- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 674385, 14 pages
Characterization of Modern and Fossil Mineral Dust Transported to High Altitude in the Western Alps: Saharan Sources and Transport Patterns
1Institute F.-A. Forel, University of Geneva, Versoix, Switzerland
2Department of Mineralogy, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
3Institute of Geology and Palaeontology, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
4Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research (EMPA), Dübendorf, Switzerland
Received 27 September 2011; Revised 14 December 2011; Accepted 15 January 2012
Academic Editor: Ralph A. Kahn
Copyright © 2012 Florian Thevenon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. de Angelis and A. Gaudichet, “Saharan dust deposition over Mont Blanc (French Alps) during the last 30 years,” Tellus B, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 61–75, 1991.
- L. G. Thompson, T. Yao, E. Mosley-Thompson, M. E. Davis, K. A. Henderson, and P. N. Lin, “A high-resolution millennial record of the South Asian monsoon from Himalayan ice cores,” Science, vol. 289, no. 5486, pp. 1916–1919, 2000.
- J. R. McConnell, A. J. Aristarain, J. R. Banta, P. R. Edwards, and J. C. Simoes, “20th-Century doubling in dust archived in an Antarctic Peninsula ice core parallels climate change and desertification in South America,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 104, no. 14, pp. 5743–5748, 2007.
- F. Thevenon, F. S. Anselmetti, S. M. Bernasconi, and M. Schwikowski, “Mineral dust and elemental black carbon records from an Alpine ice core (Colle Gnifetti glacier) over the last millennium,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 114, no. 17, Article ID D17102, 11 pages, 2009.
- IPCC, “Changes in atmospheric constituents and in radiative forcing,” in Climate Change 2007: The Physical Basis, P. Forster, V. Ramaswamy, P. Artaxo, et al., Eds., pp. 129–234, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- F. E. Grousset and P. E. Biscaye, “Tracing dust sources and transport patterns using Sr, Nd and Pb isotopes,” Chemical Geology, vol. 222, no. 3-4, pp. 149–167, 2005.
- B. Delmonte, P. S. Andersson, H. Schoberg et al., “Geographic provenance of aeolian dust in East Antarctica during Pleistocene glaciations: preliminary results from Talos Dome and comparison with East Antarctic and new Andean ice core data,” Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1-2, pp. 256–264, 2010.
- A. Svensson, P. E. Biscaye, and F. E. Grousset, “Characterization of late glacial continental dust in the Greenland Ice Core Project ice core,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 4637–4656, 2000.
- A. J. M. Bory, P. E. Biscaye, A. Svensson, and F. E. Grousset, “Seasonal variability in the origin of recent atmospheric mineral dust at NorthGRIP, Greenland,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 196, no. 3-4, pp. 123–134, 2002.
- B. Delmonte, J. R. Petit, K. Andersen, I. Basile-Doelsch, V. Maggi, and V. Lipenkov, “Dust size evidence for opposite regional atmospheric circulation changes over east Antarctica during the last climatic transition,” Climate Dynamics, vol. 23, no. 3-4, pp. 427–438, 2004.
- J. Xu, S. Hou, D. Qin et al., “A 108.83-m ice-core record of atmospheric dust deposition at Mt. Qomolangma (Everest), Central Himalaya,” Quaternary Research, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 2010.
- P. Vallelonga, P. Gabrielli, I. Balliana et al., “Lead isotopic compositions in the EPICA Dome C ice core and Southern Hemisphere potential source areas,” Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 29, no. 1-2, pp. 247–255, 2010.
- M. Collaud Coen, E. Weingartner, D. Schaub et al., “Saharan dust events at the Jungfraujoch: detection by wavelength dependence of the single scattering albedo and first climatology analysis,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 4, no. 11-12, pp. 2465–2480, 2004.
- T. Moreno, X. Querol, S. Castillo et al., “Geochemical variations in aeolian mineral particles from the Sahara-Sahel dust corridor,” Chemosphere, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 261–270, 2006.
- T. M. Jenk, S. Szidat, D. Bolius, et al., “A novel radiocarbon dating technique applied to an ice core from the Alps indicating late Pleistocene ages,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 114, Article ID D14305, 8 pages, 2009.
- S. Nyeki, F. Li, D. Rosser, I. Colbeck, and U. Baltensperger, “The background aerosol size distribution at a high-alpine site: an analysis of the seasonal cycle,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 211–212, 1997.
- A. K. Overton, “Jungfraujoch high altitude research station,” Weather, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 76–79, 2008.
- T. Tanaka, S. Togashi, H. Kamioka et al., “JNdi-1: a neodymium isotopic reference in consistency with LaJolla neodymium,” Chemical Geology, vol. 168, no. 3-4, pp. 279–281, 2000.
- S. B. Jacobsen and G. J. Wasserburg, “Sm–Nd isotopic evolution of chondrites,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 139–155, 1980.
- T. Adatte, W. Stinnesbeck, and G. Keller, “Lithostratigraphic and mineralogic correlations of near K/T boundary sediments northeastern Mexico: implications for origin and nature of deposition,” in The Cretaceous-Tertiary Event and Other Catastrophes in Earth History, vol. 307, pp. 211–226, Geological Society of America, Boulder, Colo, USA, 1996.
- P. Y. Favarger, B. A. Thomas, C. Guéguen, and F. Monna, “Evaluation of simultaneous ICP-MS/OES sediment analysis based on reference samples,” in Proceedings of the 6th Symposium on Analytical Sciences, Valencia, Spain, June 1998.
- C. Guéguen, J. Dominik, M. Pardos, C. Benninghoff, and R. L. Thomas, “Partition of metals in the Vistula River and in effluents from sewage treatment plants in the region of Cracow,” Lakes and Reservoirs, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 59–66, 2000.
- K. H. Wedepohl, “The composition of the continental crust,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1217–1232, 1995.
- P. E. Biscaye, F. E. Grousset, M. Revel et al., “Asian provenance of glacial dust (stage 2) in the Greenland Ice Sheet Project 2 ice core, Summit, Greenland,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 102, no. 12, pp. 26765–26781, 1997.
- F. E. Grousset, M. Parra, A. Bory et al., “Saharan wind regimes traced by the Sr–Nd isotopic composition of subtropical Atlantic sediments: last glacial maximum vs today,” Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 17, no. 4-5, pp. 395–409, 1998.
- C. Pin, D. Briot, C. Bassin, and F. Poitrasson, “Concomitant separation of strontium and samarium-neodymium for isotopic analysis in silicate samples, based on specific extraction chromatography,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 298, no. 2, pp. 209–217, 1994.
- R. D. Evans, I. F. Jefferson, R. Kumar, K. O'Hara-Dhand, and I. J. Smalley, “The nature and early history of airborne dust from North Africa; in particular the Lake Chad basin,” Journal of African Earth Sciences, vol. 39, no. 1-2, pp. 81–87, 2004.
- D. Wagenbach and K. Geis, “The mineral dust record in a high altitude alpine glacier (Colle Gnifetti, Swiss Alps),” in Paleoclimatology and Paleometeorology: Modern and Past Patterns of Global Atmospheric Transport, M. Leinen and M. Sarnthein, Eds., (NATO ASI Series C, Vol. 282), pp. 543–564, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, Mass, USA, 1989.
- H. Sodemann, A. Palmer, C. Schwierz, M. Schwikowski, and H. Wernli, “The transport history of two Saharan dust events archived in an Alpine ice core,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 667–688, 2006.
- H. M. Roberts, D. R. Muhs, A. G. Wintle, G. A. T. Duller, and E. A. Bettis, “Unprecedented last-glacial mass accumulation rates determined by luminescence dating of loess from western Nebraska,” Quaternary Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 411–419, 2003.
- N. M. Mahowald, D. R. Muhs, S. Levis et al., “Change in atmospheric mineral aerosols in response to climate: last glacial period, preindustrial, modern, and doubled carbon dioxide climates,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 111, Article ID D10202, 2006.
- G. R. Burton, K. J. R. Rosman, K. P. van de Velde, and C. F. Boutron, “A two century record of strontium isotopes from an ice core drilled at Mt Blanc, France,” Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 248, no. 1-2, pp. 202–211, 2006.
- R. Glaccum and J. M. Prospero, “Saharan aerosols over the tropical North Atlantic—Mineralogy,” Marine Geology, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 295–321, 1980.
- A. Avila, I. Queralt-Mitjans, and M. Alarcón, “Mineralogical composition of African dust delivered by red rains over northeastern Spain,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 102, no. 18, pp. 21977–21996, 1997.
- S. Caquineau, A. Gaudichet, L. Gomes, and M. Legrand, “Mineralogy of Saharan dust transported over northwestern tropical Atlantic ocean in relation to source regions,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 107, no. 15, 12 pages, 2002.
- L. A. Fiol, J. J. Fornos, B. Gelabert, and J. A. Guijarro, “Dust rains in Mallorca (Western Mediterranean): their occurrence and role in some recent geological processes,” Catena, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 64–84, 2005.
- F. Thevenon, M. Chiaradia, T. Adatte, C. Hueglin, and J. Poté, “Ancient versus modern mineral dust transported to high-altitude Alpine glaciers evidences Saharan sources and atmospheric circulation changes,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions, vol. 11, pp. 859–884, 2011.
- T. Pettke and L. W. Diamond, “Rb–Sr dating of sphalerite based on fluid inclusion-host mineral isochrons: a clarification of why it works,” Economic Geology, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 951–956, 1996.
- H. C. Moor, T. Schaller, and M. Sturm, “Recent changes in stable lead isotope ratios in sediments of Lake Zug, Switzerland,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 2928–2933, 1996.
- D. Weiss, W. Shotyk, and O. Kempf, “Archives of atmospheric lead pollution,” Naturwissenschaften, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 262–275, 1999.
- J. Nriagu, “Global metal pollution: poisoning the biosphere?” Environment, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 28–32, 1990.
- M. L. Geagea, P. Stille, F. Gauthier-Lafaye, and M. Millet, “Tracing of industrial aerosol sources in an urban environment using Pb, Sr, and Nd isotopes,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 692–698, 2008.
- H. W. Nesbitt, G. Markovics, and R. G. Price, “Chemical processes affecting alkalis and alkaline earths during continental weathering,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 1659–1666, 1980.
- J. D. Blum and Y. Erel, “Rb-Sr isotope systematics of a granitic soil chronosequence: the importance of biotite weathering,” Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, vol. 61, no. 15, pp. 3193–3204, 1997.
- R. R. Draxler and G. D. Rolph, HYSPLIT—Hybrid Single Particle Lagrangian Integrated Trajectory Model Access via NOAA ARL READY Website, NOAA Air Resources Laboratory, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2003.
- F. Grousset, P. Ginoux, A. Bory, and P. Biscaye, “Case study of a Chinese dust plume reaching the French Alps,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 30, no. 6, p. 1277, 2003.
- C. Kang, et al., “Dust records from three ice cores: relationships to spring atmospheric circulation over the Northern Hemisphere,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 37, no. 34, pp. 4823–4835, 2003.
- I. Chiapello and C. Moulin, “TOMS and METEOSAT satellite records of the variability of Saharan dust transport over the Atlantic during the last two decades (1979–1997),” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 29, no. 1176, pp. 17–20, 2002.
- M. F. Glueck and C. W. Stockton, “Reconstruction of the North Atlantic oscillation, 1429–1983,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 21, no. 12, pp. 1453–1465, 2001.
- D. T. Shindell, G. A. Schmidt, M. E. Mann, D. Rind, and A. Waple, “Solar forcing of regional climate change during the Maunder Minimum,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5549, pp. 2149–2152, 2001.
- D. C. Lund, J. Lynch-Stieglitz, and W. B. Curry, “Gulf Stream density structure and transport during the past millennium,” Nature, vol. 444, no. 7119, pp. 601–604, 2006.
- J. Gabrieli, P. Vallelonga, G. Cozzi et al., “Post 17th-century changes of European PAH emissions recorded in high-altitude alpine snow and ice,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 3260–3266, 2010.