- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mathematical Physics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 625978, 16 pages
Quantum Dynamical Semigroups and Decoherence
1Faculty of Physics, University of Bielefeld, Universitätsstraβe 25, 33615 Bielefeld, Germany
2Bundesamt für Strahlenschutz (Federal Office for Radiation Protection), Willy-Brandt-Straße 5, 38226 Salzgitter, Germany
Received 22 June 2011; Accepted 31 August 2011
Academic Editor: Christian Maes
Copyright © 2011 Mario Hellmich. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Haag, Local Quantum Physics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1996.
- F. Strocchi, An Introduction to the Mathematical Structure of Quantum Mechanics, World Scientific, Hackensack, NJ, USA, 2005.
- P. Blanchard and R. Olkiewicz, “Decoherence induced transition from quantum to classical dynamics,” Reviews in Mathematical Physics, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 217–243, 2003.
- R. Olkiewicz, “Environment-induced superselection rules in Markovian regime,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 208, no. 1, pp. 245–265, 1999.
- N. P. Landsman, “When champions meet: rethinking the Bohr-Einstein debate,” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science B, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 212–242, 2006.
- N. P. Landsman, “Between classical and quantum,” in Handbook of the Philosophy of Science: Philosophy of Physics, J. Butterfield and J. Earman, Eds., North Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2007.
- E. B. Davies, Quantum Theory of Open Systems, Academic Press, London, UK, 1976.
- H.-P. Breuer and F. Petruccione, The Theory of Open Quantum Systems, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2002.
- K. J. Engel and R. Nagel, One-Parameter Semigroups for Linear Evolution Equations, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2000.
- O. Bratteli and D. W. Robinson, Operator Algebras and Quantum-Statistical Mechanics I, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1987.
- K. Jacobs, “Fastperiodizitätseigenschaften allgemeiner Halbgruppen in Banach-Räumen,” Mathematische Zeitschrift, vol. 67, pp. 83–92, 1957.
- K. De Leeuw and I. Glicksberg, “Almost periodic compactifications,” Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 65, pp. 134–139, 1959.
- K. De Leeuw and I. Glicksberg, “Applications of almost periodic compactifications,” Acta Mathematica, vol. 105, pp. 63–97, 1961.
- J. van Neerven, The Asymptotic Behaviour of Semigroups of Linear Operators, Birkhäuser, Basel, Switzerland, 1996.
- W. Arendt and C. J. K. Batty, “Tauberian theorems and stability of one-parameter semigroups,” Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 306, no. 2, pp. 837–852, 1988.
- Y. I. Lyubich and Q. P. Vû, “Asymptotic stability of linear differential equations in Banach spaces,” Studia Mathematica, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1988.
- B. Blackadar, Operator Algebras, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- B. Kümmerer and R. Nagel, “Mean ergodic semigroups on -algebras,” Acta Scientiarum Mathematicarum, vol. 41, no. 1-2, pp. 151–159, 1979.
- A. Bátkai, U. Groh, C. Kunszenti-Kovács, and M. Schreiber, “Decomposition of operator semigroups on -algebras,” http://arxiv.org/abs/1106.0287v1.
- D. E. Evans, “Irreducible quantum dynamical semigroups,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 293–297, 1977.
- J. Tomiyama, “On the projection of norm one in -algebras,” Proceedings of the Japan Academy, vol. 33, pp. 125–129, 1957.
- D. W. Robinson, “Strongly positive semigroups and faithful invariant states,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 129–142, 1982.
- A. Frigerio, “Stationary states of quantum dynamical semigroups,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 269–276, 1978.
- M. Hellmich, Decoherence in infinite quantum systems, Ph.D. thesis, University of Bielefeld, Bielefeld, Germany, 2009.
- R. Carbone, E. Sasso, and V. Umanità, “Decoherence for positive semigroups on ,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 52, no. 3, Article ID 032202, 2011.
- A. Dhahri, F. Fagnola, and R. Rebolledo, “The decoherence-free subalgebra of a quantum Markov semigroup with unbounded generator,” Infinite Dimensional Analysis, Quantum Probability and Related Topics, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 413–433, 2010.
- R. Rebolledo, “Decoherence of quantum Markov semigroups,” Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincar é, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 349–373, 2005.
- R. Rebolledo, “A view on decoherence via master equations,” Open Systems and Information Dynamics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 37–54, 2005.
- R. Alicki, “Controlled quantum open systems,” Lecture Notes in Physics, vol. 622, pp. 121–139, 2003.
- J. Tomiyama, “On the projection of norm one in -algebras II,” The Tôhoku Mathematical Journal, vol. 10, pp. 125–129, 1958.
- P. Ługiewicz and R. Olkiewicz, “Classical properties of infinite quantum open systems,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 239, no. 1-2, pp. 241–259, 2003.
- E. Christensen, “Generators of semigroups of completely positive maps,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 167–171, 1978.
- A. Connes, “Classification of injective factors,” Annals of Mathematics, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 73–115, 1976.
- G. Lindblad, “On the generators of quantum dynamical semigroups,” Communications in Mathematical Physics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 119–130, 1976.
- H. Spohn, “An algebraic condition for the approach to equilibrium of an open N-level system,” Letters in Mathematical Physics, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 33–38, 1977.
- A. Frigerio and M. Verri, “Long-time asymptotic properties of dynamical semigroups on -algebras,” Mathematische Zeitschrift, vol. 180, no. 2, pp. 275–286, 1982.