- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 873593, 11 pages
Spatial and Temporal Characteristics of Meteorological Drought in Shandong Province, China, from 1961 to 2008
1Yantai Institute of Coastal Zone Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Yantai 264003, China
2University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, China
3College of Natural Resources and Environment, Northwest A&F University, Yangling, Shaanxi 712100, China
Received 10 February 2014; Revised 20 April 2014; Accepted 5 May 2014; Published 15 June 2014
Academic Editor: Shengli Huang
Copyright © 2014 Xiaoli Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Alley, T. Berntsen, N. L. Bindoff, et al., Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Summary for Policy Makers, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007.
- A. K. Mishra and V. P. Singh, “A review of drought concepts,” Journal of Hydrology, vol. 391, no. 1-2, pp. 202–216, 2010.
- N. Zeng, “Drought in the Sahel,” Science, vol. 302, no. 5647, pp. 999–1000, 2003.
- H. Ezzine, A. Bouzuane, and D. Ouazar, “Seasonal comparisons of meteorological and agricultural drought indices in Morocco using open short time-series data,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 26, pp. 36–48, 2014.
- S. Agrawala, M. Barlow, H. Cullen, and B. Lyon, The Drought and Humanitarian Crisis in Central and Southwest Asia: A Climate Perspective, International Research Institute (IRI) for Climate and Society, 2001.
- X. K. Zou, P. M. Zhai, and Q. Zhang, “Variations in droughts over China: 1951–2003,” Geophysical Research Letters, vol. 32, no. 4, Article ID L04707, 2005.
- S. Demuth and K. Stahl, Assessment of the Regional Impact of Droughts in Europe. Final Report to the European Union, Institute of Hydrology, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany, 2001.
- B. Lehner, P. Döll, J. Alcamo, T. Henrichs, and F. Kaspar, “Estimating the impact of global change on flood and drought risks in Europe: a continental, integrated analysis,” Climatic Change, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 273–299, 2006.
- E. R. Cook, R. Seager, M. A. Cane, and D. W. Stahle, “North American drought: reconstructions, causes, and consequences,” Earth-Science Reviews, vol. 81, no. 1-2, pp. 93–134, 2007.
- K. E. Logan, N. A. Brunsell, A. R. Jones, and J. J. Feddema, “Assessing spatiotemporal variability of drought in the U.S. central plains,” Journal of Arid Environments, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 247–255, 2010.
- A. Wang, D. P. Lettenmaier, and J. Sheffield, “Soil moisture drought in China, 1950–2006,” Journal of Climate, vol. 24, no. 13, pp. 3257–3271, 2011.
- E. Lu, Y. Luo, R. Zhang, Q. Wu, and L. Liu, “Regional atmospheric anomalies responsible for the 2009-2010 severe drought in China,” Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, vol. 116, no. 21, Article ID D21114, 2011.
- Q. Zhang, Drought and Its Impacts, China Climate Impact Assessment, China Meteorol Press, Beijing, China, 2003.
- D. Mihajlović, “Monitoring the 2003-2004 meteorological drought over Pannonian part of Croatia,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 2213–2225, 2006.
- T. B. McKee, N. J. Doesken, and J. Kleist, “The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales,” in Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Applied Climatology, American Meteorological Society, Anaheim, Calif, USA, January 1993.
- T. B. McKee, N. J. Doesken, and J. Kleist, “Drought monitoring with multiple time scales,” in Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Applied Climatology, pp. 233–236, American Meteorological Society, Dallas, Tex, USA, January 1995.
- C. S. Rim, “The implications of geography and climate on drought trend,” International Journal of Climatology, vol. 33, no. 13, pp. 2799–2815, 2013.
- W. C. Palmer, “Meteorological drought,” Research Paper 45, US Department of Commerce, Weather Bureau, 1965.
- A. Dai, K. E. Trenberth, and T. Qian, “A global dataset of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming,” Journal of Hydrometeorology, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1117–1130, 2004.
- F. N. Kogan, “Global Drought Watch from Space,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, vol. 78, no. 4, pp. 621–636, 1997.
- S. M. Quiring and S. Ganesh, “Evaluating the utility of the Vegetation Condition Index (VCI) for monitoring meteorological drought in Texas,” Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol. 150, no. 3, pp. 330–339, 2010.
- Q. Zhang, X. K. Zou, and F. J. Xiao, Meteorological Drought Level GB/T20481-2006, Standards Press, Beijing, China, 2006.
- C. H. Zhao, X. Z. Deng, Y. W. Yuan, H. Yan, and H. Liang, “Prediction of drought risk based on the WRF model in Yuannan province of China,” Advances in Meteorology, vol. 2013, Article ID 295856, 9 pages, 2013.
- X. K. Zou, G. Y. Ren, and Q. Zhang, “Droughts variations in China based on a compound index of meteorological drought,” Climatic and Environmental Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 371–378, 2010 (Chinese).
- T. Zhang, B. Zhang, Y. Wang, X. Liu, M. An, and J. Zhang, “Drought characteristics in the Shiyang River Basin during the recent 50 years based on a composite index,” Acta Ecologica Sinica, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 975–984, 2013 (Chinese).
- Y. Bao, C. Meng, S. Shen, X. Qiu, P. Gao, and C. Liu, “Temporal and spatial patterns of droughts for recent 50 years in Jiangsu based on meteorological drought composite index,” Acta Geographica Sinica, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 599–608, 2011 (Chinese).
- D. Q. Xue, J. G. Wang, X. T. Wang, and D. L. Gong, “Characteristic analysis of change into drought in Shandong Province,” Journal of Natural Disasters, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 60–65, 2007 (Chinese).
- Z. Gao, W. Gao, and N. B. Chang, “Integrating temperature vegetation dryness index (TVDI) and regional water stress index (RWSI) for drought assessment with the aid of LANDSAT TM/ETM+images,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 495–503, 2011.
- H. H. Jiang, “Variance features and correlativity analysis of drought disasters in Shandong Province,” Journal of Catastrophology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 51–55, 2000 (Chinese).
- L. Du, Q. Tian, Y. Huang, and J. Liu, “Drought monitoring based on TRMM data and its reliability validation in Shandong province,” Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 121–126, 2012 (Chinese).
- L. Du, Q. Tian, T. Yu et al., “A comprehensive drought monitoring method integrating MODIS and TRMM data,” International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 245–253, 2013.
- B. Gao, J. Z. Fan, Y. G. Jing, et al., “Variation characteristics of sunshine hours and its reason analysis over loess plateau of Shaanxi,” Meteorological and Environmental Research, vol. 2, no. 10, pp. 44–49, 2011.