- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 492630, 15 pages
South American Climatology and Impacts of El Niño in NCEP’s CFSR Data
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Saint Louis University, 3642 Lindell, Boulevard, O’Neil Hall 205, St. Louis, MO 63108, USA
Received 21 August 2013; Revised 2 October 2013; Accepted 17 October 2013
Academic Editor: Anthony R. Lupo
Copyright © 2013 Timothy Paul Eichler and Ana C. Londoño. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. D. Garreaud, M. Vuille, R. Compagnucci, and J. Marengo, “Present-day South American climate,” Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 281, no. 3–4, pp. 180–195, 2009.
- R. D. Garreaud, “The Andes climate and weather,” Advances in Geosciences, vol. 22, pp. 3–11, 2009.
- M. J. Rodwell and B. J. Hoskins, “Subtropical anticyclones and summer monsoons,” Journal of Climate, vol. 14, no. 15, pp. 3192–3211, 2001.
- J. Houston and A. J. Hartley, “The central andean west-slope rainshadow and its potential contribution to the origin of hyper-aridity in the Atacama Desert,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1453–1464, 2003.
- M. Vuille, R. S. Bradley, M. Werner, R. Healy, and F. Keimig, “Modeling precipitation over the tropical Americas: 1. Interann- ual variability and climatic controls,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 108, no. D6, p. 4174, 2003.
- R. Garreaud, M. Vuille, and A. C. Clement, “The climate of the Altiplano: observed current conditions and mechanisms of past changes,” Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, vol. 194, no. 1–3, pp. 5–22, 2003.
- M. Falvey and R. D. Garreaud, “Moisture variability over the South American Altiplano during the South American low level jet experiment (SALLJEX) observing season,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 110, no. D22, article 27, 2005.
- C. F. Ropelewski and M. S. Halpert, “Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO),” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 115, pp. 1606–1626, 1987.
- P. Aceituno, “On the functioning of the Southern Oscillation in the South American sector. Part I: surface climate,” Monthly Weather Review, vol. 116, no. 3, pp. 505–524, 1988.
- G. N. Kiladis and H. F. Diaz, “Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the Southern Oscillation,” Journal of Climate, vol. 2, pp. 1069–1090, 1989.
- J. A. Marengo, “Interannual variability of surface climate in the Amazon Basin,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 853–863, 1992.
- M. Vuille, R. S. Bradley, and F. Keimig, “Interannual climate variability in the Central Andes and its relation to tropical Pacific and Atlantic forcing,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 105, no. 10, pp. 12447–12460, 2000.
- B. Rein, “How do the 1982/83 and 1997/98 El Niños rank in a geological record from Peru?” Quaternary International, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 56–66, 2007.
- L. E. Wells, “Holocene history of the El Nino phenomenon as recorded in flood sediments of northern coastal Peru,” Geology, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1134–1137, 1990.
- E. Kalnay, M. Kanamitsu, R. Kistler et al., “The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 437–471, 1996.
- M. Kanamitsu, W. Ebisuzaki, J. Woollen et al., “NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2),” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 83, no. 11, pp. 1631–1643, 2002.
- S. Saha, S. Moorthi, and H. -L. Pan, “The NCEP climate forecast system reanalysis,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 91, pp. 1015–1057, 2010.
- D. R. Legates and C. J. Willmott, “Mean seasonal and spatial variability in gauge-corrected, global precipitation,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 111–127, 1990.
- G. J. Huffman, R. F. Adler, P. Arkin et al., “The Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) combined precipitation dataset,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 5–20, 1997.
- B. Rudolf, H. Hauschild, W. Rueth, and U. Schneider, “Terrestrial precipitation analysis: operational method and required density of point measurements,” in Global Precipitations and Climate Change, M. Desbois and F. Desalmond, Eds., vol. 26 of NATO ASI Series I, pp. 173–186, Springer, 1994.
- G. J. Huffman, “Estimates of root-mean-square random error for finite samples of estimated precipitation,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1191–1201, 1997.
- G. J. Huffman, R. F. Adler, B. Rudolf, U. Schneider, and P. R. Keehn, “Global precipitation estimates based on a technique for combining satellite-based estimates, rain gauge analysis, and NWP model precipitation information,” Journal of Climate, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1284–1295, 1995.
- V. E. Kousky and R. W. Higgins, “An alert classification system for monitoring and assessing the ENSO cycle,” Weather and Forecasting, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 353–371, 2007.
- C. Vera, W. Higgins, J. Amador et al., “Toward a unified view of the American monsoon systems,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 20, pp. 4977–5000, 2006.
- V. B. S. Silva, V. E. Kousky, and R. W. Higgins, “Daily precipitation statistics for South America: an intercomparison between NCEP reanalyses and observations,” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 101–117, 2011.
- J. A. Marengo, W. R. Soares, C. Saulo, and M. Nicolini, “Climatology of the low-level jet east of the andes as derived from the NCEP–NCAR reanalyses: characteristics and temporal variability,” Journal of Climate, vol. 17, pp. 2261–2280, 2004.
- C. A. S. Coelho, C. B. Uvo, and T. Ambrizzi, “Exploring the impacts of the tropical Pacific SST on the precipitation patterns over South America during ENSO periods,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 71, no. 3-4, pp. 185–197, 2002.