- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Mathematical Physics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 953695, 10 pages
Experimental Characterization of Ionic Polymer Metal Composite as a Novel Fractional Order Element
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica, Elettronica ed Informatica, Università degli Studi di Catania, V. le A. Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Received 17 May 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Dumitru Baleanu
Copyright © 2013 Riccardo Caponetto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Shahinpoor and K. J. Kim, “Ionic polymer-metal composites: I. Fundamentals,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 819–833, 2001.
- M. Shahinpoor, Y. Bar-Cohen, J. O. Simpson, and J. Smith, “Ionic polymer-metal composites (IPMCs) as biomimetic sensors, actuators and artificial muscles—a review,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. R15–R30, 1998.
- M. Shahinpoor and K. J. Kim, “Ionic polymer-metal composites: IV. Industrial and medical applications,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 197–214, 2005.
- W.-S. Chu, K. T. Lee, S.-H. Song, et al., “Review of biomimetic underwater robots using smart actuators,” International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1281–1292, 2012.
- D. Pugal, K. Jung, A. Aabloo, and K. J. Kim, “Ionic polymer-metal composite mechanoelectrical transduction: review and perspectives,” Polymer International, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 279–289, 2010.
- K. M. Newbury and D. J. Leo, “Linear electromechanical model of ionic polymer transducers—part I: model development,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 333–342, 2003.
- R. Kanno, A. Kurata, S. Tadokoro, T. Takamori, and K. Oguro, “Characteristics and modeling of ICPF actuator,” in Proceedings of the Japan-USA Symposium on Flexible Automation, pp. 219–225, 1994.
- C. Bonomo, L. Fortuna, P. Giannone, S. Graziani, and S. Strazzeri, “A nonlinear model for ionic polymer metal composites as actuators,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2007.
- P. Brunetto, L. Fortuna, S. Graziani, and S. Strazzeri, “A model of ionic polymer-metal composite actuators in underwater operations,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 17, no. 2, Article ID 025029, 12 pages, 2008.
- C. Bonomo, L. Fortuna, P. Giannone, S. Graziani, and S. Strazzeri, “A model for ionic polymer metal composites as sensors,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 749–758, 2006.
- D. Pugal, H. Kasemägi, K. J. Kim, M. Kruusmaa, and A. Aabloo, “Finite element simulations of the bending of the IPMC sheet,” in Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD '07), Proceedings of SPIE, San Diego, Calif, USA, March 2007.
- R. Caponetto, V. De Luca, S. Graziani, F. Sapuppo, and E. Umana, “A multi-physics model of an IPMC actuator in the electrical, chemical, mechanical and thermal domains,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD '12), Seville, Spain, September 2012.
- R. Caponetto, G. Dongola, L. Fortuna, S. Graziani, and S. Strazzeri, “A fractional model for IPMC actuators,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, pp. 2103–2107, Victoria, Canada, May 2008.
- L. Chang, H. Chen, and Z. Zhu, “A structure model for Ionic polymer-metal composite (IPMC),” in Electroactive Polymer Actuators and Devices (EAPAD '12), vol. 8340 of Proceedings of SPIE, April 2012.
- S. C. D. Roy, “On the realization of a constant-argument immittance or fractional operator,” IEEE Transactions on Circuit Theory, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 264–274, 1967.
- G. W. Bohannan, “Analog realization of a fractional control element—revisited,” 2002.
- H. Sheng, H. G. Sun, C. Coopmans, Y. Q. Chen, and G. W. Bohannan, “A physical experimental study of variable-order fractional integrator and differentiator,” European Physical Journal: Special Topics, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 93–104, 2011.
- T. C. Haba, G. Ablart, T. Camps, and F. Olivie, “Influence of the electrical parameters on the input impedance of a fractal structure realised on silicon,” Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 479–490, 2005.
- G. W. Bohannan, “Analog fractional order controller in temperature and motor control applications,” Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 14, no. 9-10, pp. 1487–1498, 2008.
- I. S. Jesus and J. A. Tenreiro MacHado, “Development of fractional order capacitors based on electrolyte processes,” Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 45–55, 2009.
- K. Biswas, S. Sen, and P. K. Dutta, “Realization of a constant phase element and its performance study in a differentiator circuit,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 802–806, 2006.
- K. Biswas, Studies on design, development and performance analysis of capacitive type sensors [Ph.D. dissertation], Dep. Elect. Eng., IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur, India, 2006.
- M. S. Krishna, S. Das, K. Biswas, and B. Goswami, “Characterization of a fractional order element realized by dipping a capacitive type probe in polarizable medium,” in Proceedings of the Lisbon Symposium on Fractional Signals and Systems, Lisbon, Portugal, November 2009.
- “Aldrich Technical Information Bulletin AL-163,” Nafion Resins.
- K. B. Oldham and J. Spanier, The Fractional Calculus: Theory and Applications of Differentiation and Integration to Arbitrary Order, Dover Books on Mathematics, 2006.
- I. Podlubny, Fractional Differential Equations, vol. 198 of Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 1999.
- R. Caponetto, G. Dongola, L. Fortuna, and I. Petras, “Fractional order systems: modelling and control applications,” in Nonlinear Science, Series A, vol. 72, World Scientific, Singapore, 2010.
- Z. Jiao, Y. Chen, and I. Podlubny, Distributed-Order Dynamic Systems, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2012.