- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mathematical Physics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 941096, 10 pages
Higher Order Compact Finite Difference Schemes for Unsteady Boundary Layer Flow Problems
1Department of Mathematics, University of Johannesburg, P.O. Box 17011, Doornfontein 2028, South Africa
2School of Mathematical Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Private Bag X01, Pietermaritzburg, Scottsville 3209, South Africa
Received 1 October 2013; Accepted 2 December 2013
Academic Editor: Waqar Khan
Copyright © 2013 P. G. Dlamini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. C. Sakiadis, “Boundary-layer behavior on continuous solid surfaces: II. The boundary layer on a continuous flat surface,” AIChE Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 221–225, 1961.
- J. C. Williams III and T. B. Rhyne, “Boundary layer development on a wedge impulsively set into motion,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 215–224, 1980.
- T. Cebeci and P. Bradshaw, Physical and Computational Aspects of Convective Heat Transfer, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- R. Seshadri, N. Sreeshylan, and G. Nath, “Unsteady mixed convection flow in the stagnation region of a heated vertical plate due to impulsive motion,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1345–1352, 2002.
- R. Nazar, N. Amin, and I. Pop, “Unsteady boundary layer flow due to a stretching surface in a rotating fluid,” Mechanics Research Communications, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 121–128, 2004.
- R. Nazar, N. Amin, D. Filip, and I. Pop, “Unsteady boundary layer flow in the region of the stagnation point on a stretching sheet,” International Journal of Engineering Science, vol. 42, no. 11-12, pp. 1241–1253, 2004.
- S. Liao, “An analytic solution of unsteady boundary-layer flows caused by an impulsively stretching plate,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 326–339, 2006.
- H. Xu, S.-J. Liao, and I. Pop, “Series solutions of unsteady three-dimensional MHD flow and heat transfer in the boundary layer over an impulsively stretching plate,” European Journal of Mechanics B, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2007.
- X. You, H. Xu, and I. Pop, “Homotopy analysis of unsteady heat transfer started impulsively from rest along a symmetric wedge,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2010.
- T. Fan, H. Xu, and I. Pop, “Unsteady stagnation flow and heat transfer towards a shrinking sheet,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1440–1446, 2010.
- Z. Abbas, T. Hayat, M. Sajid, and S. Asghar, “Unsteady flow of a second grade fluid film over an unsteady stretching sheet,” Mathematical and Computer Modelling, vol. 48, no. 3-4, pp. 518–526, 2008.
- I. Ahmad, M. Sajid, T. Hayat, and M. Ayub, “Unsteady axisymmetric flow of a second-grade fluid over a radially stretching sheet,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1351–1357, 2008.
- T. Hayat and Z. Abbas, “Heat transfer analysis on the MHD flow of a second grade fluid in a channel with porous medium,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 556–567, 2008.
- A. Ali and A. Mehmood, “Homotopy analysis of unsteady boundary layer flow adjacent to permeable stretching surface in a porous medium,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 340–349, 2008.
- A. Mehmood, A. Ali, and T. Shah, “Heat transfer analysis of unsteady boundary layer flow by homotopy analysis method,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 902–912, 2008.
- A. Alizadeh-Pahlavan and K. Sadeghy, “On the use of homotopy analysis method for solving unsteady MHD flow of Maxwellian fluids above impulsively stretching sheets,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1355–1365, 2009.
- P. G. Dlamini, S. S. Motsa, and M. Khumalo, “On the comparison between compact finite difference and pseudospectral approaches for solving similarity boundary layer problems,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2013, Article ID 746489, 15 pages, 2013.
- S. K. Lele, “Compact finite difference schemes with spectral-like resolution,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 16–42, 1992.
- M. Sari and G. Gürarslan, “A sixth-order compact finite difference scheme to the numerical solutions of Burgers' equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 208, no. 2, pp. 475–483, 2009.
- P.-G. Zhang and J.-P. Wang, “A predictor-corrector compact finite difference scheme for Burgers' equation,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 219, no. 3, pp. 892–898, 2012.
- A. Shah, L. Yuan, and A. Khan, “Upwind compact finite difference scheme for time-accurate solution of the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations,” Applied Mathematics and Computation, vol. 215, no. 9, pp. 3201–3213, 2010.
- J. Li and M. R. Visbal, “High-order compact schemes for nonlinear dispersive waves,” Journal of Scientific Computing, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 2006.
- B. Düring, M. Fournié, and A. Jüngel, “High order compact finite difference schemes for a nonlinear Black-Scholes equation,” International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 767–789, 2003.
- M. Bastani and D. K. Salkuyeh, “A highly accurate method to solve Fisher's equation,” Pramana, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 335–346, 2012.
- M. Sari, “Solution of the porous media equation by a compact finite difference method,” Mathematical Problems in Engineering, vol. 2009, Article ID 912541, 13 pages, 2009.
- M. Sari and G. Gürarslan, “A sixth-order compact finite difference method for the one-dimensional sine-Gordon equation,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1126–1138, 2011.
- A. H. Srinivasa and A. T. Eswara, “Unsteady MHD laminar boundary layer flow due to an impulsively stretching surface,” in Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering (WCE '11), vol. 1, pp. 252–255, London, UK, July 2011.
- S. S. Motsa and Z. G. Makukula, “On spectral relaxation method approach for steady von Kármán flow of a Reiner-Rivlin fluid with Joule heating, viscous dissipation and suction/injection,” Central European Journal of Physics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 363–374, 2013.
- S. S. Motsa, P. Dlamini, and M. Khumalo, “A new multistage spectral relaxation method for solving chaotic initial value systems,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 265–283, 2013.
- S. S. Motsa, P. G. Dlamini, and M. Khumalo, “Solving hyperchaotic systems using the spectral relaxation method,” Abstract and Applied Analysis, vol. 2012, Article ID 203461, 18 pages, 2012.