- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 620410, 12 pages
Validation of ASTER Surface Temperature Data with In Situ Measurements to Evaluate Heat Islands in Complex Urban Areas
Department of Environmental Engineering, Changwon National University, 20 Changwondaehak-ro Uichang-gu Changwon-si, Gyeongsangnam-do 641-773, Republic of Korea
Received 27 August 2013; Accepted 6 December 2013; Published 20 January 2014
Academic Editor: Yuriy Kuleshov
Copyright © 2014 Bonggeun Song and Kyunghun Park. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. R. Oke, Boundary Layer Climates, Methuen, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1987.
- I. Eliasson, “Urban nocturnal temperatures, street geometry and land use,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 379–392, 1996.
- K. G. Lee and W. H. Hong, “A study on the urban heat environment pattern analysis and alleviation plan,” The Architectural Institute of Korea, vol. 24, no. 9, 2008.
- H. Takebayashi and M. Moriyama, “Study on the urban heat island mitigation effect achieved by converting to grass-covered parking,” Solar Energy, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1211–1223, 2009.
- S. L. Harlan, A. J. Brazel, L. Prashad, W. L. Stefanov, and L. Larsen, “Neighborhood microclimates and vulnerability to heat stress,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 2847–2863, 2006.
- R. S. Kovats and S. Hajat, “Heat stress and public health: a critical review,” Annual Review of Public Health, vol. 29, pp. 41–55, 2008.
- R. Lafortezza, G. Carrus, G. Sanesi, and C. Davies, “Benefits and well-being perceived by people visiting green spaces in periods of heat stress,” Urban Forestry and Urban Greening, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 97–108, 2009.
- E. Ng, L. Chen, Y. Wang, and C. Yuan, “A study on the cooling effects of greening in a high-density city: an experience from Hong Kong,” Building and Environment, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 256–271, 2012.
- S. H. Baek, A. Shimizu, H. Y. Kim, and E. H. Jung, “Evaluation of thermal environment improvement effect from public design improvement project on the urban street space,” Journal of the Environmental Sciences, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1105–1114, 2011.
- E. L. Krüger, F. O. Minella, and F. Rasia, “Impact of urban geometry on outdoor thermal comfort and air quality from field measurements in Curitiba, Brazil,” Building and Environment, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 621–634, 2011.
- S. Knapp, I. Kühn, O. Schweiger, and S. Klotz, “Challenging urban species diversity: contrasting phylogenetic patterns across plant functional groups in Germany,” Ecology Letters, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1054–1064, 2008.
- G. Luber and M. McGeehin, “Climate change and extreme heat events,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 429–435, 2008.
- D. E. Bowler, L. Buyung-Ali, T. M. Knight, and A. S. Pullin, “Urban greening to cool towns and cities: a systematic review of the empirical evidence,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 147–155, 2010.
- B. G. Song and K. H. Park, “The classification of spatial patterns considering formation parameters of urban climate: the case of Changwon city, South Korea,” Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 299–311, 2011.
- D. A. Quattrochi and J. C. Luvall, “Thermal infrared remote sensing for analysis of landscape ecological processes: methods and applications,” Landscape Ecology, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 577–598, 1999.
- J. A. Voogt and T. R. Oke, “Thermal remote sensing of urban climates,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 370–384, 2003.
- Q. Weng, D. Lu, and J. Schubring, “Estimation of land surface temperature-vegetation abundance relationship for urban heat island studies,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 467–483, 2004.
- L. Klok, S. Zwart, H. Verhagen, and E. Mauri, “The surface heat island of Rotterdam and its relationship with urban surface characteristics,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling, vol. 64, pp. 23–29, 2012.
- J. E. Nichol, “A GIS-based approach to microclimate monitoring in Singapore's high-rise housing estates,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1225–1232, 1994.
- J. A. Voogt and T. R. Oke, “Effects of urban surface geometry on remotely-sensed surface temperature,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 895–920, 1998.
- Q. Weng, H. Liu, and D. Lu, “Assessing the effects of land use and land cover patterns on thermal conditions using landscape metrics in city of Indianapolis, United States,” Urban Ecosystems, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 203–219, 2007.
- H. Liu and Q. Weng, “Seasonal variations in the relationship between landscape pattern and land surface temperature in Indianapolis, USA,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 144, no. 1–3, pp. 199–219, 2008.
- Q. Weng and D. Lu, “A sub-pixel analysis of urbanization effect on land surface temperature and its interplay with impervious surface and vegetation coverage in Indianapolis, United States,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 68–83, 2008.
- T. N. Carlson, J. K. Dodd, S. G. Benjamin, and J. N. Cooper, “Satellite estimation of the surface energy balance, moisture availability and thermal inertia,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 67–87, 1981.
- X. Zhang, Y. Aono, and N. Monji, “Spatial variability of urban surface heat fluxes estimated from Landsat TM data under summer and winter conditions,” Journal of Agricultural Meteorology, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1998.
- S. Kato and Y. Yamaguchi, “Analysis of urban heat-island effect using ASTER and ETM+ Data: separation of anthropogenic heat discharge and natural heat radiation from sensible heat flux,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 44–54, 2005.
- A. Buyantuyev and J. Wu, “Urban heat islands and landscape heterogeneity: linking spatiotemporal variations in surface temperatures to land-cover and socioeconomic patterns,” Landscape Ecology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 17–33, 2010.
- J. Li, C. Song, L. Cao, F. Zhu, X. Meng, and J. Wu, “Impacts of landscape structure on surface urban heat islands: a case study of Shanghai, China,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 115, no. 12, pp. 3249–3263, 2011.
- G. Fu, Z. Shen, P. Shi, Y. Zhang, and J. Wu, “Estimating air temperature of an alpine meadow on the Northern Tibetan Plateau using MODIS land surface temperature,” Acta Ecologica Sinica, vol. 31, pp. 8–13, 2011.
- A. Benali, A. C. Carvalho, J. P. Nunes, N. Carvalhasis, and A. Santos, “Estimating air temperature in Portugal using MODIS LST data,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 124, pp. 108–121, 2012.
- A. Chudnovsky, E. Ben-Dor, and H. Saaroni, “Diurnal thermal behavior of selected urban objects using remote sensing measurements,” Energy and Buildings, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1063–1074, 2004.
- Q. Weng, “Thermal infrared remote sensing for urban climate and environmental studies: methods, applications, and trends,” ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 335–344, 2009.
- C. Mihalcea, B. W. Brock, G. Diolaiuti et al., “Using ASTER satellite and ground-based surface temperature measurements to derive supraglacial debris cover and thickness patterns on Miage Glacier (Mont Blanc Massif, Italy),” Cold Regions Science and Technology, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 341–354, 2008.
- G. Rigo, E. Parlow, and D. Oesch, “Validation of satellite observed thermal emission with in-situ measurements over an urban surface,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 201–210, 2006.
- J. E. Nichol, W. Y. Fung, K.-S. Lam, and M. S. Wong, “Urban heat island diagnosis using ASTER satellite images and 'in situ' air temperature,” Atmospheric Research, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 276–284, 2009.
- D. A. Hartz, L. Prashad, B. C. Hedquist, J. Golden, and A. J. Brazel, “Linking satellite images and hand-held infrared thermography to observed neighborhood climate conditions,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 190–200, 2006.
- Changwon city hall homepage, http://www.changwon.or.kr.
- B. G. Song and K. H. Park, “An analysis of cold air generation area considering climate-ecological function-focus on Chagnwon-si, Gyeongsangnam-do,” Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 114–127, 2010.
- S. Kato and Y. Yamaguchi, “Estimation of storage heat flux in an urban area using ASTER data,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2007.
- A. R. Gillespie, S. Rokugawa, S. J. Hook, T. Mansunaga, and A. B. Kahle, “Temperature/Emissivity Separation Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document, Version 2.4,” NASA contract NAS5-31372, Washington, DC, USA, 1999.
- Changwon-si, “The construction of Changwon-si environmental atlas and GIS DB (1st),” Changwon-si Research Report, Changwon, Republic of Korea, 2009.
- S. Kato, T. Matsunaga, and Y. Yamaguchi, “Influence of shade on surface temperature in an urban estimated by ASTER data,” International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Science, vol. 38, pp. 925–929, 2010.
- K.-S. Cheng, Y.-F. Su, F.-T. Kuo, W.-C. Hung, and J.-L. Chiang, “Assessing the effect of landcover changes on air temperatu×re using remote sensing images-A pilot study in northern Taiwan,” Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 85–96, 2008.
- D. E. Sabol Jr., A. R. Gillespie, E. Abbott, and G. Yamada, “Field validation of the ASTER Temperature-Emissivity Separation algorithm,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 113, no. 11, pp. 2328–2344, 2009.
- J. A. Sobrino, R. Oltra-Carrió, J. C. Jiménez-Muñoz et al., “Emissivity mapping over urban areas using a classification-based approach: application to the Dual-use European Security IR Experiment (DESIREX),” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 18, pp. 141–147, 2012.
- E. Valor and V. Caselles, “Mapping land surface emissivity from NDVI: application to European, African, and South American areas,” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 167–184, 1996.
- V. Caselles, C. Coll, E. Valor, and E. Rubio, “Mapping land surface emissivity using AVHRR data application to La Mancha, Spain,” Remote Sensing Reviews, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 311–333, 1995.
- S. P. Arya, Introduction to Micrometeorology, Academic Press, 2nd edition, 2003.
- B. G. Song, Development of integrated spatial environmental assessment and planning methods for improving the urban climate and air quality [M.S. thesis], Changwon National University, Changwon, Republic of Korea, 2011.
- E. Erell, D. Pearlmutter, and T. Williamson, Urban Microclimate: Designing the Spaces Between Buildings, Earthscan, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- L. Barring, J. O. Mattsson, and S. Lindqvist, “Canyon geometry, street temperatures and urban heat island in Malmo, Sweden,” Journal of Climatology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 433–444, 1985.
- K.-S. Han, A. A. Viau, and F. Anctil, “An analysis of GOES and NOAA derived land surface temperatures estimated over a boreal forest,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 25, no. 21, pp. 4761–4780, 2004.