- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Meteorology
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 903709, 8 pages
Changes in Glaciers and Glacial Lakes and the Identification of Dangerous Glacial Lakes in the Pumqu River Basin, Xizang (Tibet)
1Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Science, Lanzhou, Gansu 730000, China
2Center for Space and Remote Sensing Research, National Central University, Chung-Li 32001, Taiwan
Received 27 October 2013; Accepted 18 December 2013; Published 20 January 2014
Academic Editor: Chung-Ru Ho
Copyright © 2014 Tao Che et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Working group I, “Climate change 2013: the physical science basis, summary for policymakers,” IPCC 5th Assessment Report, 2013.
- X. Li, G. Cheng, H. Jin et al., “Cryospheric change in China,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 62, no. 3-4, pp. 210–218, 2008.
- T. Che, L. Xin, P. K. Mool, and J. Xu, “Monitoring glaciers and associated glacial lakes on the east slopes of Mount Xixabangma from remote sensing images,” Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 801–805, 2005 (Chinese).
- X. Wang, K. Wu, L. Jiang et al., “Wide expansion of glacial lakes in Tianshan Mountains during 1990–2010,” Acta Geographica Sinica, vol. 68, no. 7, pp. 984–993, 2013 (Chinese).
- X. Chen, P. Cui, Y. Li, Z. Yang, and Y. Qi, “Changes in glacial lakes and glaciers of post-1986 in the Poiqu River basin, Nyalam, Xizang (Tibet),” Geomorphology, vol. 88, no. 3-4, pp. 298–311, 2007.
- Y. Ding and J. Liu, “Glacier lake outburst flood disasters in China,” Annals of Glaciology, vol. 16, pp. 180–184, 1992.
- S. K. Jain, A. K. Lohani, R. D. Singh, A. Chaudhary, and L. N. Thakural, “Glacial lakes and glacial lake outburst flood in a Himalayan basin using remote sensing and GIS,” Natural Hazards, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 887–899, 2012.
- P. K. Mool, “Glacier lake outburst floods in Nepal,” Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 11, pp. 273–280, 1995.
- R. Kattelmann, “Glacial lake outburst floods in the Nepal Himalaya: a manageable hazard?” Natural Hazards, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 145–154, 2003.
- S. R. Bajracharya and P. K. Mool, “Glaciers, glacial lakes and glacial lake outburst floods in the Mount Everest region, Nepal,” Annals of Glaciology, vol. 50, no. 53, pp. 81–86, 2009.
- S. D. Richardson and J. M. Reynolds, “An overview of glacial hazards in the Himalayas,” Quaternary International, vol. 65-66, pp. 31–47, 2000.
- A. Kääb, C. Huggel, L. Fischer et al., “Remote sensing of glacier- and permafrost-related hazards in high mountains: an overview,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 527–554, 2005.
- R. Lv, A Study of Typical Mountain Hazards Along Sichuan-Tibet Highway, Chengdu University of Science and Technology Press, Chengdu, China, 1999 (Chinese).
- Z. Cheng, P. Zhu, and Y. Gong, “Typical debris flow triggered by ice-lake break,” Journal of Mountain Science, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 716–720, 2003 (Chinese).
- J. Huang, C. Wang, G. Wang, and C. Zhang, “Application of fuzzy comprehensive evaluation method in risk degree determination for ice-lake outburst-an example of Luozha county in Tibet,” Earth and Environment, vol. 33, supplement, 2005.
- X. Chen, P. Cui, Z. Yang, and Y. Qi, “Risk assessment of glacial lake outburst in the Poiqu River Basin of Tibet autonomous region,” Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 509–516, 2007 (Chinese).
- T. Bolch, M. F. Buchroithner, J. Peters, M. Baessler, and S. Bajracharya, “dentification of glacier motion and potentially dangerous glacial lakes in the Mt. Everest region/Nepal using spaceborne imagery,” Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1329–1340, 2008.
- X. Wang, S. Liu, W. Guo, F. Yu, and J. Xu, “Hazard assessment of moraine-dammed lake outburst floods a in the himalayas China,” Acta Geographica Sinica, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 782–790, 2009.
- Y. Shu, Hazard assessment of Morine-dammed lake outbursts in the Himalayas, Tibet and propagating numerical simulation [M.S. thesis], Jilin university, Jilin, China, 2011.
- Z. Li, T. Yao, Q. Ye, C. Li, and W. Wang, “Monitoring glacial lake variations based on remote sensing in the Lhozhag District, Eastern Himalayas, 1980–2007,” Journal of Natural Resources, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 836–846, 2011.
- L. Zhang, Outburst susceptiblity estimation of glacier lakes in Nielamu, Tibet, based on presort method [M.S. thesis], Jilin university, Jilin, China, 2012 (Chinese).
- J. Liu, Z. Cheng, and X. Chen, “The hazard assessment of glacier-lake outburst in Palongzangbu River,” Journal of Mountain Science, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 369–377, 2012 (Chinese).
- J. D. Ives, R. B. Shrestha, and P. K. Mool, Formation of Glacial Lakes in the Hindu Kush-Himalayas and GLOF Risk Assessment, ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2010.
- LIGG/WECS/NEA, Report on First Expedition to Glaciers and Glacier Lakes in the Pumqu (Arun) and Poique (Bhote-Sun Kosi) River Basins, Xizang (Tibet), China, Sino-Nepalese Investigation of Glacier Lake Outburst Floods in the Himalaya, Science Press, Beijing, China, 1988.
- R. Jin, X. Li, T. Che, L. Wu, and P. Mool, “Glacier area changes in the Pumqu river basin, Tibetan Plateau, between the 1970s and 2001,” Journal of Glaciology, vol. 51, no. 175, pp. 607–610, 2005.
- T. Che, R. Jin, X. Li, and L. Wu, “Glacial lakes variation and the potentially dangerous glacial lakes in the Pumqu basin of Tibet during the last two decades,” Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 397–402, 2004 (Chinese).
- A. Jarvis, H. I. Reuter, A. Nelson, and E. Guevara, “Hole-filled SRTM for the globe Version 4,” CGIAR-CSI SRTM 90m Database, 2008, http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org.
- C. Liu and L. Ding, “The newly progress of glacier inventory in Tianshan Mountains,” Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 167–170, 1986 (Chinese).
- C. Huggel, A. Kääb, W. Haeberli, P. Teysseire, and F. Paul, “Remote sensing based assessment of hazards from glacier lake outbursts: a case study in the Swiss Alps,” Canadian Geotechnical Journal, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 316–330, 2002.
- R. J. McKillop and J. J. Clague, “Statistical, remote sensing-based approach for estimating the probability of catastrophic drainage from moraine-dammed lakes in southwestern British Columbia,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 153–171, 2007.
- T. Bolch, J. Peters, A. Yegorov, B. Pradhan, M. Buchroithner, and V. Blagoveshchensky, “Identification of potentially dangerous glacial lakes in the northern Tien Shan,” Natural Hazards, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 1691–1714, 2011.
- D. K. Hall, K. J. Bayr, W. Schöner, R. A. Bindschadler, and J. Y. L. Chien, “Consideration of the errors inherent in mapping historical glacier positions in Austria from the ground and space (1893–2001),” Remote Sensing of Environment, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 566–577, 2003.
- R. S. Williams, D. K. Hall, O. Sigurbsson, and J. Y. L. Chien, “Comparison of satellite-derived with ground-based measurements of the fluctuations of the margins of Vatnajökull, Iceland, 1973–1992,” Annals of Glaciology, vol. 24, pp. 72–80, 1997.
- C. Liu, “Glacier lakes and their outburst behaviors in the Himalayas, Xizang,” in Proceedings of the 4th National Conference on Glaciology and Geocryology (Glaciology), pp. 141–150, Science Press, Beijing, China, 1990 (Chinese).
- S. R. Bajracharya, P. K. Mool, and B. R. Shrestha, “The impact of global warming on the glaciers of the Himalaya,” in Proceedings of the International Symposium on Geodisasters, Infrastructure Management and Protection of World Heritage Sites, pp. 231–242, 2006.
- Z. Yao, R. Duan, X. Dong, and C. Yu, “The progress and trends of glacial lakes research on Qinghai-Tibet Plateau,” Progress in Geography, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 10–14 (Chinese).
- M. Chiarle, S. Iannotti, G. Mortara, and P. Deline, “Recent debris flow occurrences associated with glaciers in the Alps,” Global and Planetary Change, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 123–136, 2007.
- P. Cui, D. Ma, N. Chen, and Z. Jiang, “The initiation, motion and mitigation of debris flow caused by glacial lake outburst,” Quaternary Sciences, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 621–628, 2003 (Chinese).