- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 235378, 11 pages
Vegetation Activity Trend and Its Relationship with Climate Change in the Three Gorges Area, China
1Key Laboratory of New Technology for Construction of Cities in Mountain Area of Education Ministry, College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Chongqing University, Chongqing 400045, China
2Key Laboratory of Three Gorges Reservoir Region’s Eco-Environment of Education Ministry, Faculty of Urban Construction and Environmental Engineering, Chongqing University, Chongqing 400045, China
Received 21 July 2013; Revised 27 October 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Harry D. Kambezidis
Copyright © 2013 Guifeng Han et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. J. Austin, J. P. Muller, L. Gong, and J. Zhang, “A regional investigation of urban land-use change for potential landslide hazard assessment in the Three Gorges reservoir area, people’s republic of China: Zigui to Wanzhou,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 2983–3011, 2013.
- A. Moussa, M. Soliman, and M. Aziz, “Environmental evaluation for high Aswan dam since its construction until present,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Water Technology Conference (IWTC '01), pp. 301–316, Alexandria, Egypt, March 2001.
- H. Strand, R. Hoft, J. Strittholt, L. Miles, N. Horning, and E. Fosnight, “Sourcebook on remote sensing and biodiversity indicators,” NASA-NGO Biodiversity Working Group and UNEP-WCMC, 2007, https://www.cbd.int/doc/publications/cbd-ts-32.pdf.
- J. Wu, J. Huang, X. Han, Z. Xie, and X. Gao, “Three-Gorges dam—experiment in habitat fragmentation?” Science, vol. 300, no. 5623, pp. 1239–1240, 2003.
- R. Stone, “Three Gorges dam: into the unknown,” Science, vol. 321, no. 5889, pp. 628–632, 2008.
- D. Tullos, “Assessing the influence of environmental impact assessments on science and policy: an analysis of the Three Gorges project,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. S208–S223, 2009.
- Chang Jiang Water Resources Commission (CWRC), A Study of Impact on Eco-Environment of Three Gorges Project, Hubei Science and Technology Press, Wuhai, China, 1997 (Chinese).
- H. C. Dai, T. G. Zheng, and D. F. Liu, “Effects of reservoir impounding on key ecological factors in the Three Gorges region,” Procedia Environmental Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 15–24, 2010.
- E. J. Lindquist, M. C. Hansen, D. P. Roy, and C. O. Justice, “The suitability of decadal image data sets for mapping tropical forest cover change in the Democratic Republic of Congo: implications for the global land survey,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 29, no. 24, pp. 7269–7275, 2008.
- R. B. Myneni, F. G. Hall, P. J. Sellers, and A. L. Marshak, “The interpretation of spectral vegetation indexes,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 481–486, 1995.
- N. Pettorelli, J. O. Vik, A. Mysterud, J.-M. Gaillard, C. J. Tucker, and N. C. Stenseth, “Using the satellite-derived NDVI to assess ecological responses to environmental change,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 503–510, 2005.
- J. Verbesselt, A. Zeileis, and M. Herold, “Near real-time disturbance detection using satellite image time series,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 123, pp. 98–108, 2012.
- G. F. Han and J. H. Xu, “Land surface phenology and land surface temperature changes along an urban-rural gradient in Yangtze river delta, China,” Environmental Management, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 234–249, 2013.
- A. Huete, K. Didan, T. Miura, E. P. Rodriguez, X. Gao, and L. G. Ferreira, “Overview of the radiometric and biophysical performance of the MODIS vegetation indices,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 83, no. 1-2, pp. 195–213, 2002.
- R. B. Myneni, C. D. Keeling, C. J. Tucker, G. Asrar, and R. R. Nemani, “Increased plant growth in the northern high latitudes from 1981 to 1991,” Nature, vol. 386, no. 6626, pp. 698–702, 1997.
- D. Pouliot, R. Latifovic, and I. Olthof, “Trends in vegetation NDVI from 1 km AVHRR data over Canada for the period 1985–2006,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 149–168, 2009.
- J. Zhang, L. Zhengjun, and S. Xiaoxia, “Changing landscape in the Three Gorges reservoir area of Yangtze river from 1977 to 2005: land use/land cover, vegetation cover changes estimated using multi-source satellite data,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 403–412, 2009.
- M. E. Budde, G. Tappan, J. Rowland, J. Lewis, and L. L. Tieszen, “Assessing land cover performance in Senegal, West Africa using 1 km integrated NDVI and local variance analysis,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 481–498, 2004.
- A. Anyamba and C. J. Tucker, “Analysis of Sahelian vegetation dynamics using NOAA-AVHRR NDVI data from 1981–2003,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 596–614, 2005.
- J. Chen, P. Jönsson, M. Tamura, Z. Gu, B. Matsushita, and L. Eklundh, “A simple method for reconstructing a high-quality NDVI time-series data set based on the Savitzky-Golay filter,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 91, no. 3-4, pp. 332–344, 2004.
- G. V. Mostovoy, V. Anantharaj, R. L. King, and M. Filippova, “Interpretation of the relationship between skin temperature and vegetation fraction: effect of subpixel soil temperature variability,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 2819–2831, 2008.
- Z. Chen and J. Wang, “Land use and land cover change detection using satellite remote sensing techniques in the mountainous Three Gorges area, China,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1519–1542, 2010.
- X. Xu, Y. Tan, G. Yang, H. Li, and W. Su, “Impacts of China's Three Gorges dam project on net primary productivity in the reservoir area,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 409, no. 22, pp. 4656–4662, 2011.
- J. G. Wu, J. H. Huang, X. G. Han et al., “The Three Gorges dam: an ecological perspective,” Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 241–248, 2004.
- X. Su, B. Zeng, W. Huang, S. Xu, and S. Lei, “Effects of the Three Gorges dam on preupland and preriparian drawdown zones vegetation in the upper watershed of the Yangtze river, P.R. China,” Ecological Engineering, vol. 44, pp. 123–127, 2012.
- B. N. Holben, “Characteristics of maximum-value composite images from temporal AVHRR data,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1417–1434, 1986.
- P. Maisongrande, B. Duchemin, and G. Dedieu, “VEGETATION/SPOT: an operational mission for the earth monitoring; presentation of new standard products,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 9–14, 2004.
- A. S. Hope, W. L. Boynton, D. A. Stow, and D. C. Douglas, “Interannual growth dynamics of vegetation in the Kuparuk river watershed, Alaska based on the normalized difference vegetation index,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 24, no. 17, pp. 3413–3425, 2003.
- K. H. Hamed, “Trend detection in hydrologic data: the Mann-Kendall trend test under the scaling hypothesis,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 349, no. 3-4, pp. 350–363, 2008.
- J. A. Sobrino and Y. Julien, “Global trends in NDVI-derived parameters obtained from GIMMS data,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 32, no. 15, pp. 4267–4279, 2011.
- S. Yue and C. Y. Wang, “Regional stream flow trend detection with consideration of both temporal and spatial correlation,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 933–946, 2002.
- D. Stow, S. Daeschner, A. Hope et al., “Variability of the seasonally integrated normalized difference vegetation index across the north slope of Alaska in the 1990s,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1111–1117, 2003.
- J. Y. Fang, S. L. Piao, and J. S. He, “Enhancement of vegetation activity in China in recent 20 years,” Science in China: Series C, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 554–565, 2003.
- J. R. Gosz, D. I. Moore, G. A. Shore, H. D. Grover, W. Rison, and C. Rison, “Lightning estimates of precipitation location and quantity on the Sevilleta LTER, New Mexico,” Ecological Applications, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1141–1150, 1995.
- J. L. Weiss, D. S. Gutzler, J. E. A. Coonrod, and C. N. Dahm, “Long-term vegetation monitoring with NDVI in a diverse semi-arid setting, central New Mexico, USA,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 249–272, 2004.
- Z. Fang, D. Hang, and Z. Xinyi, “Rainfall regime in Three Gorges area in China and the control factors,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1396–1406, 2010.
- D. S. Lin, C. G. Wu, Z. X. Zhou, W. F. Xiao, and P. C. Wang, “Trends of air temperature variations in Three Gorges reservoir area from 1960 to 2006,” Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1037–1043, 2010 (Chinese).
- L. Wu, Q. Zhang, and Z. Jiang, “Three Gorges dam affects regional precipitation,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 33, no. 13, Article ID L13806, 2006.
- M. T. Jabbar, Z.-H. Shi, T.-W. Wang, and C.-F. Cat, “Vegetation change prediction with geo-Information techniques in the Three Gorges area of China,” Pedosphere, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 457–467, 2006.
- G. S. Yang, C. D. Ma, and S. Y. Chang, Conservation and Development Report in 2009, Yangtze River Press, Wuhan, China, 2009 (Chinese).
- State Council Three Gorges Project Construction Committee Executive Office (SCTGPCCEO), China Three Gorges Construction Yearbook in 2009, China Three Gorges Construction Yearbook Press, Beijing, China, 2010 (Chinese).
- G. F. Han and J. H. Xu, “Influence of population and economic development on vegetation-a case study in Chongqing city,” Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 785–792, 2008.