- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mathematical Physics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 197385, 16 pages
A Note on the Newman-Unti Group and the BMS Charge Algebra in Terms of Newman-Penrose Coefficients
1Physique Théorique et Mathématique, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Campus Plaine, CP 231, 1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
2International Solvay Institutes, Campus Plaine, CP 231, 1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
Received 27 September 2012; Accepted 30 November 2012
Academic Editor: Andrei D. Mironov
Copyright © 2012 Glenn Barnich and Pierre-Henry Lambert. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Bondi, M. G. van der Burg, and A. W. Metzner, “Gravitational waves in general relativity. VII. Waves from axi-symmetric isolated systems,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 269, no. 1336, pp. 21–52, 1962.
- R. K. Sachs, “Gravitational waves in general relativity. 8. Waves in asymptotically flat space-times,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 270, pp. 103–126, 1962.
- E. T. Newman and T. W. J. Unti, “Behavior of asymptotically flat empty spaces,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 891–901, 1962.
- R. K. Sachs, “Asymptotic symmetries in gravitational theory,” Physical Review, vol. 128, pp. 2851–2864, 1962.
- G. Barnich and C. Troessaert, “Symmetries of asymptotically flat four-dimensional spacetimes at null infinity revisited,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 105, no. 11, Article ID 111103, 2010.
- G. Barnich and C. Troessaert, “Aspects of the BMS/CFT correspondence,” Journal of High Energy Physics, vol. 1005, article 062, 2010.
- G. Barnich and C. Troessaert, “Supertranslations call for superrotations,” Proceedings of Science CNCFG, 010, 2010, http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.4632.
- R. Geroch, “Asymptotic structure of space-time,” in Symposium on the Asymptotic Structure of Space-Time, P. Esposito and L. Witten, Eds., pp. 1–105, Plenum, New York, NY, USA, 1977.
- R. Penrose, “Asymptotic properties of fields and space-times,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 66–68, 1963.
- C. Imbimbo, A. Schwimmer, S. Theisen, and S. Yankielowicz, “Diffeomorphisms and holographic anomalies,” Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1129–1138, 2000.
- G. Barnich, “A note on gauge systems from the point of view of Lie algebroids,” AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1307, pp. 7–18, 2010.
- J. Foster, “Conformal structure of i+ and asymptotic symmetry. I. Definitions and local theory,” Journal of Physics A, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 93–102, 1978.
- J. Foster, “Asymptotic symmetry and the global structure of future null infinity,” International Journal of Theoretical Physics, vol. 26, pp. 1107–1124, 1987.
- E. Newman and R. Penrose, “An approach to gravitational radiation by a method of spin coefficients,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 566–578, 1962.
- E. P. Newman and K. P. Tod, “Asymptotically flat space-times,” in General Relativity and Gravitation. 100 Years after the Birth of Albert Einstein. Volume 2, pp. 1–36, Plenum Press, 1980.
- G. Barnich and C. Troessaert, “BMS charge algebra,” Journal of High Energy Physics, vol. 1112, article 105, 2011.
- R. Penrose, “Conformal treatment of infinity,” in Relativity, Groups and Topology: Les Houches 1963, B. D. C. DeWitt, Ed., pp. 563–584, Gordon and Breach, 1964.
- R. Penrose, “Zero rest mass fields including gravitation: asymptotic behavior,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 284, pp. 159–203, 1965.
- L. A. Tamburino and J. H. Winicour, “Gravitational fields in finite and conformal Bondi frames,” Physical Review, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 1039–1053, 1966.
- R. Penrose, “Relativistic symmetry groups,” in Group Theory in Non-Linear Problems, A. O. Barut, Ed., pp. 1–58, Reidel Publishing Company, Dodrecht, The Netherlands, 1974.
- B. Schmidt, M. Walker, and P. Sommers, “A characterization of the Bondi-Metzner-Sachs group,” General Relativity and Gravitation, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 489–497, 1975.
- S. J. Fletcher and A. W. C. Lun, “The Kerr spacetime in generalized Bondi-Sachs coordinates,” Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 4153–4167, 2003.
- J. A. V. Kroon, “A comment on the outgoing radiation condition for the gravitational field and the peeling theorem,” General Relativity and Gravitation, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1219–1224, 1999.
- E. T. Newman and R. Penrose, “Note on the Bondi-Metzner-Sachs group,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 863–870, 1966.
- R. Penrose and W. Rindler, Spinors and Space-Time, Volume 2: Spinor and Twistor Methods in Space-Time Geometry, Cambridge University Press, 1986.
- A. Held, E. T. Newman, and R. Posadas, “The Lorentz group and the sphere,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 3145–3154, 1970.
- T. Dray and M. Streubel, “Angular momentum at null infinity,” Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 15–26, 1984.
- R. Penrose, “Quasi-local mass and angular momentum in general relativity,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 381, no. 1780, pp. 53–63, 1982.
- E. H. Saidi and M. Zakkari, “Harmonic distributions, Diff(S2), and Virasoro algebra,” Tech. Rep. IC/90/257, ICTP, 1990.