- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 568454, 16 pages
Wind Climate in Kongsfjorden, Svalbard, and Attribution of Leading Wind Driving Mechanisms through Turbulence-Resolving Simulations
1Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre, G.C. Rieber Climate Institute, 5006 Bergen, Norway
2Centre for Climate Dynamics, 5020 Bergen, Norway
3Obukhov Institute for Atmospheric Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 119017 Moscow, Russia
Received 31 October 2011; Revised 28 January 2012; Accepted 22 February 2012
Academic Editor: Anna Sjöblom
Copyright © 2012 Igor Esau and Irina Repina. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Geyer, I. Fer, and L. H. Smedsrud, “Structure and forcing of the overflow at the Storfjorden sill and its connection to the Arctic coastal polynya in Storfjorden,” Ocean Science, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 401–411, 2010.
- A. D. Sandvik and B. R. Furevik, “Case study of a coastal jet at Spitsbergen—comparison of SAR- and model-estimated wind,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 1040–1051, 2002.
- I. Hanssen-Bauer, M. K. Solas, and E. L. Stefensen, “The climate of Spitsbergen,” Den Norske Meteorologiske Institutt report, Oslo, Norway, DMNI, 39/90 KLIMA, 1990.
- E. J. Førland, I. Hansen-Bauer, and P. Ø. Nordli, “Climate statistics and long-term series of temperature and precipitation at Svalbard and Jan Mayen,” Den Norske Meteorologiske Institutt report, Oslo, Norway, DNMI Report 21/97 KLIMA, 1997.
- J. Hartmann, F. Albers, S. Argentini et al., “Arctic radiation and turbulence interaction study (ARTIST),” Report on Polar Research 305/1999, 81 pp., 1999.
- P. Skeie and S. Grønås, “Strongly stratified easterly flows across Spitsbergen,” Tellus A, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 473–486, 2000.
- H. J. Beine, S. Argentini, A. Maurizi, G. Mastrantonio, and A. Viola, “The local wind field at Ny-Ålesund and the Zeppelin mountain at svalbard,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 78, no. 1-2, pp. 107–113, 2001.
- H. Svendsen, A. Beszczynska-Møller, J. O. Hagen et al., “The physical environment of Kongsfjorden-Krossfjorden, and Arctic fjord system in Svalbard,” Polar Research, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 133–166, 2002.
- S. Argentini, A. P. Viola, G. Mastrantonio, A. Maurizi, T. Georgiadis, and M. Nardino, “Characteristics of the boundary layer at Ny-Ålesund in the Arctic during the ARTIST field experiment,” Annali di Geofisica, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 185–196, 2003.
- S. Erath, Simulation of the mass and energy balance at Kongsvegen 2001–2003, M.S. thesis, University Innsbruck, 2005.
- Th. Krismer, Local and Spatial Mass Balance Modelling on an Arctic Glacier Kongsvegen, Spitzbergen, University of Innsbruck, 2009.
- G. Livik, An Observational and Numerical Study of Local Winds in Kongsfjorden, Spitsbergen, M.S. thesis, Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen, 2011.
- T. Kilpeläinen, T. Vihma, and H. Ólafsson, “Modelling of spatial variability and topographic effects over arctic fjords in svalbard,” Tellus A, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 223–237, 2011.
- J. C. Doran, “The effects of ambient winds on valley drainage flows,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 55, no. 1-2, pp. 177–189, 1991.
- L. Prandtl, Fuhrer durch die Stroemungslehre, Vieweg, Braunschweig, Germany, 1949.
- L. N. Gutman, “On the theory of the katabatic slope wind,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 213–218, 1983.
- A. M. J. Davis and R. T. Mcnider, “The development of antarctic katabatic winds and implications for the coastal ocean,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 1248–1261, 1997.
- J. Oerlemans and B. Grisogono, “Glacier winds and parameterisation of the related surface heat fluxes,” Tellus A, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 440–452, 2002.
- E. J. Klok, M. Nolan, and M. R. Van Den Broeke, “Analysis od meteorological data and the surface energy balance of McCall Glacier, Alaska, USA,” Journal of Glaciology, vol. 51, no. 174, pp. 451–461, 2005.
- B. Grisogono and J. Oerlemans, “A theory for the estimation of surface fluxes in simple katabatic flows,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 127, no. 578, pp. 2725–2739, 2001.
- L. K. Ingel, “Toward a nonlinear theory of katabatic winds,” Fluid Dynamics, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 505–513, 2011.
- D. E. England and R. T. McNider, “Concerning the limiting behavior of time-dependent slope winds,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 1610–1613, 1993.
- R. G. Barry, Mountain Weather and Climate, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2008.
- C. D. Whiteman and J. C. Doran, “The relationship between overlying synoptic-scale flows and winds within a valley,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1669–1682, 1993.
- M. G. Cogliati and N. A. Mazzeo, “Air flow analysis in the upper Río Negro Valley (Argentina),” Atmospheric Research, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 263–279, 2006.
- N. Nawri and K. Harstveit, “Variability of surface wind directions over Finnmark, Norway, and coupling to the larger-scale atmospheric circulation,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 107, no. 1-2, pp. 15–33, 2012.
- M. O. Letzel, M. Krane, and S. Raasch, “High resolution urban large-eddy simulation studies from street canyon to neighbourhood scale,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 38, pp. 8770–8784, 2008.
- I. Durre, R. S. Vose, and D. B. Wuertz, “Overview of the integrated global radiosonde archive,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 53–68, 2006.
- I. Esau and S. Sorokina, “Climatology of the arctic planetary boundary layer,” in Atmospheric Turbulence, Meteorological Modeling and Aerodynamics, P. R. Lang and F. S. Lombargo, Eds., pp. 3–58, Nova Science Publishers, 2010.
- S. Sorokina and I. Esau, “Meridianal energy flux in the Arctic obtained from data of the IGRA radio sounding archive,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 572–583, 2011.
- S. S. Zilitinkevich and I. N. Esau, “Similarity theory and calculation of turbulent fluxes at the surface for the stably stratified atmospheric boundary layer,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 125, no. 2, pp. 193–205, 2007.
- S. S. Zilitinkevich, T. Elperin, N. Kleeorin et al., “Turbulence energetics in stably stratified geophysical flows: strong and weak mixing regimes,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 134, no. 633, pp. 793–799, 2008.
- B. S. Gera, S. Argentini, G. Mastrantonio, A. Viola, and A. Weill, “Characteristics of the boundary layer thermal structure at a coastal region of Adelie Land, East Antarctica,” Antarctic Science, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 89–98, 1998.
- M. C. L. Castillo, M. Kanda, and M. O. Letzel, “Heat ventilation efficiency of urban surfaces using large-eddy simulation,” Annual Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, vol. 53, pp. 175–180, 2009.
- S. Raasch and M. Schröter, “PALM—a large-eddy simulation model performing on massively parallel computers,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 363–372, 2001.
- I. Esau, “Large-eddy simulations of geophysical turbulent flows with applications to planetary boundary layer research,” in Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Computational Mechanics (MekIT '09), B. Skallerud and H. I. Andersson, Eds., pp. 7–37, Tapir Academic Press, 2009.
- C. M. Smith and E. D. Skyllingstad, “Numerical simulation of katabatic flow with changing slope angle,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 133, no. 11, pp. 3065–3080, 2005.
- S. Axelsen and H. van Dop, “Katabatic flow—the great Large-Eddy Simulation challenge,” Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 8: 02696, 2006.
- R. Rotunno, “On the linear theory of the land and sea breeze,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 40, no. 8, pp. 1999–2009, 1983.
- G. A. Dalu and R. A. Pielke, “An analytical study of the sea breeze,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1815–1825, 1989.
- Y. Largeron, C. Staquet, and C. Chemel, “Turbulent mixing in a katabatic wind under stable conditions,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 467–480, 2010.