- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 202868, 5 pages
Aerosol Modulation of Ultraviolet Radiation Dose over Four Metro Cities in India
1Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pashan, Pune 411008, India
2Universities Space Research Association, Columbia, MD 21044, USA
3Department of Environmental Atmospheric Sciences, Pukyong National University, Busan 608737, Republic of Korea
Received 12 September 2013; Revised 20 November 2013; Accepted 21 November 2013; Published 2 January 2014
Academic Editor: Pavan S. Kulkarni
Copyright © 2014 A. S. Panicker et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. L. McKenzie, P. J. Aucamp, A. F. Bais, L. O. Björn, and M. Ilyas, “Changes in biologically-active ultraviolet radiation reaching the Earth's surface,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 218–231, 2007.
- P. M. Udelhofen, P. Gies, C. Roy, and W. J. Randel, “Surface UV radiation over Australia, 1979–1992: effects of ozone and cloud cover changes on variations of UV radiation,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 104, no. 16, pp. 19135–19159, 1999.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, V. Krishna Prasad et al., “Influence of natural and anthropogenic activities on UV Index variations—a study over tropical urban region using ground based observations and satellite data,” Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 219–236, 2008.
- E. Koubek, “The absorption of UV light by ozone,” Journal of Chemical Education, vol. 66, no. 4, p. 338, 1989.
- J. S. Schafer, V. K. Saxena, B. N. Wenny, W. Barnard, and J. J. de Luisi, “Observed influence of clouds on ultraviolet-B radiation,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 23, no. 19, pp. 2625–2628, 1996.
- I. Foyo-Moreno, I. Alados, F. J. Olmo, and L. Alados-Arboledas, “The influence of cloudiness on UV global irradiance (295–385 nm),” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 120, no. 1–4, pp. 101–111, 2003.
- M. K. Srivastava, S. Singh, A. Saha et al., “Direct solar ultraviolet irradiance over Nainital, India, in the central Himalayas for clear-sky day conditions during December 2004,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 8, Article ID D08201, 2006.
- K. V. S. Badarinath, S. K. Kharol, T. R. K. Chand, and K. M. Latha, “Characterization of aerosol optical depth, aerosol mass concentration, UV irradiance and black carbon aerosols over Indo-Gangetic plains, India, during fog period,” Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 2011.
- A. S. Panicker, G. Pandithurai, T. Takamura, and R. T. Pinker, “Aerosol effects in the UV-B spectral region over Pune, an urban site in India,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 36, no. 10, p. L10802, 2009.
- N. D. Ganguly and K. N. Iyer, “Long-term trend in Ozone and Erythemal UV at Indian latitudes,” Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, vol. 55, pp. 227–239, 2006.
- R. Bhattacharya, S. Pal, A. Bhoumick, and P. Barman, “Annual variability and distribution of ultraviolet Index over India using temis data,” International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, vol. 4, no. 11, p. 4577, 2012.
- J. P. Diaz, F. J. Exposito, C. J. Torres, and V. Carreno, “Simulation of mineral dust effects on UV radiation levels,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 4979–4991, 2000.
- S. C. Liu, S. A. McKeen, and S. Madronich, “Effect of anthropogenic aerosols on biologically active ultraviolet radiation,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2265–2268, 1991.
- J. E. Frederick, E. K. Koob, A. D. Alberts, and E. C. Weatherhead, “Empirical studies of tropospheric transmission in the ultraviolet: broadband measurements,” Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, vol. 32, pp. 1883–1892, 1993.
- C. Meleti and F. Cappellani, “Measurements of aerosol optical depth at Ispra: analysis of the correlation with UV-B, UV-A, and total solar irradiance,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 4971–4978, 2000.
- J. P. Kinney and C. S. Long, “The ultraviolet index: a useful tool,” Dermatology Online Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, article 2, 2000.
- A. S. Panicker, G. Pandithurai, P. D. Safai, S. Dipu, and D.-I. Lee, “On the contribution of black carbon to the composite aerosol radiative forcing over an urban environment,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 44, no. 25, pp. 3066–3070, 2010.
- A. Jayaraman, D. Lubin, S. Ramachandran et al., “Direct observations of aerosol radiative forcing over the tropical Indian Ocean during the January-February 1996 pre-INDOEX cruise,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 103, no. 12, pp. 13827–13836, 1998.
- G. Pandithurai, R. T. Pinker, T. Takamura, and P. C. S. Devara, “Aerosol radiative forcing over a tropical urban site in India,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 31, no. 12, Article ID L12107, 4 pages, 2004.
- G. Pandithurai, S. Dipu, K. K. Dani et al., “Aerosol radiative forcing during dust events over New Delhi, India,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 113, no. 13, Article ID D13209, 2008.
- W. C. Conant, “An observational approach for determining aerosol surface radiative forcing: results from the first field phase of INDOEX,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 105, no. 12, pp. 15347–15360, 2000.
- A. K. Srivastava, K. Ram, P. Pant, P. Hegde, and H. Joshi, “Black carbon aerosols over Manora Peak in the Indian Himalayan foothills: implications for climate forcing,” Environmental Research Letters, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID 014002, 8 pages, 2012.
- A. K. Srivastava, S. Tiwari, P. C. S. Devara et al., “Pre-monsoon aerosol characteristics over the Indo-Gangetic Basin: implications to climatic impact,” Annales Geophysicae, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 789–804, 2011.
- A. S. Panicker, G. Pandithurai, P. D. Safai, and S. Kewat, “Observations of enhanced aerosol longwave radiative forcing over an urban environment,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 35, no. 4, Article ID L04817, 2008.
- R. Chadyšien and A. Girgždys, “Ultraviolet radiation albedo of natural surfaces,” Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 83–88, 2008.
- U. Feisterand and R. Grew, “Spectral albedo measurements in the UV and visible region over different types of surfaces,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 736–744, 1995.
- S. Ramachandran, R. Rengarajan, A. Jayaraman, M. M. Sarin, and S. K. Das, “Aerosol radiative forcing during clear, hazy, and foggy conditions over a continental polluted location in north India,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 111, no. 20, Article ID D20214, 2006.
- A. S. Panicker, G. Pandithurai, and S. Dipu, “Aerosol indirect effect during successive contrasting monsoon seasons over Indian sub continent: using MODIS data,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 44, no. 15, pp. 1937–1943, 2010.
- A. S. Panicker, D. I. Lee, Y. V. Kumkar, D. Kim, M. Maki, and H. Uyeda, “Decadal climatological trends of aerosol optical parameters over three different environments in South Korea,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1909–1916, 2013.
- A. S. Panicker, S.-H. Park, D.-I. Lee, et al., “Observations of black carbon characteristics and radiative forcing over a global atmosphere watch supersite in Korea,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 77, pp. 98–104, 2013.
- S.-H. Park, A. S. Panicker, D.-I. Lee et al., “Characterization of chemical properties of atmospheric aerosols over anmyeon (South Korea), a super site under global atmosphere watch,” Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, vol. 67, no. 2-3, pp. 71–86, 2010.
- N. A. Krotkov, P. K. Bhartia, J. R. Herman, V. Fioletov, and J. Kerr, “Satellite estimation of spectral surface UV irradiance in the presence of tropospheric aerosols 1. Cloud-free case,” Journal of Geophysical Research D, vol. 103, no. 8, pp. 8779–8793, 1998.
- O. V. Kalashnikova, F. P. Mills, A. Eldering, and D. Anderson, “Application of satellite and ground-based data to investigate the UV radiative effects of Australian aerosols,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 107, no. 1-2, pp. 65–80, 2007.