politova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. A. Aibulatov, Dynamics of the Particulate Matter in the Shelf Zone, Hydrometeoizdat, Leningrad, Russia, 1990.
- A. P. Lisitzin, Oceanic Sedimentation. Lithology and Geochemistry, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, USA, 1996.
- A. P. Lisitsin, V. P. Shevchenko, and V. I. Burenkov, “Hydrooptics and suspended matter of Arctic Seas,” Atmospheric and Oceanic Optics, vol. 13, pp. 61–71, 2000.
- N. A. Aibualtov, Geoecology of Shelf and Coasts of Russian Seas, Noosphera, Moscow, Russia, 2001.
- A. Elverhøi, S. L. Pfirman, A. Solheim, and B. B. Larssen, “Glaciomarine sedimentation in epicontinental seas exemplified by the northern Barents Sea,” Marine Geology, vol. 85, no. 2–4, pp. 225–250, 1989.
- V. S. Medvedev and E. M. Potekhina, “Export of terrigenous suspended material by Novaya Zemlya glaciers into the Barents Sea,” in Modern Sedimentogenesis in Shelves of the World Ocean, N. A. Aibulatov, Ed., pp. 103–110, Nauka, Moscow, Russia, 1990.
- G. G. Matishov, Environment and Ecosystems of Novaya Zemlya, The Archipelago and the Shelf, Kola Science Centre Publication, Apatity, Russia, 1995.
- R. Hodgkins, “Glacier hydrology in Svalbard, Norwegian High Arctic,” Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 957–973, 1997.
- M. Zajaczkowski and M. Włodarska-Kowalczuk, “Dynamic sedimentary environments of an Arctic glacier-fed river estuary (Adventfjorden, Svalbard). I. Flux, deposition, and sediment dynamics,” Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 285–296, 2007.
- J. P. M. Syvitski and J. W. Murray, “Particle interaction in fjord suspended sediment,” Marine Geology, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 215–242, 1981.
- A. G. Lewis and J. P. M. Syvitski, “The interaction of plankton and suspended sediment in fjords,” Sedimentary Geology, vol. 36, no. 2–4, pp. 81–92, 1983.
- M. V. Mityaev, I. A. Pogodina, and M. V. Gerasimova, “Facies variability of recent sediments in the Hornsunn Fjord, western Spitsbergen,” Lithology and Mineral Resources, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 401–407, 2005.
- B. V. Ivanov, A. K. Pavlov, and J.-B. Orbaek, “Investigations of concentration of the suspended particles in the Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen Archipelago,” in Multidisciplinary Investigations of the Spitsbergen Nature, Proceedings of VII International Conference, pp. 156–164, Apatity, Russia, 2007.
- G. A. Tarasov and O. V. Kokin, “On the investigation of the particle fluxes in the Gronfjord,” in Marine Investigations of the Polar regions of the Earth in the International Polar Year 2007/08, Proceedings of International conference, pp. 84–85, St.-Petersburg, Russia, 2010.
- L. L. Demina, “Methods of the suspended particle matter separation,” in Modern Methods of the Hydrochemical Investigations of the Ocean, O. K. Bordovskii and A. M. Chernyakova, Eds., pp. 7–13, Moscow, Russia, 1992.
- S. A. Korsun, Scientific Report of MMBI Expedition “Yasnogorsk’95”. Marine Biological and Geological Studies off Novaya Zemlya Glaciers and in St. Anna Trough, Kola Science Centre Publication, Apatity, Russia, 1996.
- V. P. Shevchenko, M. V. Gerasimova, S. A. Korsun, V. V. Serova, G. A. Tarasov, and A. A. Filippova, “Quantitative distribution and composition of water suspension in the impact area of glaciers of Novaya Zemlya, Northern Island,” in Biological Processes and Evolution of Marine Ecosystems under Conditions of Oceanic Periglacial. Abstracts of International Conference, p. 71, Murmansk, Russia, October 1996.
- V. P. Shevchenko, G. I. Ivanov, S. S. Shanin, and E. A. Romankevich, “The distribution of total suspended matter and particulate organic carbon in the St. Ana Trough and in the Barents Sea,” Berichte zur Polarforschung, vol. 342, pp. 55–67, 1999.
- V. P. Shevchenko, N. V. Politova, G. I. Ivanov, et al., “Suspended sediment distribution and vertical particle fluxes in western bays of the Novaya Zemlya archipelago and Vaigach Island,” Berichte zur Polar- und Meeresforschung, no. 482, pp. 134–141, 2004.
- S. Korsun and M. Hald, “Modern benthic foraminifera off Novaya Zemlya tidewater glaciers, Russian Arctic,” Arctic and Alpine Research, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 61–77, 1998.
- K. Gorlich, J. M. Weslawski, and M. Zajaczkowski, “Suspension settling effect on macrobenthos biomass distribution in the Hornsund fjord, Spitsbergen,” Polar Research, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 175–192, 1987.
- N. A. Aibulatov, An Ecological Response of the Cold War’s Impact in the Russian Arctic Seas, GEOS, Moscow, Russia, 2000.
- S. Honjo, “Particle fluxes and modern sedimentation in the polar oceans,” in Polar Oceanography. Part B: Chemistry, Biology and Geology, W. O. Smith, Ed., pp. 687–739, 1990.
- P. Wassmann, R. Martinez, and M. Vernet, “Respiration and biochemical composition of sedimenting organic matter during summer in the Barents Sea,” Continental Shelf Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 79–90, 1994.
- P. Wassmann, E. Bauerfeind, M. Fortier et al., “Particulate organic carbon flux to the Arctic Ocean sea floor,” in The Organic Carbon Cycle in the Arctic Ocean, R. Stein and R. W. Macdonald, Eds., pp. 101–138, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2004.
- B. von Bodungen, A. Antia, E. Bauerfeind et al., “Pelagic processes and vertical flux of particles: an overview of a long-term comparative study in the Norwegian Sea and Greenland Sea,” Geologische Rundschau, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 11–27, 1995.
- I. Andreassen, E. M. Nothig, and P. Wassmann, “Vertical particle flux on the shelf off northern Spitsbergen, Norway,” Marine Ecology Progress Series, vol. 137, no. 1–3, pp. 215–228, 1996.
- V. N. Lukashin, M. E. Vinogradov, V. Yu. Gordeev, and V. Yu. Rusakov, “Sedimentary material streams in the Norwegian Sea: data from the year-round sediment-trapping station,” Transactions (Doklady) of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Earth Science Sections, vol. 349, no. 5, pp. 844–847, 1996.
- E. Bauerfeind, C. Garrity, M. Krumbholz, R. O. Ramseier, and M. Voß, “Seasonal variability of sediment trap collections in the Northeast Water Polynya. Part 2. Biochemical and microscopic composition of sedimenting matter,” Journal of Marine Systems, vol. 10, no. 1–4, pp. 371–389, 1997.
- M. Reigstad, C. Wexels Riser, P. Wassmann, and T. Ratkova, “Vertical export of particulate organic carbon: attenuation, composition and loss rates in the northern Barents Sea,” Deep-Sea Research II, vol. 55, no. 20-21, pp. 2308–2319, 2008.
- A. P. Lisitsyn, V. P. Shevchenko, M. E. Vinogradov, O. V. Severina, V. V. Vavilova, and I. N. Mitskevich, “Particle fluxes in the Kara Sea and Ob and Yenisey estuaries,” Oceanology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 683–693, 1995.
- G. I. Ivanov, V. P. Shevchenko, E. E. Musatov, T. V. Ponomarenko, A. A. Svertilov, and A. V. Nesheretov, “Multidisciplinary research on the Svyataya Anna Trough (the Kara Sea),” Oceanology, vol. 37, pp. 632–634, 1997.
- V. P. Shevchenko, G. I. Ivanov, A. A. Burovkin et al., “Sedimentary material flows in the St. Anna Trough and eastern Barents Sea,” Doklady Earth Sciences, vol. 359, no. 3, pp. 400–403, 1998.
- V. P. Shevchenko, G. I. Ivanov, and V. V. Zernova, “Vertical particle fluxes in the St. Anna Trough and in the Eastern Barents Sea in August-September 1994,” Berichte zur Polarforschung, vol. 342, pp. 46–54, 1999.
- V. I. Burenkov, S. V. Ershova, O. V. Kopelevich, S. V. Sheberstov, and V. P. Shevchenko, “An estimate of the distribution of suspended matter in the Barents Sea waters on the basis of the SeaWiFS satellite ocean color scanner,” Oceanology, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 622–628, 2001.
- N. A. Aibulatov, V. A. Matyushenko, V. P. Shevchenko, N. V. Politova, and E. M. Potekhina, “New data on the transverse structure of lateral suspended matter fluxes along the margins of the Barents Sea,” Geoecologiya, vol. 6, pp. 526–540, 1999 (Russian).
- M. V. Mityaev and M. V. Gerasimova, “Facies variability of recent sediments in the Hornsunn fjord (Western Spitsbergen),” in Multidisciplinary Investigations of the Spitsbergen Nature, Proceedings of III International conference, pp. 99–108, Apatity, Russia, 2003.
- V. V. Zernova, V. P. Shevchenko, and N. V. Politova, “Features of the phytocoene structure of the Barents Sea over a meridional section at 37°-40°E (September 1997),” Oceanology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 395–403, 2003.
- V. Y. Rusakov, A. P. Lisitsyn, S. S. Izotova, A. S. Moskalev, A. O. Gazenko, and F. Rahold, “Distribution and mineral composition of particulate matter in the Franz Victoria Trough (Northern Barents Sea),” Oceanology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 247–256, 2004.
- V. V. Zernova, V. P. Shevchenko, and N. V. Politova, “Phytoplankton and vertical microalgae fluxes in the north-eastern part of the Barents Sea in September 1997,” in Experience of System Oceanologic Studies in the Arctic, Lisitzin A. P., Vinogradov M. E., and Romankevich E. A., Eds., pp. 301–316, Scientific World, Moscow , Russia, 2001.
- A. Keck, J. Wiktor, R. Hapter, and R. Nilsen, “Phytoplankton assemblages related to physical gradients in an Arctic, glacier-fed fjord in summer,” ICES Journal of Marine Science, vol. 56, pp. 203–214, 1999.
- Y. B. Okolodkov, B. Yu, R. Hapter, and S. V. Semovski, “Phytoplankton in Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen, July 1996,” Sarsia, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 345–352, 2000.
- J. Wiktor and K. Wojciechowska, “Differences in taxonomic composition of summer phytoplankton in two fjords of West Spitsbergen, Svalbard,” Polish Polar Research, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 259–268, 2005.
- V. P. Shevchenko, A. P. Lisitzin, V. V. Zernova et al., “Vertical particle fluxes in seas of the western Russian Arctic,” in Proceedings of the Humanity and the World Ocean: Interdependence at the Dawn of the New Millennium (PACON '99 ), pp. 239–249, Moscow, Russia, June 2000.
- M. Zajaczkowski, “On the use of sediment traps in sedimentation measurements in glaciated fjords,” Polish Polar Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 161–174, 2002.
- G. A. Tarasov, “New data on the particle fluxes in the Gronfjord (Western Spitsbergen),” in Complex Investigation of the Spitsbergen Nature, Abstracts of IV International Conference, pp. 151–159, Apatity, Russia, 2004.
- A. Elverhoi, O. Lonne, and R. Seland, “Glaciomarine sedimentation in a modern fjord environment, Spitsbergen,” Polar Research, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 127–150, 1983.
- R. A. Feely, G. D. Cline, G. J. Massoth, et al., “Composition, transport and deposition of suspended matter in lower Cook inlet and Shelikhov Strait, Alaska,” Environmental Assessment of the Alaskan Continental Shelf Annual Report, vol. 5, pp. 195–263, 1979.
- N. N. Dunaev, O. V. Levchenko, L. R. Merklin, and Yu. A. Pavlidis, “The Novaya Zemlya shelf in the late Quaternary,” Oceanology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 407–416, 1995.