- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 715872, 14 pages
Critical Analysis on the Structural and Magnetic Properties of Bulk and Nanocrystalline Cu-Fe-O
1Materials Science Centre, Department of Nuclear Physics, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600 025, India
2Center for Condensed Matter Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei 10617, Taiwan
3Center for Study of Matter at Extreme Conditions, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA
4Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Advanced Light Source, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Received 1 November 2010; Accepted 16 December 2010
Academic Editor: Jacques Huot
Copyright © 2010 D. Paul Joseph et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Rode, A. Anane, R. Mattana, J. P. Contour, O. Durand, and R. LeBourgeois, “Magnetic semiconductors based on cobalt substituted ZnO,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 7676–7678, 2003.
- P. V. Radovanovic and D. R. Gamelin, “High-temperature ferromagnetism in Ni-doped ZnO aggregates prepared from colloidal diluted magnetic semiconductor quantum dots,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 91, no. 15, Article ID 157202, 4 pages, 2003.
- D. P. Joseph, G. S. Kumar, and C. Venkateswaran, “Structural, magnetic and optical studies of Zn0.95Mn0.05O DMS,” Materials Letters, vol. 59, no. 21, pp. 2720–2724, 2005.
- Y. Matsumoto, M. Murakami, T. Shono et al., “Room-temperature ferromagnetism in transparent transition metal-doped titanium dioxide,” Science, vol. 291, no. 5505, pp. 854–856, 2001.
- S. B. Ogale, R. J. Choudhary, J. P. Buban et al., “High temperature ferromagnetism with a giant magnetic moment in transparent co-doped Sn,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 91, no. 7, Article ID 077205, 4 pages, 2003.
- T. S. Herng, S. P. Lau, S. F. Yu, H. Y. Yang, K. S. Teng, and J. S. Chen, “Enhancement of ferromagnetism and stability in Cu-doped ZnO by N2O annealing,” Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, vol. 19, Article ID 356214, 2007.
- S. Deka and P. A. Joy, “Synthesis and magnetic properties of Mn doped ZnO nanowires,” Solid State Communications, vol. 142, no. 4, pp. 190–194, 2007.
- H. Ohno, “Making nonmagnetic semiconductors ferromagnetic,” Science, vol. 281, no. 5379, pp. 951–956, 1998.
- K. Sato and H. Katayama-Yoshida, “Stabilization of ferromagnetic states by electron doping in Fe-, Co- or Ni-doped ZnO,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. L334–L336, 2001.
- D. P. Joseph, S. Naveenkumar, N. Sivakumar, and C. Venkateswaran, “Synthesis of Zn0.95Cr0.05O DMS by co-precipitation and ceramic methods: structural and magnetization studies,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 188–192, 2006.
- T. Fukumura, Y. Yamada, K. Tamura et al., “Magneto-optical spectroscopy of anatase TiO2 doped with Co,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. L105–L107, 2003.
- Ü. Özgür, Ya. I. Alivov, C. Liu et al., “A comprehensive review of ZnO materials and devices,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 98, no. 4, Article ID 041301, 103 pages, 2005.
- K. Ando, H. Saito, Z. Jin et al., “Magneto-optical properties of ZnO-based diluted magnetic semiconductors,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 7284–7286, 2001.
- P. Dal, H. A. Mook, G. Aeppll, S. M. Hayden, and F. Doǧan, “Resonance as a measure of pairing correlations in the high-Tc superconductor YBa2Cu3O6.6,” Nature, vol. 406, no. 6799, pp. 965–968, 2000.
- C. L. Carnes and K. J. Klabunde, “The catalytic methanol synthesis over nanoparticle metal oxide catalysts,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical, vol. 194, no. 1-2, pp. 227–236, 2003.
- M. Frietsch, F. Zudock, J. Goschnick, and M. Bruns, “CuO catalytic membrane as selectivity trimmer for metal oxide gas sensors,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 379–381, 2000.
- M. G. Smith, R. D. Taylor, M. P. Pasternak, and H. Oesterreicher, “Mössbauer spectroscopy of CuO and its relevance to high-temperature superconductors,” Physical Review B, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 2188–2192, 1990.
- P. Shah and A. Gupta, “Mössbauer study of iron-doped CuO,” Physical Review B, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 483–485, 1992.
- S. B. Ogale, P. G. Bilurkar, S. Joshi, and G. Marest, “Ion57 implantation in laser-deposited cupric and cuprous oxide films: Mössbauer spectroscopy and X-ray-diffraction studies,” Physical Review B, vol. 50, no. 14, pp. 9743–9751, 1994.
- A. Gupta and P. Shah, “Effect of oxygen stoichiometry in CuO,” Physical Review B, vol. 50, no. 18, pp. 13706–13709, 1994.
- S. J. Stewart, G. F. Goya, G. Punte, and R. C. Mercader, “Phase transformations in Fe-doped cupric oxide,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 1997.
- S. G. Yang, T. Li, B. X. Gu et al., “Ferromagnetism in Mn-doped CuO,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 83, no. 18, pp. 3746–3748, 2003.
- R. A. Borzi, S. J. Stewart, G. Punte et al., “Effect of ion doping on CuO magnetism,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 87, no. 9, pp. 4870–4872, 2000.
- Y. R. Park, K. J. Kim, S. L. Choi et al., “Ferromagnetism in Fe-doped cupric oxide,” Physica Status Solidi B, vol. 244, no. 12, pp. 4578–4581, 2007.
- M. Ivill, M. E. Overberg, C. R. Abernathy et al., “Properties of Mn-doped CuO semiconducting thin films grown by pulsed-laser deposition,” Solid-State Electronics, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 2215–2220, 2003.
- T. Tanaka, “Optical constants of polycrystalline 3d transition metal. Oxides in the wavelength region 350 to 1200 nm,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1043–1047, 1979.
- Y. Ushio, M. Miyayama, and H. Yanagida, “Photoinduced current of CuO/ZnO thin-film heterojunction in humid atmosphere,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 1136–1139, 1994.
- D. H. Yoon, J. H. Yu, and G. M. Choi, “CO gas sensing properties of ZnO-CuO composite,” Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 15–23, 1998.
- S. N. Kale, S. B. Ogale, S. R. Shinde et al., “Magnetism in cobalt-doped CuO thin films without and with Al, V, or Zn codopants,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 82, no. 13, pp. 2100–2102, 2003.
- D. P. Joseph, T. P. David, S. P. Raja, and C. Venkateswaran, “Phase stabilization and characterization of nanocrystalline Fe-doped Cu2O,” Materials Characterization, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 1137–1139, 2008.
- W. Wang, O. K. Varghese, C. Ruan, M. Paulose, and C. A. Grimes, “Synthesis of CuO and Cu2O crystalline nanowires using Cu(OH)2 nanowire templates,” Journal of Materials Research, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 2756–2759, 2003.
- L. Lutterotti, “MAUD materials analysis using diffraction version:1.84,” 2002, http://www.ing.unitn.it/~maud/.
- N. C. Holmes, J. A. Moriarty, G. R. Gathers, and W. J. Nellis, “The equation of state of platinum to 660 GPa (6.6 Mbar),” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 2962–2967, 1989.
- A. C. Larson and R. B. von Dreele, “General Structure Analysis System (GSAS),” National Laboratory Report LAUR 86-748, 2004.
- B. H. Toby, “EXPGUI, a graphical user interface for GSAS,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 210–213, 2001.
- L. C. Bourne, P. Y. Yu, A. Zettl, and M. L. Cohen, “High-pressure electrical conductivity measurements in the copper oxides,” Physical Review B, vol. 40, no. 16, pp. 10973–10976, 1989.
- A. Malinowski, S. Asbrink, and A. Kvick, “A high-pressure single-crystal X-ray diffraction study of copper oxide using synchrotron radiation,” High Pressure Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 429–431, 1990.
- H. Ehrenberg, J. A. McAllister, W. G. Marshall, and J. P. Attfield, “Compressibility of copper-oxygen bonds: a high-pressure neutron powder diffraction study of CuO,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 11, no. 34, pp. 6501–6508, 1999.
- Z. Wang, V. Pischedda, S. K. Saxena, and P. Lazor, “X-ray diffraction and Raman spectroscopic study of nanocrystalline CuO under pressures,” Solid State Communications, vol. 121, no. 5, pp. 275–279, 2002.
- S. Minomura and H. G. Drickamer, “Effect of pressure on the electrical resistance of some transition-metal oxides and sulfides,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 3043–3048, 1963.
- K. Reimann and K. Syassen, “Pressure dependence of Raman modes in CuO,” Solid State Communications, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 137–140, 1990.
- E. C. Stoner and E. P. Wohlfarth, “A mechanism of magnetic hysteresis in heterogeneous alloys,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 240, pp. 599–642, 1948.
- B. D. Cullity, Introduction to Magnetic Materials, Addison-Wesley, Philippines, Pa, USA, 1972.
- A. P. Douvalis, L. Jankovic, and T. Bakas, “The origin of ferromagnetism in 57Fe-doped NiO,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 19, no. 43, Article ID 436203, 2007.
- A. Punnoose, H. Magnone, M. S. Seehra, and J. Bonevich, “Bulk to nanoscale magnetism and exchange bias in CuO nanoparticles,” Physical Review B, vol. 64, no. 17, Article ID 174420, 8 pages, 2001.
- W. H. Meiklejohn and C. P. Bean, “New magnetic anisotropy,” Physical Review, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 904–913, 1957.
- T. I. Arbuzova, A. A. Samokhvalov, I. B. Smolyak, B. V. Karpenko, N. M. Chebotaev, and S. V. Naumov, “Temperature transition from 3D to quasi-1D antiferromagnetism in CuO single crystals,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 168–174, 1991.
- S. Cardoso, Z. Zhang, H. Li et al., “Characterization of nano-oxide layers fabricated by ion beam oxidation,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 2755–2757, 2002.
- H. Toyosaki, T. Fukumura, K. Ueno, M. Nakano, and M. Kawasaki, “A ferromagnetic oxide semiconductor as spin injection electrode in magnetic tunnel junction,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 44, no. 28, pp. L896–L898, 2005.
- X. W. Li, A. Gupta, G. Xiao, W. Qian, and V. P. Dravid, “Fabrication and properties of heteroepitaxial magnetite (FeO) tunnel junctions,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 73, no. 22, pp. 3282–3284, 1998.
- P. A. A. van der Heijden, P. J. H. Bloemen, J. M. Metselaar et al., “Interlayer coupling between FeO layers separated by an insulating nonmagnetic MgO layer,” Physical Review B, vol. 55, no. 17, pp. 11569–11575, 1997.
- P. J. van der Zaag, P. J. H. Bloemen, J. M. Gaines et al., “On the construction of an Fe3O4-based all-oxide spin valve,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 301–308, 2000.
- G. Hu, R. Chopdekar, and Y. Suzuki, “Observation of inverse magnetoresistance in epitaxial magnetite/manganite junctions,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 93, no. 10, pp. 7516–7518, 2003.
- L. M. B. Alldredge, R. V. Chopdekar, B. B. Nelson-Cheeseman, and Y. Suzuki, “Complex oxide-based magnetic tunnel junctions with nonmagnetic insulating barrier layers,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 99, no. 8, Article ID 08K303, 2006.
- T. Fix, D. Stoeffler, Y. Henry et al., “Diode effect in all-oxide Sr2FeMoO6-based magnetic tunnel junctions,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 99, no. 8, Article ID 08J107, 2006.
- G. Bertotti, Hysteresis in Magnetism, chapter 10, 11, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1998.
- V. Raghavan, Materials Science and Engineering, Prentice-Hall, New Delhi, India, 3rd edition, 1995.