- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 953853, 8 pages
Relationship of Sahel Precipitation and Atmospheric Centers of Action
1School for Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5000, USA
2Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Received 4 May 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Youmin Tang
Copyright © 2012 Sultan Hameed and Nicole Riemer. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. B. K. Darkoh, “The nature, causes and consequences of desertification in the drylands of Africa,” Land Degradation and Development, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 1998.
- N. Riemer, O. M. Doherty, and S. Hameed, “On the variability of African dust transport across the Atlantic,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, Article ID L13814, 4 pages, 2006.
- O. M. Doherty, N. Riemer, and S. Hameed, “Saharan mineral dust transport into the Caribbean: observed atmospheric controls and trends,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 7, Article ID D07211, 2008.
- J. K. Angell and J. Korshover, “Quasi-biennial and long-term fluctuations in the centers of action,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 669–678, 1974.
- J. G. Charney, “Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 101, no. 428, pp. 193–202, 1975.
- W. M. Cunnington and P. R. Rowntree, “Simulations of the Saharan atmosphere-dependence on moisture and albedo,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 112, no. 474, pp. 971–999, 1986.
- Y. C. Sud and W. E. Smith, “The influence of surface roughness of deserts on the July circulation—a numerical study,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 15–49, 1985.
- K. M. Lau, S. S. P. Shen, K.-M. Kim, and H. Wang, “A multimodel study of the twentieth-century simulations of Sahel drought from the 1970s to 1990s,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 7, Article ID D07111, 2006.
- K. H. Cook and E. K. Vizy, “Coupled model simulations of the West African monsoon system: twentieth- and twenty-first-century simulations,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 15, pp. 3681–3703, 2006.
- M. K. Tippett, “Filtering of GCM simulated Sahel precipitation,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 1, Article ID L01804, 2006.
- C. G. Rossby, et al., “Relation between variations in the intensity of the zonal circulation of the atmosphere and the displacement of the semi-permanent centers of actions,” Journal of Marine Research, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 38–55, 1939.
- S. Hameed, M. J. Iqbal, S. Rehman, and D. Collins, “Impact of the Indian Ocean high pressure system on winter precipitation over western and Southwestern Australia,” Australian Meterological and Oceanic Journal, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 159–170, 2011.
- S. Hameed, W. Shi, J. Boyle, and B. Santer, “Investigation of the centers of action in the North Atlantic and North Pacific in the ECHAM AMIP simulation,” in Proceedings of the 1st International AMIP Scientific Conference, p. 221, Monterey, Calif, USA, 1995, WCRP 92.
- K. E. Trenberth and D. A. Paolino, “The Northern Hemisphere sea-level pressure data set: trends, errors and discontinuities,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 108, no. 7, pp. 855–872, 1980.
- E. Kalnay, M. Kanamitsu, R. Kistler, et al., “The NCEP/NCAR reanalysis 40-year project,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 77, pp. 427–471, 1996.
- M. Hulme, “Validation of large-scale precipitation fields in general circulation models,” in Global Precipitations and Climate Change, M. Desbois and F. Desalmand, Eds., NATO ASI Series, pp. 387–406, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1994.
- M. Hulme, T. J. Osborn, and T. C. Johns, “Precipitation sensitivity to global warming: comparison of observations with HadCM2 simulations,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 25, no. 17, pp. 3379–3382, 1998.
- S. E. Nicholson, “The nature of rainfall fluctuations in subtropical West Africa (Guinea Sahel Soudan),” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 473–487, 1980.
- C. K. Folland, J. Owen, M. N. Ward, and A. Colman, “Prediction of seasonal rainfall in the Sahel region using empirical and dynamical methods,” Journal of Forecasting, vol. 10, no. 1-2, pp. 21–56, 1991.
- D. S. Wilks, Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 2011.
- B. Wang, The Asian Monsoon, Springer Praxis Books, 2006.
- M. N. Ward, “Diagnosis and short-lead time prediction of summer rainfall in tropical North Africa at interannual and multidecadal timescales,” Journal of Climate, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 3167–3191, 1998.
- M. J. Rodwell and B. J. Hoskins, “Monsoons and the dynamics of deserts,” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 122, no. 534, pp. 1385–1404, 1996.