- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 760393, 12 pages
Correlation of Dry Deposition Velocity and Friction Velocity over Different Surfaces for PM2.5 and Particle Number Concentrations
Istituto di Scienze dell’Atmosfera e del Clima, ISAC-CNR, U.O.S. di Lecce, Strada Provinciale Lecce-Monteroni km 1.2, 73100 Lecce, Italy
Received 6 March 2014; Accepted 18 May 2014; Published 1 June 2014
Academic Editor: Carlos Borrego
Copyright © 2014 Antonio Donateo and Daniele Contini. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. H. Seinfeld and S. N. Pandis, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics: From Air Pollution To Climate Change, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2006.
- S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning et al., Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- I. S. A. Isaksen, C. Granier, G. Myhre et al., “Atmospheric composition change: climate-chemistry interactions,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 43, no. 33, pp. 5138–5192, 2009.
- W. C. Malm, “Fundamentals of visibility,” in Handbook of Weather, Climate and Water: Atmospheric Chemistry, Hydrology, and Societal Impacts, D. T. Potter and B. R. Colman, Eds., pp. 285–329, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2003.
- F. Dominici, R. D. Peng, M. L. Bell et al., “Fine particulate air pollution and hospital admission for cardiovascular and respiratory diseases,” The Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 295, no. 10, pp. 1127–1134, 2006.
- R. D. Brook, S. Rajagopalan, C. A. Pope et al., “Particulate matter air pollution and cardiovascular disease: an update to the scientific statement from the American Heart Association,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 21, pp. 2331–2378, 2010.
- J. J. Corbett, J. J. Winebrake, E. H. Green, P. Kasibhatla, V. Eyring, and A. Lauer, “Mortality from ship emissions: a global assessment,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 24, pp. 8512–8518, 2007.
- R. J. Delfino, C. Sioutas, and S. Malik, “Potential role of ultrafine particles in associations between airborne particle mass and cardiovascular health,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 113, no. 8, pp. 934–946, 2005.
- M. L. Wesely and B. B. Hicks, “A review of the current status of knowledge on dry deposition,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 34, no. 12–14, pp. 2261–2282, 2000.
- C. Textor, M. Schulz, S. Guibert et al., “Analysis and quantification of the diversities of aerosol life cycles within AeroCom,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1777–1813, 2006.
- M. Kanakidou, J. H. Seinfeld, S. N. Pandis et al., “Organic aerosol and global climate modelling: a review,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1053–1123, 2005.
- M. W. Gallagher, E. Nemitz, J. R. Dorsey et al., “Measurements and parameterizations of small aerosol deposition velocities to grassland, arable crops, and forest: influence of surface roughness length on deposition,” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 1–10, 2002.
- S. C. Pryor, M. Gallagher, H. Sievering et al., “A review of measurement and modelling results of particle atmosphere-surface exchange,” Tellus B: Chemical and Physical Meteorology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 42–75, 2008.
- G. Buzorius, Ü. Rannik, J. M. Mäkelä, T. Vesala, and M. Kulmala, “Vertical aerosol particle fluxes measured by eddy covariance technique using condensational particle counter,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 29, no. 1-2, pp. 157–171, 1998.
- M. W. Gallagher, K. M. Beswick, J. Duyzer, H. Westrate, T. W. Choularton, and P. Hummelshøj, “Measurements of aerosol fluxes to speulderforest using a micrometeorological technique,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 359–373, 1997.
- B. Duan, W. Fairall, and D. W. Thomson, “Eddy correlation measurements of the dry deposition of particles in wintertime,” Journal of Applied Meteorology, vol. 27, pp. 642–652, 1998.
- A. Grönlund, D. Nilsson, I. K. Koponen, A. Virkkula, and M. E. Hansson, “Aerosol dry deposition measured with eddy-covariance technique at Wasa and Aboa, Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica,” Annals of Glaciology, vol. 35, pp. 355–361, 2002.
- E. D. Nilsson and Ü. Rannik, “Turbulent aerosol fluxes over the Arctic Ocean 1. Dry deposition over sea and pack ice,” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 106, no. 23, pp. 32125–32137, 2001.
- D. Contini, A. Donateo, F. Belosi, F. M. Grasso, G. Santachiara, and F. Prodi, “Deposition velocity of ultrafine particles measured with the Eddy-Correlation method over the Nansen Ice Sheet (Antarctica),” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 115, no. 16, Article ID D16202, 2010.
- J. R. Dorsey, E. Nemitz, M. W. Gallagher et al., “Direct measurements and parameterisation of aerosol flux, concentration and emission velocity above a city,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 791–800, 2002.
- E. M. Mårtensson, E. D. Nilsson, G. Buzorius, and C. Johansson, “Eddy covariance measurements and parameterisation of traffic related particle emissions in an urban environment,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 769–785, 2006.
- E. Nemitz, J. L. Jimenez, J. A. Huffman et al., “An eddy-covariance system for the measurement of surface/atmosphere exchange fluxes of submicron aerosol chemical species—first application above an urban area,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 636–657, 2008.
- A. Schmidt and O. Klemm, “Direct determination of highly size-resolved turbulent particle fluxes with the disjunct eddy covariance method and a 12 stage electrical low pressure impactor,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 8, no. 24, pp. 7405–7417, 2008.
- L. Järvi, Ü. Rannik, I. Mammarella et al., “Annual particle flux observations over a heterogeneous urban area,” Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, vol. 9, no. 20, pp. 7847–7856, 2009.
- D. Contini, A. Donateo, C. Elefante, and F. M. Grasso, “Analysis of particles and carbon dioxide concentrations and fluxes in an urban area: correlation with traffic rate and local micrometeorology,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 46, pp. 25–35, 2012.
- W. G. N. Slinn, “Predictions for particle deposition to vegetative canopies,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 1785–1794, 1982.
- A. Petroff, A. Mailliat, M. Amielh, and F. Anselmet, “Aerosol dry deposition on vegetative canopies. Part I: review of present knowledge,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 16, pp. 3625–3653, 2008.
- A. Petroff and L. Zhang, “Development and validation of a size-resolved particle dry deposition scheme for application in aerosol transport models,” Geoscientific Model Development, vol. 3, pp. 753–769, 2010.
- A. Lavi, D. K. Farmer, E. Segre et al., “Fluxes of fine particles over a semi-arid pine forest: possible effects of a complex terrain,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. 906–915, 2013.
- M. Toda and M. Sugita, “Single level turbulence measurements to determine roughness parameters of complex terrain,” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 108, no. 12, 2003.
- A. Donateo, D. Contini, F. Belosi et al., “Characterisation of PM2.5 concentrations and turbulent fluxes on a island of the Venice lagoon using high temporal resolution measurements,” Meteorologische Zeitschrift, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 385–398, 2012.
- D. Cava, D. Contini, A. Donateo, and P. Martano, “Analysis of short-term closure of the surface energy balance above short vegetation,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 82–93, 2008.
- A. Donateo, D. Contini, and F. Belosi, “Real time measurements of PM2.5 concentrations and vertical turbulent fluxes using an optical detector,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1346–1360, 2006.
- D. Contini, A. Donateo, D. Cesari, F. Belosi, and S. Francioso, “Identification and characterisation of local aerosol sources using high temporal resolution measurements,” Journal of Environmental Monitoring, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 1709–1721, 2010.
- L. C. Kenny and R. A. Gussman, “Characterization and modelling of a family of cyclone aerosol preseparators,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 677–688, 1997.
- B. Chakrabarti, P. M. Fine, R. Delfino, and C. Sioutas, “Performance evaluation of the active-flow personal DataRAM PM2.5 mass monitor (Thermo Anderson pDR-1200) designed for continuous personal exposure measurements,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 38, no. 20, pp. 3329–3340, 2004.
- M. Heim, G. Kasper, G. P. Reischl, and C. Gerhart, “Performance of a new commercial electrical mobility spectrometer,” Aerosol Science and Technology, vol. 38, supplement 2, pp. 3–14, 2004.
- P. A. Baron and K. Willeke, Aerosol Measurement: Principles, Techniques, and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 2001.
- W. C. Hinds, Aerosol Technology: Properties, Behavior, and Measurement of Airborne Particles, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 1999.
- R. T. McMillen, “An eddy correlation technique with extended applicability to non-simple terrain,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 231–245, 1988.
- Ü. Rannik and T. Vesala, “Autoregressive filtering versus linear detrending in estimation of fluxes by the eddy covariance method,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 259–280, 1999.
- L. Mahrt, “Flux sampling errors for aircraft and towers,” Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 416–429, 1998.
- E. Lamaud, A. Chapuis, J. Fontan, and E. Serie, “Measurements and parameterization of aerosol dry deposition in a semi-arid area,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 28, no. 15, pp. 2461–2471, 1994.
- E. K. Webb, G. I. Pearman, and R. Leuning, “Correction of flux measurements for density effects due to heat and water vapour transfer,” Quarterly Journal Royal Meteorological Society, vol. 106, no. 447, pp. 85–100, 1980.
- Ü. Rannik, T. Vesala, and R. Keskinen, “On the damping of temperature fluctuations in a circular tube relevant to the eddy covariance measurement technique,” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 102, no. 11, pp. 12789–12794, 1997.
- T. W. Horst, “A simple formula for attenuation of eddy fluxes measured with first-order-response scalar sensors,” Boundary-Layer Meteorology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 219–233, 1997.
- P. E. Damay, D. Maro, A. Coppalle et al., “Size-resolved eddy covariance measurements of fine particle vertical fluxes,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 1050–1058, 2009.
- P. Roupsard, M. Amielh, D. Maro et al., “Measurement in a wind tunnel of dry deposition velocities of submicron aerosol with associated turbulence onto rough and smooth urban surfaces,” Journal of Aerosol Science, vol. 55, pp. 12–24, 2013.