- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 748715, 8 pages
Herdsmen’s Adaptation to Climate Changes and Subsequent Impacts in the Ecologically Fragile Zone, China
1Faculty of Resources and Environmental Science, Hubei University, Wuhan, Hubei 430062, China
2Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
3Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
4State Key Laboratory of Environmental Criteria and Risk Assessment, Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences (CRAES), Beijing 100012, China
5State Key Laboratory of Simulation and Regulation of Water Cycle in River Basin, Beijing 100048, China
6China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research, Beijing 100048, China
Received 18 July 2013; Revised 10 September 2013; Accepted 17 September 2013
Academic Editor: Xiangzheng Deng
Copyright © 2013 Yingcheng Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. O. Pörtner and A. P. Farrell, “Ecology: physiology and climate change,” Science, vol. 322, no. 5902, pp. 690–692, 2008.
- J. Smithers and B. Smit, “Human adaptation to climatic variability and change,” Global Environmental Change, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 129–146, 1997.
- M. Wang, X. Zhang, and X. Yan, “Modeling the climatic effects of urbanization in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei metropolitan area,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 377–385, 2013.
- R. A. Pielke Sr., “Land use and climate change,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5754, pp. 1625–1626, 2005.
- Y. Malhi, J. T. Roberts, R. A. Betts, T. J. Killeen, W. Li, and C. A. Nobre, “Climate change, deforestation, and the fate of the Amazon,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5860, pp. 169–172, 2008.
- J. J. Feddema, K. W. Oleson, G. B. Bonan et al., “The importance of land-cover change in simulating future climates,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5754, pp. 1674–1678, 2005.
- S. M. Sterling, A. Ducharne, and J. Polcher, “The impact of global land-cover change on the terrestrial water cycle,” Nature Climate Change, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2013.
- R. M. Bright, R. Astrup, and A. H. Strømman, “Empirical models of monthly and annual albedo in managed boreal forests of interior Norway,” Climatic Change, pp. 1–14, 2013.
- J. D. Wickham, T. G. Wade, and K. H. Riitters, “Empirical analysis of the influence of forest extent on annual and seasonal surface temperatures for the continental United States,” Global Ecology and Biogeography, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 620–629, 2012.
- J. Jin, S. Lu, S. Li, and N. L. Miller, “Impact of land use change on the local climate over the tibetan plateau,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 837480, 6 pages, 2010.
- G. B. Bonan, “Effects of land use on the climate of the United States,” Climatic Change, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 449–486, 1997.
- L. Bounoua, R. Defries, G. J. Collatz, P. Sellers, and H. Khan, “Effects of land cover conversion on surface climate,” Climatic Change, vol. 52, no. 1-2, pp. 29–64, 2002.
- R. J. T. Klein, R. J. Nicholls, and N. Mimura, “Coastal adaptation to climate change: can the IPCC Technical Guidelines be applied?” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 239–252, 1999.
- B. Smit and O. Pilivosova, “The IPCC Third Assessment Report: Climate Change 2001, Working Group II: Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability,” Adaptation to climate change in the context of sustainable development and equity, pp. 877–912, 2001, http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/tar/wg2/pdf/wg2TARchap18.pdf.
- R. S. J. Tol, S. Fankhauser, and J. B. Smith, “The scope for adaptation to climate change: what can we learn from the impact literature?” Global Environmental Change, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 109–123, 1998.
- K. de Bruin, R. B. Dellink, A. Ruijs et al., “Adapting to climate change in the Netherlands: an inventory of climate adaptation options and ranking of alternatives,” Climatic Change, vol. 95, no. 1-2, pp. 23–45, 2009.
- B. Smit, I. Burton, R. J. T. Klein, and J. Wandel, “An anatomy of adaptation to climate change and variability,” Climatic Change, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 223–251, 2000.
- W. N. Adger, S. Dessai, M. Goulden et al., “Are there social limits to adaptation to climate change?” Climatic Change, vol. 93, no. 3-4, pp. 335–354, 2009.
- X. Z. Deng, C. H. Zhao, and H. M. Yan, “Systematic modeling of impact of land use and land cover changes on regional climate: a review,” Advance in Meteorology, vol. 2013, Article ID 317678, 11 pages, 2013.
- B. Smit and M. W. Skinner, “Adaptation options in agriculture to climate change: a typology,” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 85–114, 2002.
- J. D. Scheraga and A. E. Grambsch, “Risks, opportunities, and adaptation to climate change,” Climate Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 85–95, 1998.
- D. B. Lobell, M. B. Burke, C. Tebaldi, M. D. Mastrandrea, W. P. Falcon, and R. L. Naylor, “Prioritizing climate change adaptation needs for food security in 2030,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5863, pp. 607–610, 2008.
- W. N. Adger, S. Huq, K. Brown, D. Conway, and M. Hulme, “Adaptation to climate change in the developing world,” Progress in Development Studies, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 179–195, 2003.
- J. G. Polhill, L. A. Sutherland, and N. M. Gotts, “Using qualitative evidence to enhance an agent-based modelling system for studying land use change,” Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 13, no. 2, 10 pages, 2010.
- L. R. Izquierdo, N. M. Gotts, and J. G. Polhill, “Case-based reasoning, social dilemmas, and a new equilibrium concept,” Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 7, no. 3, 2004.
- P. M. Kelly and W. N. Adger, “Theory and practice in assessing vulnerability to climate change and facilitating adaptation,” Climatic Change, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 325–352, 2000.
- S. C. Dong, C. J. Chang, and H. Y. Wang, “Ecological crisis and countermeasures of the Three Rivers’ headstream region,” Journal of Natural Resources, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 713–720, 2002.
- C. A. Gillies and R. J. Pierce, “Secondary poisoning of mammalian predators during possum and rodent control operations at Trounson Kauri Park, Northland, New Zealand,” New Zealand Journal of Ecology, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 183–192, 1999.
- H. H. Einstein and R. Sousa, “Warning systems for natural threats,” Assessment and Management of Risk For Engineered Systems and Geohazards, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3–20, 2007.
- S. H. Eriksen and K. O'Brien, “Vulnerability, poverty and the need for sustainable adaptation measures,” Climate Policy, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 337–352, 2007.
- R. Howitt, “Positive mathematical programming,” American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 329–342, 1995.
- R. E. Howitt, “PMP based production models-development and integration,” in Proceedings of the European Association of Agricultural Economists International Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2005.
- T. Heckelei, W. Britz, and Y. Zhang, “Positive mathematical programming approaches—recent developments in literature and applied modelling,” Bio-Based and Applied Economics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 109–124, 2012.