- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 584257, 11 pages
A Dynamic Analysis of the Role of the Planetary- and Synoptic-Scale in the Summer of 2010 Blocking Episodes over the European Part of Russia
1Department of Soil, Environmental, and Atmospheric Sciences, University of Missouri, 302 ABNR Building, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
2A.M. Obukhov Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences, 3 Pyzhevsky, Moscow 119017, Russia
3Center of Excellence for Climate Change Research and Department of Meteorology, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 80208, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Received 21 June 2012; Revised 23 August 2012; Accepted 27 August 2012
Academic Editor: Klaus Dethloff
Copyright © 2012 Anthony R. Lupo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. F. Rex, “Blocking Action in the middle troposphere and its effect on regional climate (II). The Climatology of Blocking Action,” Tellus, vol. 2, pp. 275–301, 1950.
- R. S. Quiroz, “The climate of the 1983-84 winter—a season of strong blocking and severe cold in North America,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. 1894–1912, 1984.
- A. R. Lupo and P. J. Smith, “Climatological features of blocking anticyclones in the Northern Hemisphere,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 439–456, 1995.
- J. M. Wiedenmann, A. R. Lupo, I. I. Mokhov, and E. A. Tikhonova, “The climatology of blocking anticyclones for the Northern and Southern Hemispheres: block intensity as a diagnostic,” Journal of Climate, vol. 15, no. 23, pp. 3459–3473, 2002.
- D. Barriopedro, R. García-Herrera, A. R. Lupo, and E. Hernández, “A climatology of Northern Hemisphere blocking,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1042–1063, 2006.
- M. Croci-Maspoli and H. C. Davies, “Key dynamical features of the 2005/06 European winter,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 137, no. 2, pp. 664–678, 2009.
- J. Sillmann, M. C. Mischa, M. Kallache, and R. W. Katz, “Extreme cold winter temperatures in Europe under the influence of North Atlantic atmospheric blocking,” Journal of Climate, vol. 24, no. 22, pp. 5899–5913, 2011.
- G. M. Agayan and I. I. Mokhov, “Quasistationary autumn regimes of the Northern Hemisphere atmosphere in FGGE,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, vol. 25, pp. 1150–11156, 1989.
- I. I. Mokhov, A. V. Chernokulsky, and I. M. Shkolnik, “Regional model assessments of fire risks under global climate changes,” Doklady Earth Sciences, vol. 411, no. 9, pp. 1485–1488, 2006.
- H. Athar and A. R. Lupo, “Scale and stability analysis of blocking events from 2002–2004: a case study of an unusually persistent blocking event leading to a heat wave in the Gulf of Alaska during August 2004,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 610263, 15 pages, 2010.
- N. F. Elansky, I. I. Mokhov, I. B. Belikov et al., “Gaseous composition of surface air in Moscow during the extreme summer 2010,” Doklady Earth Sciences, vol. 437, pp. 90–96, 2011.
- R. Dole, M. Hoerling, J. Perlwitz et al., “Was there a basis for anticipating the 2010 Russian heat wave?” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, no. 6, Article ID L06702, 5 pages, 2011.
- P. Bissolli, K. Friedrich, J. Rapp, and M. Ziese, “Flooding in eastern central Europe in May 2010—reasons, evolution and climatological assessment,” Weather, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 147–153, 2011.
- P. Webster, V. E. Toma, and H.-M. Kim, “Were the 2010 Pakistan floods predictable?” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, Article ID L04806, 5 pages, 2011.
- R. A. Houze, K. L. Rasmussen, S. Medina, S. R. Brodzik, and U. Romatschke, “Anomalous atmospheric events leading to the summer 2010 floods in Pakistan,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 291–298, 2011.
- C.-C. Hong, H.-H. Hsu, N.-H. Lin, and H. Chiu, “Roles of European blocking and tropical-extratropical interaction in the 2010 Pakistan flooding,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, no. 13, Article ID L13806, 6 pages, 2011.
- M. S. Tracton, “Predictability and its relationship to scale interaction processes in blocking,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 118, no. 8, pp. 1666–1695, 1990.
- A. R. Lupo and P. J. Smith, “Planetary and synoptic-scale interactions during the life cycle of a mid-latitude blocking anticyclone over the North Atlantic,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 47, pp. 575–596, 1995.
- A. R. Lupo, “A diagnosis of two blocking events that occurred simultaneously in the midlatitude Northern Hemisphere,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 125, no. 8, pp. 1801–1823, 1997.
- A. R. Lupo and P. J. Smith, “The interactions between a mid-latitude blocking anticyclone and synoptic-scale cyclones occurring during the Northern Hemisphere summer season,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 126, pp. 503–5515, 1998.
- J. P. Burkhardt and A. R. Lupo, “The planetary- and synoptic-scale interactions in a southeast Pacific blocking episode using PV diagnostics,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1901–1916, 2005.
- A. R. Lupo, I. I. Mokhov, S. Dostoglou, A. R. Kunz, and J. P. Burkhardt, “Assessment of the impact of the planetary scale on the decay of blocking and the use of phase diagrams and enstrophy as a diagnostic,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Ocean Physics, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2007.
- E. Kalnay-Rivas and L. O. Merkine, “A simple mechanism for blocking,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 2077–2091, 1981.
- S. L. Mullen, “Transient eddy forcing of blocking flows,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 3–22, 1987.
- Chih-Hua Tsou and P. J. Smith, “The role of synoptic/planetary-scale interactions during the development of a blocking anticyclone,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 174–193, 1990.
- A. R. Lupo and L. F. Bosart, “An analysis of a relatively rare case of continental blocking,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 125, no. 553, pp. 107–138, 1999.
- K. Haines and A. J. Holland, “Vacillation cycles and blocking in a channel,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 124, no. 547, pp. 873–895, 1998.
- S. J. Colucci and D. P. Baumhefner, “Numerical prediction of the onset of blocking: a case study with forecast ensembles,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 126, no. 3, pp. 773–784, 1998.
- D. E. Tilly, A. R. Lupo, C. J. Melick, and P. S. Market, “Calculated height tendencies in two southern hemisphere blocking and cyclone events: the contribution of diabatic heating to block intensification,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 136, no. 9, pp. 3568–3578, 2008.
- A. Schneidereit, S. Schubert, P. Vargin et al., “Large scale flow and the long-lasting blocking high over Russia,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 140, no. 9, pp. 2967–2981, 2012.
- V. P. Dymnikov, Y. V. Kazantsev, and V. V. Kharin, “Information entropy and local Lyapunov exponents of barotropic atmospheric circulation,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 425–432, 1993.
- E. Kalnay, M. Kanamitsu, R. Kistler et al., “The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 437–471, 1996.
- R. Kistler, E. Kalnay, W. Collins et al., “The NCEP-NCAR 50-year reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 247–267, 2001.
- H. Lejenas and H. Okland, “Characteristics of Northern Hemisphere blocking as determined from a long time series of observational data,” Tellus, Series A, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 350–362, 1983.
- I. I. Mokhov, “Climate changes: analysis of global cycles,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 11, p. 334, 1993.
- I. I. Mokhov, Mathematics and Physics [Doctoral Dissertation], IAP RAS, Moscow, Russia, 1995.
- I. I. Mokhov and A. V. Eliseev, “Changes in the characteristics of the quasi-biennial oscillation of zonal wind and temperature in the equatorial lower stratosphere,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Ocean Physics, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 291–299, 1998.
- I. I. Mokhov, A. V. Eliseev, and D. V. Khovorost'yanov, “Evolution of the characteristrics of interannual climate variability associated with the El Niño and La Niña phenomena,” Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Ocean Physics, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 681–690, 2000.
- I. I. Mokhov, D. V. Khvorostyanov, and A. V. Eliseev, “Decadal and longer term changes in El Niño-southern Oscillation characteristics,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 401–414, 2004.
- A. V. Fedorov, S. L. Harper, S. G. Philander, B. Winter, and A. Wittenberg, “How predictable is El Niño?” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 84, no. 7, pp. 911–919, 2003.
- A. R. Lupo, E. P. Kelsey, E. A. McCoy et al., “The presentation of temperature information in television broadcasts: what is normal?” National Weather Digest, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 53–558, 2003.
- M. Matsueda, “Predictability of Euro-Russian blocking in summer of 2010,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 38, no. 6, Article ID L06801, 6 pages, 2011.
- K. Birk, A. R. Lupo, P. Guinan, and C. E. Barbieri, “The interannual variability of midwestern temperatures and precipitation as related to the ENSO and PDO,” Atmosfera, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 95–128, 2010.