- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 693541, 7 pages
Human Thermal Comfort and Heat Stress in an Outdoor Urban Arid Environment: A Case Study
1Department of Agricultural Engineering, College of Food and Agricultural Sciences, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2460, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
2Mechanical Power Engineering Deptartment, Faculty of Energy Engineering, Aswan University, Aswan 81528, Egypt
Received 15 November 2012; Revised 19 January 2013; Accepted 19 January 2013
Academic Editor: Harry D. Kambezidis
Copyright © 2013 A. M. Abdel-Ghany et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Van der Linden, A. C. Boerstra, A. K. Raue, and S. R. Kurvers, “Thermal indoor climate building performance characterized by human comfort response,” Energy and Buildings, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 737–744, 2002.
- T. Stathopoulos, H. Wu, and J. Zacharias, “Outdoor human comfort in an urban climate,” Building and Environment, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 297–305, 2004.
- B. Givoni, M. Noguchi, H. Saaroni et al., “Outdoor comfort research issues,” Energy and Buildings, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 77–86, 2003.
- ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 55, Thermal Environmental Conditions for Human Occupancy, American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers, Atlanta, Ga, USA, 2004.
- S. Atthajariyakul and T. Leephakpreeda, “Neural computing thermal comfort index for HVAC systems,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 46, no. 15-16, pp. 2553–2565, 2005.
- A. Forsthoff and H. Neffgen, “The assessment of heat radiation,” International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, vol. 23, no. 5-6, pp. 407–414, 1999.
- “Introduction to thermal comfort standard,” http://www.utci.org/cost/publications/ISO%20Standards%20Ken%20Parsons.pdf.
- L. Banhidi and Z. B. Biro, “Design and calculation possibilities for the heat exchange conditions of the human body,” Periodica Polytechnica, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 185–193, 2002.
- L. Serres, A. Trombe, and J. Miriel, “Solar fluxes absorbed by the dweller of glazed premises. Influence upon the thermal comfort equation,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 478–488, 2001.
- M. Prek, “Thermodynamical analysis of human thermal comfort,” Energy, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 732–743, 2006.
- S. Yilmaz, S. Toy, and H. Yilmaz, “Human thermal comfort over three different land surfaces during summer in the city of Erzurum, Turkey,” Atmosfera, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 289–297, 2007.
- H. Mayer, J. Holst, and F. Imbery, “Human thermal comfort within urban structures in a central European city,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Urban Climate, Yokohama, Japan, June-July 2009.
- Y. Epstein and D. S. Moran, “Thermal comfort and the heat stress indices,” Industrial Health, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 388–398, 2006.
- C. Deb and A. Ramachandraiah, “The significance of physiological equivalent temperature (PET) in outdoor thermal comfort studies,” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 2825–2828, 2010.
- S. Thorsson, F. Lindberg, I. Eliasson, and B. Holmer, “Different methods for estimating the mean radiant temperature in an outdoor urban setting,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 27, no. 14, pp. 1983–1993, 2007.
- A. Matzarakis, F. Rutz, and H. Mayer, “Modelling radiation fluxes in simple and complex environments—application of the RayMan model,” International Journal of Biometeorology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 323–334, 2007.
- A. Matzarakis, F. Rutz, and H. Mayer, “Modeling the thermal bioclimate in urban areas with the RayMan model,” in Proceedings of the 23rd Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture (PLEA '06), Geneva, Switzerland, September 2006.
- “Temperature-humidity index scale,” http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-humidity-factor-d_1505.html.
- “Estimating wet bulb globe temperature using standard meteorological measurements,” WSRC-MS-99-00757, http://sti.srs.gov/fulltext/ms9900757/ms9900757.pdf#search='wsrcms9900757'.
- A. M. Abdel-Ghany, E. Goto, and T. Kozai, “Evaporation characteristics in a naturally ventilated, fog-cooled greenhouse,” Renewable Energy, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 2207–2226, 2006.
- T. Itagi, “Deployment of laborsaving and comfortable technology on cultivation Management,” in Handbook of Greenhouse Horticulture, Jagh, Ed., pp. 218–227, Agripress, Tokyo, Japan, 2003.
- OSHA Technical Manual (OTM)-Section III: Chapter IV: Heat Stress, http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_iii/otm_iii_4.html.