- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 861026, 14 pages
Synergistic Use of Remote Sensing and Modeling for Tracing Dust Storms in the Mediterranean
1Research and Technology Development Centre, Sharda University, Knowledge Park III, Greater Noida, 201-306, India
2Center for Excellence in Earth Observing, Schmid College of Science and Technology, Chapman University, Orange, CA 92866, USA
3School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Schmid College of Science and Technology, Chapman University, Orange, CA 92866, USA
4Laboratory of Meteorology, Department of Physics, Athens University, Athens, Greece
5National Balloon Facility, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Hyderabad 500 062, India
6Atmospheric Science Section, Oceanography Division, National Remote Sensing Centre, Department of Space-Government of India, Hyderabad 500 625, India
7Department of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
8Universities Space Research Association, Greenbelt, MD 20770, USA
9NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD 20770, USA
10Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Moharem Bek, Alexandria 21522, Egypt
Received 17 November 2011; Accepted 17 January 2012
Academic Editor: Achuthan Jayaraman
Copyright © 2012 D. G. Kaskaoutis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- IPCC, “Summary for policymakers,” in Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, et al., Eds., Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- Z. Levin, E. Ganor, and V. Gladstein, “The effects of desert particles coated with sulfate on rain formation in the eastern Mediterranean,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1511–1523, 1996.
- R. Gautam, N. C. Hsu, and K. M. Lau, “Premonsoon aerosol characterization and radiative effects over the Indo-Gangetic plains: implications for regional climate warming,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 115, no. 17, D17208, 2010.
- H. El-Askary and M. Kafatos, “Dust storm and black cloud influence on aerosol optical properties over Cairo and the Greater Delta region, Egypt,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 29, no. 24, pp. 7199–7211, 2008.
- H. S. Marey, J. C. Gille, H. M. El-Askary, E. A. Shalaby, and M. E. El-Raey, “Study of the formation of the “black cloud” and its dynamics over Cairo, Egypt, using MODIS and MISR sensors,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 115, no. 21, article D21206, 2010.
- H. S. Marey, J. C. Gille, H. M. El-Askary, E. A. Shalaby, and M. E. El-Raey, “Aerosol climatology over Nile Delta based on MODIS, MISR and OMI satellite data,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 11, no. 20, pp. 10637–10648, 2011.
- A. K. Prasad, K. H. S. Yang, H. M. El-Askary, and M. Kafatos, “Melting of major Glaciers in the western Himalayas: evidence of climatic changes from long term MSU derived tropospheric temperature trend (1979–2008),” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 4505–4519, 2009.
- A. K. Prasad, H. El-Askary, and M. Kafatos, “Implications of high altitude desert dust transport from Western Sahara to Nile Delta during biomass burning season,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 158, no. 11, pp. 3385–3391, 2010.
- A. K. Prasad, H. M. El-Askary, G. A. Asrar, M. Kafatos, and A. Jaswal, “Melting of major glaciers in Himalayas: role of desert dust and anthropogenic aerosols, Planet Earth 2011—Global Warming Challenges and Opportunities for Policy and Practice,” E. G. Carayannis, Editor, George Washington University, School of Business, InTech, 2011 http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/melting-of-major-glaciers-in-himalayas-role-of-desert-dust-and-anthropogenic-aerosols.
- S. K. Das and A. Jayaraman, “Role of black carbon in aerosol properties and radiative forcing over western India during premonsoon period,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 320–334, 2011.
- I. Tegen, A. A. Lacis, and I. Fung, “The influence on climate forcing of mineral aerosols from disturbed soils,” Nature, vol. 380, no. 6573, pp. 419–422, 1996.
- A. K. Prasad, S. Singh, S. S. Chauhan, M. K. Srivastava, R. P. Singh, and R. Singh, “Aerosol radiative forcing over the Indo-Gangetic plains during major dust storms,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 29, pp. 6289–6301, 2007.
- T. Claquin, M. Schulz, Y. Balkanski, and O. Boucher, “Uncertainties in assessing radiative forcing by mineral dust,” Tellus, Series B, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 491–505, 1998.
- F. Patadia, E. S. Yang, and S. A. Christopher, “Does dust change the clear sky top of atmosphere shortwave flux over high surface reflectance regions?” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 15, article L15825, 2009.
- S. Kinne and R. Pueschel, “Aerosol radiative forcing for Asian continental outflow,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 35, no. 30, pp. 5019–5028, 2001.
- J. M. Prospero, P. Ginoux, O. Torres, S. E. Nicholson, and T. E. Gill, “Environmental characterization of global sources of atmospheric soil dust identified with the Nimbus 7 Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) absorbing aerosol product,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 40, no. 1, 2002.
- H. M. El-Askary, S. Sarkar, M. Kafatos, and T. A. El-Ghazawi, “A multisensor approach to dust storm monitoring over the nile delta,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 2386–2391, 2003.
- N. J. Middleton and A. S. Goudie, “Saharan dust: sources and trajectories,” Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 165–181, 2001.
- S. Engelstaedter, I. Tegen, and R. Washington, “North African dust emissions and transport,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 79, no. 1-2, pp. 73–100, 2006.
- A. K. Prasad and R. P. Singh, “Changes in aerosol parameters during major dust storm events (2001–2005) over the Indo-Gangetic Plains using AERONET and MODIS data,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 112, no. 9, article D09208, 2007.
- F. Barnaba and G. P. Gobbi, “Aerosol seasonal variability over the Mediterranean region and relative impact of maritime, continental and Saharan dust particles over the basin from MODIS data in the year 2001,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 4, no. 9-10, pp. 2367–2391, 2004.
- D. Antoine and D. Nobileau, “Recent increase of Saharan dust transport over the Mediterranean Sea, as revealed from ocean color satellite (SeaWiFS) observations,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 12, article D12214, 2006.
- H. El-Askary, R. Farouk, C. Ichoku, and M. Kafatos, “Transport of dust and anthropogenic aerosols across Alexandria, Egypt,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 2869–2879, 2009.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. T. Nastos, P. G. Kosmopoulos, and H. D. Kambezidis, “The combined use of satellite data, air-mass trajectories and model applications for monitoring of the dust transport over Athens, Greece,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 31, pp. 5089–5109, 2010.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. G. Kosmopoulos, P. T. Nastos, H. D. Kambezidis, M. Sharma, and W. Mehdi, “Transport pathways of Sahara dust over Athens, Greece as detected by MODIS and TOMS,” Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 35–54, 2012.
- A. K. Prasad, R. P. Singh, and A. Singh, “Seasonal climatology of aerosol optical depth over the Indian subcontinent: trend and departures in recent years,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 2323–2329, 2006.
- A. K. Prasad and R. P. Singh, “Comparison of MISR-MODIS aerosol optical depth over the Indo-Gangetic basin during the winter and summer seasons (2000–2005),” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 107, no. 1-2, pp. 109–119, 2007.
- J. L. Guerrero-Rascado, F. J. Olmo, I. Avilés-Rodríguez et al., “Extreme saharan dust event over the southern iberian peninsula in september 2007: active and passive remote sensing from surface and satellite,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 9, no. 21, pp. 8453–8469, 2009.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, D. G. Kaskaoutis, A. R. Sharma, V. Ramaswamy, and H. D. Kambezidis, “Long-range transport of dust aerosols over the Arabian Sea and Indian regionߞA case study using satellite data and ground-based measurements,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 164–181, 2010.
- R. C. Levy, L. A. Remer, D. Tanré et al., “Evaluation of the moderate-resolution imaging spectroradiometer (MODIS) retrievals of dust aerosol over the ocean during PRIDE,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, article 8594, no. 19, 13 pages, 2003.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, H. D. Kambezidis, P. T. Nastos, and P. G. Kosmopoulos, “Study on an intense dust storm over Greece,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 29, pp. 6884–6896, 2008.
- M. C. Baddock, J. E. Bullard, and R. G. Bryant, “Dust source identification using MODIS: a comparison of techniques applied to the Lake Eyre Basin, Australia,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1511–1528, 2009.
- N. C. Hsu, S. C. Tsay, M. D. King, and J. R. Herman, “Deep Blue retrievals of Asian aerosol properties during ACE-Asia,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 44, no. 11, Article ID 1717707, pp. 3180–3195, 2006.
- S. Generoso, I. Bey, M. Labonne, and F.-M. Bréon, “Aerosol vertical distribution in dust outflow over the Atlantic: comparisons between GEOS-Chem and Cloud-Aerosol Lidar and Infrared Pathfinder Satellite Observation (CALIPSO),” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 24, article D24209, 2008.
- S. H. Wang, N. H. Lin, M. D. Chou et al., “Profiling transboundary aerosols over Taiwan and assessing their radiative effects,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 115, no. 23, article D00K31, 2010.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. Kumar Kharol, D. G. Kaskaoutis, and H. D. Kambezidis, “Dust storm over Indian region and its impact on the ground reaching solar radiation—a case study using multi-satellite data and ground measurements,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 384, pp. 316–332, 2007.
- R. C. Levy, L. A. Remer, and O. Dubovik, “Global aerosol optical properties and application to Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer aerosol retrieval over land,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 112, no. 13, article D13210, 2007.
- J. Huang, P. Minnis, Y. Yi et al., “Summer dust aerosols detected from CALIPSO over the Tibetan Plateau,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 34, no. 18, article L18805, 2007.
- R. Gautam, Z. Liu, R. P. Singh, and N. C. Hsu, “Two contrasting dust-dominant periods over India observed from MODIS and CALIPSO data,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 6, article L06813, 2009.
- B. Chen, J. Huang, P. Minnis et al., “Detection of dust aerosol by combining CALIPSO active lidar and passive IIR measurements,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 10, no. 9, pp. 4241–4251, 2010.
- R. R. Rogers, C. A. Hostetler, J. W. Hair et al., “Assessment of the CALIPSO Lidar 532 nm attenuated backscatter calibration using the NASA LaRC airborne high spectral resolution lidar,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussions, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 28355–28398, 2010.
- R. L. Curier, J. P. Veefkind, R. Braak, B. Veihelmann, O. Torres, and G. de Leeuw, “Retrieval of aerosol optical properties from OMI radiances using a multiwavelength algorithm: application to western Europe,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 17, article D17S90, 2008.
- P. F. Levelt, G. H. J. Van Den Oord, M. R. Dobber et al., “The ozone monitoring instrument,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1093–1100, 2006.
- N. C. Hsu, J. R. Herman, O. Torres et al., “Comparisons of the TOMS aerosol index with Sun-photometer aerosol optical thickness: results and applications,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 6269–6279, 1999.
- S. Nickovic, G. Kallos, A. Papadopoulos, and O. Kakaliagou, “A model for prediction of desert dust cycle in the atmosphere,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 106, no. 16, pp. 18113–18129, 2001.
- C. Pérez, S. Nickovic, J. M. Baldasano, M. Sicard, F. Rocadenbosch, and V. E. Cachorro, “A long Saharan dust event over the western Mediterranean: lidar, Sun photometer observations, and regional dust modeling,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 15, article D15214, 2006.
- V. Amiridis, M. Kafatos, C. Perez et al., “The potential of the synergistic use of passive and active remote sensing measurements for the validation of a regional dust model,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 3155–3164, 2009.
- D. Meloni, A. di Sarra, F. Monteleone, G. Pace, S. Piacentino, and D. M. Sferlazzo, “Seasonal transport patterns of intense Saharan dust events at the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 134–148, 2008.
- N. G. Prezerakos, A. G. Paliatsos, and K. V. Koukouletsos, “Diagnosis of the relationship between dust storms over the Sahara desert and dust deposit or coloured rain in the South Balkans,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 760546, 14 pages, 2010.
- M. de Graaf, P. Stammes, O. Torres, and R. B. A. Koelemeijer, “Absorbing Aerosol Index: sensitivity analysis, application to GOME and comparison with TOMS,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 110, no. 1, article D01201, 2005.
- O. Torres, P. K. Bhartia, J. R. Herman, A. Sinyuk, P. Ginoux, and B. Holben, “A long-term record of aerosol optical depth from TOMS observations and comparison to AERONET measurements,” Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 398–413, 2002.
- D. G. Kaskaoutis, P. T. Nastos, P. G. Kosmopoulos, H. D. Kambezidis, S. K. Kharol, and K. V. S. Badarinath, “The Aura-OMI Aerosol Index distribution over Greece,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 28–39, 2010.
- P. Alpert, P. Kishcha, A. Shtivelman, S. O. Krichak, and J. H. Joseph, “Vertical distribution of Saharan dust based on 2.5-year model predictions,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 109–130, 2004.
- O. V. Kalashnikova, R. Kahn, I. N. Sokolik, and W. H. Li, “Ability of multiangle remote sensing observations to identify and distinguish mineral dust types: optical models and retrievals of optically thick plumes,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 110, no. 18, article D18S14, 2005.
- R. Kahn, A. Petzold, M. Wendisch et al., “Desert dust aerosol air mass mapping in the western Sahara, using particle properties derived from space-based multi-angle imaging,” Tellus, Series B, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 239–251, 2009.
- M. Liu, D. L. Westphal, S. Wang et al., “A high-resolution numerical study of the Asian dust storms of April 2001,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 23, article 8653, 2003.
- I. Tegen, M. Werner, S. P. Harrison, and K. E. Kohfeld, “Relative Importance of climate and land use in determining present and future global soil dust emission,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 31, article L05105, 2004.
- Y. H. Lee, K. Chen, and P. J. Adams, “Development of a global model of mineral dust aerosol microphysics,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 2441–2458, 2009.
- H. Guan, B. Schmid, A. Bucholtz, and R. Bergstrom, “Sensitivity of shortwave radiative flux density, forcing, and heating rate to the aerosol vertical profile,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 115, D06209, 2010.
- C. Lemaître, C. Flamant, J. Cuesta et al., “Radiative heating rates profiles associated with a springtime case of Bodélé and Sudan dust transport over West Africa,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 8131–8150, 2010.
- G. P. Gobbi, F. Barnaba, R. Giorgi, and A. Santacasa, “Altitude-resolved properties of a Saharan dust event over the Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 34, no. 29-30, pp. 5119–5127, 2000.
- G. Pavese, F. De Tomasi, M. Calvello, F. Esposito, and M. R. Perrone, “Detection of Sahara dust intrusions during mixed advection patterns over south-east Italy: a case study,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 489–504, 2009.
- D. Meloni, A. di Sarra, G. Biavati et al., “Seasonal behavior of Saharan dust events at the Mediterranean island of Lampedusa in the period 1999–2005,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 14, pp. 3041–3056, 2007.
- D. S. Balis, V. Amiridis, S. Nickovic, A. Papayannis, and C. Zerefos, “Optical properties of Saharan dust layers as detected by a Raman lidar at Thessaloniki, Greece,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 31, no. 13, article L13104, 2004.
- A. Ansmann, J. Bösenberg, A. Chiakovsky et al., “Long-range transport of Saharan dust to northern Europe. The 11–16 October 2001 outbreak observed with EARLINET,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. 24, article 4783, 2003.
- D. Liu, Z. Wang, Z. Liu, D. Winker, and C. Trepte, “A height resolved global view of dust aerosols from the first year CALIPSO lidar measurements,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 16, article D16214, 2008.
- A. M. Tafuro, F. Barnaba, F. De Tomasi, M. R. Perrone, and G. P. Gobbi, “Saharan dust particle properties over the central Mediterranean,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 67–93, 2006.
- G. P. Gobbi, F. Barnaba, and L. Ammannato, “Estimating the impact of Saharan dust on the year 2001 PM10 record of Rome, Italy,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 261–275, 2007.
- Z. Liu, D. Liu, J. Huang et al., “Airborne dust distributions over the Tibetan Plateau and surrounding areas derived from the first year of CALIPSO lidar observations,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 8, no. 16, pp. 5045–5060, 2008.
- A. Colette, L. Menut, M. Haeffelin, and Y. Morille, “Impact of the transport of aerosols from the free troposphere towards the boundary layer on the air quality in the Paris area,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 390–402, 2008.