- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 837432, 18 pages
Dynamic Downscaling of the Impact of Climate Change on the Ocean Circulation in the Galápagos Archipelago
1Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695-8208, USA
2Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33129-1098, USA
3Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory, NOAA, Miami, FL 33129-1026, USA
4Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, NC 28403-5606, USA
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 8 May 2013; Accepted 2 June 2013
Academic Editor: Bin Liu
Copyright © 2013 Yanyun Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Bustamante, K. J. Collins, and R. Bensted-Smith, “Biodiversity conservation in the Galápagos Marine Reserve,” Entomologie Supplement, vol. 68, pp. 45–52, 1999.
- K. Wyrtki, “Oceanography of the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean,” Oceanography and Marine Biology, vol. 4, pp. 33–68, 1966.
- J. A. Knauss, “Further measurements and observations of the cromwell current,” Journal of Marine Research, vol. 24, pp. 205–240, 1966.
- M. Stevenson M and V. Taft, “New evidence of the equatorial undercurrent east of the Galápagos Island,” Journal of Marine Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 103–115, 1971.
- A. Leetmaa, “Observations of near-equatorial flows in the eastern Pacific,” Journal of Marine Research, vol. 40, pp. 357–370, 1982.
- D. M. Palacios, “Seasonal patterns of sea-surface temperature and ocean color around the Galápagos: regional and local influences,” Deep-Sea Research II, vol. 51, no. 1–3, pp. 43–57, 2004.
- F. P. Chavez, P. G. Strutton, G. E. Friederich et al., “Biological and chemical response of the equatorial Pacific Ocean to the 1997-98 El Niño,” Science, vol. 286, no. 5447, pp. 2126–2131, 1999.
- G. Feldman, “Patterns of phytoplankton production around the Galápagos Islands,” in Tidal Mixing and Plankton Dynamics, M. J. Bowman, R. T. Barber, and C. N. K. Mooers, Eds., Lecture Notes on Coastal and Esutarine Studies, pp. 77–106, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1986.
- M. A. Riedinger, M. Steinitz-Kannan, W. M. Last, and M. Brenner, “A similar 6100 C-14C yr record of El Niño activity from the Galápagos Islands,” Journal of Paleolimnology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2002.
- D. T. Rodbell, G. O. Seltzer, D. M. Anderson, M. B. Abbott, D. B. Enfield, and J. H. Newman, “An asymptotically equal to 15,000-year record of El Niño-Driven alluviation in Southwestern Ecuador,” Science, vol. 283, no. 5401, pp. 516–520, 1999.
- G. P. Podestá and P. W. Glynn, “Sea surface temperature variability in Panama and Galápagos: extreme temperatures causing coral bleaching,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 102, pp. 15749–15759, 1997.
- G. M. Wellington, A. E. Strong, and G. Merlen, “Sea surface temperature variation in the Galápagos Archipelago: a comparison between AVHRR nighttime satellite data and in situ instrumentation (1982–1998),” Bulletin of Marine Science, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 27–42, 2001.
- M. Collins, S.-I. An, W. Cai et al., “The impact of global warming on the tropical Pacific Ocean and El Niño,” Nature Geoscience, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 391–397, 2010.
- J. L. Conroy, A. Restrepo, J. T. Overpeck et al., “Unprecedented recent warming of surface temperatures in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean,” Nature Geoscience, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 46–50, 2009.
- R. B. Dunbar, G. M. Wellington, M. W. Colgan, and P. W. Glynn, “Eastern Pacific sea surface temperature since 1600 A.D.: the δ 18O record of climate variability in Galapagos corals,” Paleoceanography, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 291–315, 1994.
- C. Deser, A. S. Phillips, and M. A. Alexander, “Twentieth century tropical sea surface temperature trends revisited,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 37, no. 10, article L1070, 2010.
- N. A. Rayner, D. E. Parker, E. B. Horton et al., “Global analyses of sea surface temperature, sea ice, and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 108, no. D14, article 4407, 2003.
- A. Kaplan, M. A. Cane, Y. Kushnir, A. C. Clement, M. B. Blumenthal, and B. Rajagopalan, “Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 103, no. C9, pp. 18567–18589, 1998.
- IPCC, IPCC Fourth Assessment Report: Climate Change 2007 (AR4), IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- K. B. Karnauskas, G. C. Johnson, and R. Murtugudde, “An equatorial ocean bottleneck in global climate models,” Journal of Climate, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 343–349, 2012.
- R. Bleck, “An oceanic general circulation model framed in hybrid isopycnic-Cartesian coordinates,” Ocean Modelling, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 55–88, 2002.
- E. P. Chassignet, L. T. Smith, G. R. Halliwell, and R. Bleck, “North Atlantic Simulations with the Hybrid Coordinate Ocean Model (HYCOM): impact of the vertical coordinate choice, reference density, and thermobaricity,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 33, pp. 2504–2526, 2003.
- G. R. Halliwell Jr., “Evaluation of vertical coordinate and vertical mixing algorithms in the HYbrid-Coordinate Ocean Model (HYCOM),” Ocean Modelling, vol. 7, no. 3-4, pp. 285–322, 2004.
- D. R. Cayan, “Latent and sensible heat flux anomalies over the northern oceans: driving the sea surface temperature,” Journal of Physical Oceanography, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 859–881, 1992.
- D. Cayan, “Latent and sensible heat flux anomalies over the northern ocean: the connection to monthly atmospheric circulation,” Journal of Climate, vol. 5, pp. 354–369, 1992.
- S. Levitus and T. Boyer, World Ocean Atlas 1994, Volume 4: Temperature, NOAA Atlas NESDIS 4, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- S. Levitus, R. Burgett, and T. Boyer, World Ocean Atlas 1994, Volume 3: Salinity, NOAA Atlas NESDIS 3, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- W. G. Large, J. C. McWilliams, and S. C. Doney, “Oceanic vertical mixing: a review and a model with a nonlocal boundary layer parameterization,” Reviews of Geophysics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 363–403, 1994.
- W. V. Sweet, J. M. Morrison, Y. Liu et al., “Tropical instability wave interactions within the Galápagos Archipelago,” Deep-Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1217–1229, 2009.
- R. Kistler, E. Kalnay, W. Collins et al., “The NCEP-NCAR 50-year reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 247–267, 2001.
- K. E. Trenberth, “The Definition of El Niño,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 2771–2777, 1997.
- R. W. Reynolds and T. M. Smith, “Improved global sea surface temperature analyses using optimum interpolation,” Journal of Climate, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 929–948, 1994.
- Y. Liu, Simulation of ocean circulation around the Galápagos archipelago using a Hybrid Coordinate Ocean Model (HYCOM) [Ph.D. dissertation], North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, 2010.
- G. A. Vecchi, B. J. Soden, A. T. Wittenberg, I. M. Held, A. Leetmaa, and M. J. Harrison, “Weakening of tropical Pacific atmospheric circulation due to anthropogenic forcing,” Nature, vol. 441, no. 1, pp. 73–76, 2006.
- G. A. Vecchi and B. J. Soden, “Global warming and the weakening of the tropical circulation,” Journal of Climate, vol. 20, no. 17, pp. 4316–4340, 2007.
- G. C. Johnson, B. M. Sloyan, W. S. Kessler, and K. E. McTaggart, “Direct measurements of upper ocean currents and water properties across the tropical Pacific during the 1990s,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 31–61, 2002.
- S.-P. Xie and S. G. H. Philander, “A coupled ocean-atmosphere model of relevance to the ITCZ in the eastern Pacific,” Tellus A, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 340–350, 1994.
- P. C. Fiedler and L. D. Talley, “Hydrography of the eastern tropical Pacific: a review,” Progress in Oceanography, vol. 69, no. 2–4, pp. 143–180, 2006.
- M. J. McPhaden, A. J. Busalacchi, R. Cheney et al., “The tropical ocean-global atmosphere observing system: a decade of progress,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 103, no. 7, pp. 14169–14240, 1998.
- G. J. Edgar, S. Banks, J. M. Fariña, M. Calvopiña, and C. Martínez, “Regional biogeography of shallow reef fish and macro-invertebrate communities in the Galapagos archipelago,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1107–1124, 2004.
- E. Wolanski and S. Spagnol, “Environmental degradation by mud in tropical estuaries,” Regional Environmental Change, vol. 1, no. 3-4, pp. 152–162, 2000.