- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 852541, 9 pages
Regional Climate Variability Responses to Future Land Surface Forcing in the Brazilian Amazon
1Institute of Geographic Sciences and Natural Resources Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
2Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
3State Key Laboratory of Water Environment Simulation, School of Environment, Beijing Normal University, Beijing 100875, China
Received 6 July 2013; Revised 6 September 2013; Accepted 13 September 2013
Academic Editor: Xiangzheng Deng
Copyright © 2013 Tao Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. B. Bonan, “Forests and climate change: forcings, feedbacks, and the climate benefits of forests,” Science, vol. 320, no. 5882, pp. 1444–1449, 2008.
- R. A. Pielke Sr., “Land use and climate change,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5754, pp. 1625–1626, 2005.
- K. Hibbard, A. Janetos, D. P. van Vuuren et al., “Research priorities in land use and land-cover change for the Earth system and integrated assessment modelling,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 2118–2128, 2010.
- X. Deng, C. Zhao, and H. Yan, “Systematic modeling of impacts of land use and land cover changes on regional climate: a review,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2013, Article ID 317678, 11 pages, 2013.
- J. J. Feddema, K. W. Oleson, G. B. Bonan et al., “Atmospheric science: the importance of land-cover change in simulating future climates,” Science, vol. 310, no. 5754, pp. 1674–1678, 2005.
- H. Salmun and A. Molod, “Progress in modeling the impact of land cover change on the global climate,” Progress in Physical Geography, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 737–749, 2006.
- P. A. Dirmeyer, D. Niyogi, N. de Noblet-Ducoudré, R. E. Dickinson, and P. K. Snyder, “Impacts of land use change on climate,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 1905–1907, 2010.
- J. Jin, S. Lu, S. Li, and N. L. Miller, “Impact of land use change on the local climate over the Tibetan Plateau,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2010, Article ID 837480, 6 pages, 2010.
- S. M. Sterling, A. Ducharne, and J. Polcher, “The impact of global land-cover change on the terrestrial water cycle,” Nature Climate Change, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 385–390, 2013.
- J. Li, X. Deng, and K. C. Seto, “Multi-level modeling of urban expansion and cultivated land conversion for urban hotspot counties in China,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 108, no. 2–4, pp. 131–139, 2012.
- X. Deng, J. Huang, S. Rozelle, and E. Uchida, “Growth, population and industrialization, and urban land expansion of China,” Journal of Urban Economics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 96–115, 2008.
- J. Li, X. Deng, and K. C. Seto, “The impact of urban expansion on agricultural land use intensity in China,” Land Use Policy, vol. 35, pp. 33–39, 2013.
- Q. Jiang, X. Deng, H. Yan, D. Liu, and R. Qu, “Identification of food security in the mountainous guyuan prefecture of China by exploring changes of food production,” Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 210–216, 2012.
- X. Deng, J. Huang, E. Uchida, S. Rozelle, and J. Gibson, “Pressure cookers or pressure valves: do roads lead to deforestation in China?” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 79–94, 2011.
- J. A. Foley, R. Defries, G. P. Asner et al., “Global consequences of land use,” Science, vol. 309, no. 5734, pp. 570–574, 2005.
- J. O. Adegoke, R. Pielke Sr., and A. M. Carleton, “Observational and modeling studies of the impacts of agriculture-related land use change on planetary boundary layer processes in the central U.S.,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 142, no. 2–4, pp. 203–215, 2007.
- G. P. Asner, A. J. Elmore, L. P. Olander, R. E. Martin, and T. Harris, “Grazing systems, ecosystem responses, and global change,” Annual Review of Environment and Resources, vol. 29, pp. 261–299, 2004.
- J. Jin and L. Wen, “Evaluation of snowmelt simulation in the Weather Research and Forecasting model,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 117, no. D10, 2012.
- M. J. Puma and B. I. Cook, “Effects of irrigation on global climate during the 20th century,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 115, no. D16, 2010.
- M. Wang, X. Zhang, and X. Yan, “Modeling the climatic effects of urbanization in the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei metropolitan area,” Theoretical and Applied Climatology, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 377–385, 2013.
- X. Deng, J. Huang, F. Qiao et al., “Impacts of El Nino-Southern Oscillation events on China's rice production,” Journal of Geographical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2010.
- J. Pongratz, C. H. Reick, T. Raddatz, and M. Claussen, “Effects of anthropogenic land cover change on the carbon cycle of the last millennium,” Global Biogeochemical Cycles, vol. 23, no. 4, 2009.
- J. Y. Liu and X. Z. Deng, “Progress of the research methodologies on the temporal and spatial process of LUCC,” Chinese Science Bulletin, vol. 55, no. 14, pp. 1354–1362, 2010.
- X. Deng, Q. Jiang, J. Zhan, S. He, and Y. Lin, “Simulation on the dynamics of forest area changes in Northeast China,” Journal of Geographical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 495–509, 2010.
- E. L. Davin and N. de Noblet-Ducoudré, “Climatic impact of global-scale deforestation: radiative versus nonradiative processes,” Journal of Climate, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 97–112, 2010.
- S. Bathiany, M. Claussen, V. Brovkin, T. Raddatz, and V. Gayler, “Combined biogeophysical and biogeochemical effects of large-scale forest cover changes in the MPI earth system model,” Biogeosciences, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1383–1399, 2010.
- J. T. Randerson, H. Liu, M. G. Flanner et al., “The impact of boreal forest fire on climate warming,” Science, vol. 314, no. 5802, pp. 1130–1132, 2006.
- C. A. Nobre, P. J. Sellers, and J. Shukla, “Amazonian deforestation and regional climate change,” Journal of Climate, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 957–988, 1991.
- G. B. Bonan, “Effects of land use on the climate of the United States,” Climatic Change, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 449–486, 1997.
- Y. Malhi, J. T. Roberts, R. A. Betts, T. J. Killeen, W. Li, and C. A. Nobre, “Climate change, deforestation, and the fate of the Amazon,” Science, vol. 319, no. 5860, pp. 169–172, 2008.
- K. L. Findell, T. R. Knutson, and P. C. D. Milly, “Weak simulated extratropical responses to complete tropical deforestation,” Journal of Climate, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 2835–2850, 2006.
- R. Avissar and D. Werth, “Global hydroclimatological teleconnections resulting from tropical deforestation,” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 134–145, 2005.
- J. H. C. Gash and W. J. Shuttleworth, “Tropical deforestation: albedo and the surface-energy balance,” Climatic Change, vol. 19, no. 1-2, pp. 123–133, 1991.
- J. Shukla, C. Nobre, and P. Sellers, “Amazon deforestation and climate change,” Science, vol. 247, no. 4948, pp. 1322–1325, 1990.
- P. K. Snyder, J. A. Foley, M. H. Hitchman, and C. Delire, “Analyzing the effects of complete tropical forest removal on the regional climate using a detailed three-dimensional energy budget: an application to Africa,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 109, no. D21, 2004.
- A. J. Negri, R. F. Adler, L. Xu, and J. Surratt, “The impact of Amazonian deforestation on dry season rainfall,” Journal of Climate, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1306–1319, 2004.
- R. Avissar, P. L. Silva Dias, M. A. Silva Dias, and C. Nobre, “The large-scale biosphere-atmosphere experiment in Amazonia (LBA): insights and future research needs,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 107, no. D20, pp. 54-1–54-6, 2002.
- O. L. Phillips, L. E. Aragão, S. L. Lewis et al., “Drought sensitivity of the Amazon rainforest,” Science, vol. 323, no. 5919, pp. 1344–1347, 2009.
- W. F. Laurance, “A crisis in the making: responses of Amazonian forests to land use and climate change,” Trends in Ecology and Evolution, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 411–415, 1998.
- A. E. Duchelle, M. Cromberg, M. F. Gebara et al., “Linking forest tenure reform, environmental compliance, and incentives: lessons from REDD+ initiatives in the Brazilian Amazon,” World Development, 2013.
- E. A. Davidson, A. C. de Araüjo, P. Artaxo et al., “The Amazon basin in transition,” Nature, vol. 481, no. 7381, pp. 321–328, 2012.
- D. Werth and R. Avissar, “The local and global effects of Amazon deforestation,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 107, no. D20, pp. 55-1–55-8, 2002.
- R. R. da Silva, D. Werth, and R. Avissar, “Regional impacts of future land-cover changes on the Amazon basin wet-season climate,” Journal of Climate, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1153–1170, 2008.
- S. Baidya Roy and R. Avissar, “Impact of land use/land cover change on regional hydrometeorology in Amazonia,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 107, no. D20, pp. 4-1–4-12, 2002.
- N. Schneider, W. Eugster, and B. Schichler, “The impact of historical land-use changes on the near-surface atmospheric conditions on the Swiss Plateau,” Earth Interactions, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 1–27, 2004.
- Y. Ke, L. R. Leung, M. Huang, A. M. Coleman, H. Li, and M. S. Wigmosta, “Development of high resolution land surface parameters for the Community Land Model,” Geoscientific Model Development, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1341–1362, 2012.
- A. Henderson-Sellers, R. E. Dickinson, T. B. Durbidge, P. J. Kennedy, K. McGuffie, and A. J. Pitman, “Tropical deforestation: modeling local- to regional-scale climate change,” Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol. 98, no. D4, pp. 7289–7315, 1993.
- G. C. Hurtt, S. Frolking, M. G. Fearon et al., “The underpinnings of land-use history: three centuries of global gridded land-use transitions, wood-harvest activity, and resulting secondary lands,” Global Change Biology, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1208–1229, 2006.
- G. C. Hurtt, L. P. Chini, S. Frolking et al., “Harmonization of land-use scenarios for the period 1500–2100: 600 years of global gridded annual land-use transitions, wood harvest, and resulting secondary lands,” Climatic Change, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 117–161, 2011.
- J. Xu and A. M. Powell Jr., “Dynamical downscaling precipitation over Southwest Asia: impacts of radiance data assimilation on the forecasts of the WRF-ARW model,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 111, pp. 90–103, 2012.
- M. A. Hernández-Ceballos, J. A. Adame, J. P. Bolívar, and B. A. de la Morena, “A mesoscale simulation of coastal circulation in the Guadalquivir valley (southwestern Iberian Peninsula) using the WRF-ARW model,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 124, pp. 1–20, 2013.