- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mathematical Physics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 498789, 7 pages
Complexity and the Fractional Calculus
1Center for Nonlinear Science, University of North Texas, P.O. Box 311427, Denton, TX 76203-1427, USA
2Instituto de Alta Investigación, Universidad de Tarapacá, Casilla 6-D, Arica, Chile
3Information Science Directorate, Army Research Office, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Received 21 March 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Dumitru Baleanu
Copyright © 2013 Pensri Pramukkul et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. M. Sokolov, J. Klafter, and A. Blumen, “Fractional kinetics,” Physics Today, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 48–54, 2002.
- V. Seshadri and B. J. West, “Fractal dimensionality of Lévy processes,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 79, no. 14, pp. 4501–4505, 1982.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “The random walk's guide to anomalous diffusion: a fractional dynamics approach,” Physics Reports, vol. 339, no. 1, p. 77, 2000.
- R. Metzler, W. G. Glöke, and T. F. Nonnenmacher, “Fractional model equation for anomalous diffusion,” Physica A, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 13–24, 1994.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- J. Klafter, S. C. Lim, and R. Metzler, Eds., Fractional Dynamics: Recent Advances, World Scientific, Singapore, 2012.
- B. N. Lundstrom, M. H. Higgs, W. J. Spain, and A. L. Fairhall, “Fractional differentiation by neocortical pyramidal neurons,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 1335–1342, 2008.
- E. Kaslik and S. Sivasundaram, “Nonlinear dynamics and chaos in fractional-order neural networks,” Neural Networks, vol. 32, pp. 245–256, 2012.
- E. Ahmed, A. M. A. El-Sayed, and H. A. A. El-Saka, “Equilibrium points, stability and numerical solutions of fractional-order predator-prey and rabies models,” Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, vol. 325, no. 1, pp. 542–553, 2007.
- R. L. Magin, Fractional Calculus in Bioengineering, Begell House, Redding, Conn, USA, 2006.
- F. Gómez, J. Bernal, J. Rosales, and T. Cordova, “Modeling and simulation of equivalent circuits in description of biological systems—a fractional calculus approach,” Journal of Electrical Bioimpedance, vol. 3, p. 2, 2012.
- D. Baleanu, K. Diethelm, E. Scalas, and J. J. Trujillo, Fractional Calculus Models and Numerical Methods, vol. 3 of Complexity, Nonlinearity and Chaos, World Scientific, 2012.
- S. Bhalekar, V. Daftardar-Gejji, D. Baleanu, and R. Magin, “Transient chaos in fractional Bloch equations,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 3367–3376, 2012.
- I. Grigorenko and E. Grigorenko, “Chaotic dynamics of the fractional Lorenz system,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 91, no. 3, Article ID 034101, 4 pages, 2003.
- C. Li and G. Chen, “Chaos in the fractional order Chen system and its control,” Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 549–554, 2004.
- R. W. Ibrahim, “Stability and stabilizing of fractional complex Lorenz Systems,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2013, Article ID 127103, 13 pages, 2013.
- L.-J. Sheu, H.-K. Chen, J.-H. Chen et al., “Chaos in the Newton-Leipnik system with fractional order,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 98–103, 2008.
- H. Ye and Y. Ding, “Nonlinear dynamics and chaos in a fractional-order HIV model,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2009, Article ID 378614, 12 pages, 2009.
- A. A. Stanislavsky, “Hamiltonian formalism of fractional systems,” The European Physical Journal B, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 2006.
- F. Mainardi and R. Gorenflo, “On Mittag-Leffler-type functions in fractional evolution processes,” Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 118, no. 1-2, pp. 283–299, 2000.
- M. G. Mittag-Leffler, “Sur la nouvelle function Eα(x),” Comptes Rendus De L'Académie Des Sciences, vol. 137, pp. 554–558, 1903.
- B. J. West, M. Bologna, and P. Grigolini, Physics of Fractal Operators, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- R. Metzler and J. Klafter, “From stretched exponential to inverse power-law: fractional dynamics, Cole-Cole relaxation processes, and beyond,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 305, no. 1–3, pp. 81–87, 2002.
- R. Gorenflo and F. Mainardi, “Continuous time random walk, Mittag-Leffler waiting time and fractional diffusion: mathematical aspect,” in WEHeraeus—Seminar on Anomalous Transport: Experimental Results and Theoretical Challenges, Physikzentrum Bad-Honnef, July 2006.
- M. M. Meerschaert, E. Nane, and P. Vellaisamy, “The fractional Poisson process and the inverse stable subordinator,” Electronic Journal of Probability, vol. 16, pp. 1600–1620, 2011.
- B. V. Gnedenko and V. Yu. Korolev, Random Summation: Limit Theorems and Applications, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- M. Zare and P. Grigolini, “Cooperation in neural systems: bridging complexity and periodicity,” Physical Review E, vol. 86, Article ID 051918, 6 pages, 2012.
- G. Zumofen and J. Klafter, “Scale-invariant motion in intermittent chaotic systems,” Physical Review E, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 851–863, 1993.
- R. Failla, P. Grigolini, M. Ignaccolo, and A. Schwettmann, “Random growth of interfaces as a subordinated process,” Physical Reviews E, vol. 70, Article ID 010101, 4 pages, 2004.
- J. P. Bouchaud, “Weak ergodicity breaking and aging in disordered systems,” Journal De Physique I, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 1705–1713, 1992.
- E. Barkai, Y. Garini, and R. Metzler, “Strange kinetics of single molecules in living cells,” Physics Today, vol. 65, no. 8, p. 29, 2012.
- E. Tagliazucchi, P. Balenzuela, D. Fraiman, and D. R. Chialvo, “Criticality in large-scale brain fMRI dynamics unveiled by a novel point process analysis,” Frontiers in Physiology, vol. 3, article 15, 2012.
- M. Turalska, B. J. West, and P. Grigolini, “Temporal complexity of the order parameter at the phase transition,” Physical Reviews E, vol. 83, Article ID 061142, 6 pages, 2011.
- E. W. Montroll and G. H. Weiss, “Random walks on lattices. II,” Journal of Mathematical Physics, vol. 6, pp. 167–181, 1965.
- J.-P. Bouchaud and A. Georges, “Anomalous diffusion in disordered media: statistical mechanisms, models and physical applications,” Physics Reports, vol. 195, no. 4-5, pp. 127–293, 1990.
- H. C. Fogedby, “Lévy flights in random environments,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 73, pp. 2517–2520, 1994.
- H. C. Fogedby, “Lévy flights in quenched random force fields,” Physical Reviews E, vol. 58, pp. 1690–1712, 1998.
- N. H. Bingham, “Limit theorems for occupation times of Markov processes,” Zeitschrift für Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie und Verwandte Gebiete, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–22, 1971.
- A. A. Stanislavsky, “Fractional dynamics from the ordinary Langevin equation,” Physical Review E, vol. 67, no. 2, Article ID 021111, 6 pages, 2003.