- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 828301, 17 pages
Meteorological Patterns Associated with Intense Saharan Dust Outbreaks over Greece in Winter
Laboratory of Climatology and Atmospheric Environment, University of Athens, Faculty of Geology and Geoenvironment, Panepistimiopolis, 15784 Athens, Greece
Received 14 February 2012; Accepted 21 March 2012
Academic Editor: Dimitris G. Kaskaoutis
Copyright © 2012 P. T. Nastos. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, H. D. Kambezidis, P. T. Nastos, and P. G. Kosmopoulos, “Study on an intense dust storm over Greece,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 29, pp. 6884–6896, 2008.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), “Summary for policymakers,” in Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis: Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., Eds., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- T. Claquin, M. Schulz, Y. Balkanski, and O. Boucher, “Uncertainties in assessing radiative forcing by mineral dust,” Tellus B, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 491–505, 1998.
- S. Kinne and R. Pueschel, “Aerosol radiative forcing for Asian continental outflow,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 35, no. 30, pp. 5019–5028, 2001.
- F. Patadia, E. S. Yang, and S. A. Christopher, “Does dust change the clear sky top of atmosphere shortwave flux over high surface reflectance regions?” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 15, Article ID L15825, 5 pages, 2009.
- J. M. Prospero, P. Ginoux, O. Torres, S. E. Nicholson, and T. Gill, “Environmental characterization of global sources of atmospheric soil dust identified with the nimbus 7 total ozone mapping spectrometer (TOMS) absorbing aerosol product,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 40, no. 1, article 1002, 31 pages, 2002.
- S. Engelstaedter, I. Tegen, and R. Washington, “North African dust emissions and transport,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 79, no. 1-2, pp. 73–100, 2006.
- C. Moulin, C. E. Lambert, U. Dayan et al., “Satellite climatology of African dust transport in the Mediterranean atmosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 103, no. 11, pp. 13137–13144, 1998.
- J. Barkan, P. Alpert, H. Kutiel, and P. Kishcha, “Synoptics of dust transportation days from Africa toward Italy and central Europe,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 110, no. 7, Article ID D07208, pp. 1–14, 2005.
- A. Papayannis, D. Balis, V. Amiridis et al., “Measurements of Saharan dust aerosols over the Eastern Mediterranean using elastic backscatter-raman lidar, spectrophotometric and satellite observations in the frame of the EARLINET project,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 2065–2079, 2005.
- D. Antoine and D. Nobileau, “Recent increase of Saharan dust transport over the Mediterranean sea, as revealed from ocean color satellite (SeaWiFS) observations,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 111, no. 12, Article ID D12214, 19 pages, 2006.
- S. Rodriguez, X. Querol, A. Alastuey, G. Kallos, and O. Kakaliagou, “Saharan dust contributions to PM10 and TSP levels in Southern and Eastern Spain,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 35, no. 14, pp. 2433–2447, 2001.
- A. Fotiadi, N. Hatzianastassiou, E. Drakakis et al., “Aerosol physical and optical properties in the Eastern Mediterranean basin, Crete, from aerosol robotic network data,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 5399–5413, 2006.
- D. Meloni, A. di Sarra, G. Biavati et al., “Seasonal behavior of Saharan dust events at the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa in the period 1999–2005,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 3041–3056, 2007.
- G. Kallos, A. Papadopoulos, P. Katsafados, and S. Nickovic, “Transatlantic Saharan dust transport: model simulation and results,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 111, no. 9, Article ID D09204, 11 pages, 2006.
- G. Kallos, C. Spyrou, N. Papantoniou, et al., “Analysis of the particulate matter exceedances in Greece, Period 2001–2004,” Final Report, The Ministry of Environment City Planning and Public Work, 2007.
- N. Kalivitis, E. Gerasopoulos, M. Vrekoussis et al., “Dust transport over the Eastern Mediterranean derived from total ozone mapping spectrometer, aerosol robotic network, and surface measurements,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 112, no. 3, Article ID D03202, 9 pages, 2007.
- D. Meloni, A. di Sarra, F. Monteleone, G. Pace, S. Piacentino, and D. M. Sferlazzo, “Seasonal transport patterns of intense Saharan dust events at the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 134–148, 2008.
- J. Dunion and C. Velden, “The impact of the Saharan air layer on atlantic tropical cyclone activity,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 353–365, 2004.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, V. K. Prasad, D. G. Kaskaoutis, and H. D. Kambezidis, “Variation in aerosol properties over Hyderabad, India during intense cyclonic conditions,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 29, no. 15, pp. 4575–4597, 2008.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, A. R. Sharma, V. Ramaswamy, D. G. Kaskaoutis, and H. D. Kambezidis, “Investigations of an intense aerosol loading during 2007 cyclone SIDR—a study using satellite data and ground measurements over Indian region,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 43, no. 24, pp. 3708–3716, 2009.
- C. Pérez, S. Nickovic, J. M. Baldasano, M. Sicard, F. Rocadenbosch, and V. E. Cachorro, “A long Saharan dust event over the Western: lidar, sun photometer observations, and regional dust modeling,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 111, no. 15, Article ID D15214, 16 pages, 2006.
- I. Carmona and P. Alpert, “Synoptic classification of moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer aerosols over Israel,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 114, no. 7, Article ID D07208, 2009.
- K. N. Grigoropoulos, P. T. Nastos, and G. Feredinos, “Spatial distribution of PM1 and PM10 during Saharan dust episodes in Athens, Greece,” Advances in Science Research, vol. 3, pp. 59–62, 2009.
- P. T. Nastos, A. G. Paliatsos, M. B. Anthracopoulos, E. S. Roma, and K. N. Priftis, “Outdoor particulate matter and childhood asthma admissions in Athens, Greece: a time-series study,” Environmental Health, vol. 9, no. 1, article 45, 2010.
- P. T. Nastos, N. A. Kampanis, K. N. Giaouzaki, and A. Matzarakis, “Environmental impacts on human health during a Saharan dust episode at Crete Island, Greece,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 517–529, 2011.
- E. Samoli, P. T. Nastos, A. G. Paliatsos, K. Katsouyanni, and K. N. Priftis, “Acute effects of air pollution on pediatric asthma exacerbation: evidence of association and effect modification,” Environmental Research, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 418–424, 2011.
- A. R. Rashki, C. J. de W. Rautenbach, P. G. Eriksson, D. G. Kaskaoutis, and P. Gupta, “Temporal changes of particulate concentration in the ambient air over the city of Zahedan, Iran,” Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health. In press.
- L. A. Remer, Y. J. Kaufman, D. Tanré et al., “The MODIS aerosol algorithm, products, and validation,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 947–973, 2005.
- R. C. Levy, L. A. Remer, and O. Dubovik, “Global aerosol optical properties and application to moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer aerosol retrieval over land,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 112, no. 13, Article ID D13210, 2007.
- S. Nickovic, G. Kallos, A. Papadopoulos, and O. Kakaliagou, “A model for prediction of desert dust cycle in the atmosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 18113–18130, 2001.
- M. Viana, P. Salvador, B. Artano et al., “Assessing the performance of methods to detect and quantify African dust in airborne particulates,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 44, no. 23, pp. 8814–8820, 2010.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, D. G. Kaskaoutis, A. R. Sharma, V. Ramaswamy, and H. D. Kambezidis, “Long-range transport of dust aerosols over the Arabian sea and Indian region—a case study using satellite data and ground-based measurements,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 164–181, 2010.
- R. R. Draxler and G. D. Rolph, “HYSPLIT—Hybrid Single Particle Lagrangian Integrated Trajectory Model,” NOAA Air Resources Laboratory, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2012, http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT.php.
- G. D. Rolph, “Real-time Environmental Applications and Display sYstem (READY),” NOAA Air Resources Laboratory, Silver Spring, Md, USA, 2012, http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/.
- E. Kalnay, M. Kanamitsu, R. Kistler et al., “The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 437–471, 1996.
- E. Gerasopoulos, G. Kouvarakis, P. Babasakalis, M. Vrekoussis, J. P. Putaud, and N. Mihalopoulos, “Origin and variability of particulate matter (PM10) mass concentrations over the Eastern Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 40, no. 25, pp. 4679–4690, 2006.
- M. Astitha, G. Kallos, and P. Katsafados, “Air pollution modeling in the Mediterranean region: analysis and forecasting of episodes,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 358–364, 2008.
- Z. Levin, E. Ganor, and V. Gladstein, “The effects of desert particles coated with sulfate on rain formation in the Eastern Mediterranean,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1511–1523, 1996.
- C. S. Zerefos, K. A. Kourtidis, D. Melas et al., “Photochemical activity and solar ultraviolet radiation (PAUR) modulation factors: an overview of the project,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 107, no. 18, article 8134, 15 pages, 2002.
- G. P. Gobbi, F. Barnaba, and L. Ammannato, “Estimating the impact of Saharan dust on the year 2001 PM10 record of Rome, Italy,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 261–275, 2007.
- K. Bouchlaghem, B. Nsom, N. Latrache, and H. H. Kacem, “Impact of Saharan dust on PM10 concentration in the Mediterranean Tunisian coasts,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 531–539, 2009.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. T. Nastos, P. G. Kosmopoulos, and H. D. Kambezidis, “The combined use of satellite data, air-mass trajectories and model applications for monitoring of the dust transport over Athens, Greece,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 31, no. 19, pp. 5089–5109, 2010.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. G. Kosmopoulos, P. T. Nastos, H. D. Kambezidis, M. Sharma, and W. Mehdi, “Transport pathways of Saharan dust over Athens, Greece as detected by MODIS and TOMS,” Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–54, 2012.
- C. M. Coen, E. Weingartner, D. Schaub et al., “Saharan dust events at the jungfraujoch: detection by wavelength dependence of the single scattering albedo and first climatology analysis,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 4, no. 11-12, pp. 2465–2480, 2004.
- A. M. Tafuro, F. Barnaba, F. De Tomasi, M. R. Perrone, and G. P. Gobbi, “Saharan dust particle properties over the central Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 67–93, 2006.
- P. Alpert, P. Kishcha, A. Shtivelman, S. O. Krichak, and J. H. Joseph, “Vertical distribution of Saharan dust based on 2.5-year model predictions,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 109–130, 2004.
- N. G. Prezerakos, A. G. Paliatsos, and K. V. Koukouletsos, “Diagnosis of the relationship between dust storms over the Saharan desert and dust deposit or coloured rain in the South Balkans,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 760546, 14 pages, 2010.