- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 232847, 11 pages
Optimum Design of Fibre Orientation in Composite Laminate Plates for Out-Plane Stresses
School of Design, Engineering and Computing, Bournemouth University, Dorset Bournemouth BH12 5BB, UK
Received 27 April 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Philip Harrison
Copyright © 2012 Rasoul Khandan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Fu, S. Li, and Y. Jiang, “Analysis of inter-laminar stresses for composite laminated plate with interfacial damage,” Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 127–140, 2008.
- M. Blanc and M. Touratier, “An efficient and simple refined model for temperature analysis in thin laminated composites,” Composite Structures, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 193–205, 2007.
- R. L. Onsy and T. Tran-Cong, “Finite strip elements for laminated composite plates with transverse shear strain discontinuities,” Composite Structures, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 249–258, 2002.
- S. C. Han, A. Tabiei, and W. T. Park, “Geometrically nonlinear analysis of laminated composite thin shells using a modified first-order shear deformable element-based Lagrangian shell element,” Composite Structures, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 465–474, 2008.
- F. Faimun, P. D. Gosling, O. Polit, and M. Touratier, “Analytical response sensitivity of laminated composite plate using trigonometric type element,” in Proceedings of the 13th Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering Conference (ACME '05), Sheffield, UK, 2005.
- R. Khandan, S. Noroozi, P. Sewell, J. Vinney, and M. R. Ramazani, “Optimum design of fibre orientation angles in composite laminate plates for minimum thickness (ASME '10),” in Proceedings of the International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, British Columbia, Canada, 2010.
- H. Ghiasi, D. Pasini, and L. Lessard, “Optimum stacking sequence design of composite materials part I: constant stiffness design,” Composite Structures, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2009.
- R. S. Sandhu, “Parametric study of Tsai's strength criterion for filamentary composites,” TR-68-168, Air Force Flight Dynamic Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, 1969.
- H. E. Brandmaier, “Optimum filament orientation criteria,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 4, pp. 422–425, 1970.
- J. Wang and B. L. Karihaloo, “Optimum in situ strength design of laminates under combined mechanical and thermal loads,” Composite Structures, vol. 47, no. 1–4, pp. 635–641, 1999.
- C. C. Chao, C. T. Sun, and S. L. Kohn, “Strength optimization for cylindrical shells of laminated composites,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 53–66, 1975.
- W. J. Park, “An optimal design of simple symmetric laminates under the first ply failure criterion,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 341–352, 1982.
- H. Fukunaga and T. W. Chou, “On laminate configurations for simultaneous failure,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 22, pp. 271–286, 1988.
- A. Miravete, “Optimization of symmetrically laminated composites rectangular plates,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Composite Materials, Beijing, China, 1989.
- H. Fukunaga and G. N. Vanderplaats, “Strength optimization of laminated composites with respect to layer thickness and/or layer orientation angle,” Computers and Structures, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1429–1439, 1991.
- Z. Gurdal and R. T. Haftka, Elements of Structural Optimization, Kluwer Academic, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1992.
- Z. Gurdal, R. T. Haftka, and P. Hajela, Design and Optimization of Laminated Composite Materials, Wiley-Interscience, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- R. Spallino, G. Giambanco, and S. Rizzo, “A design algorithm for the optimization of laminated composite structures,” Engineering Computations, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 302–315, 1999.
- P. M. Weaver, “Designing composite structures: lay-up selection,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol. 216, no. 2, pp. 105–116, 2002.
- A. Chattopadhyay, C. E. Seeley, and R. Jha, “Aeroelastic tailoring using piezoelectric actuation and hybrid optimization,” Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 83–91, 1999.
- M. A. Luersen and R. le Riche, “Globalized nelder-mead method for engineering optimization,” Computers and Structures, vol. 82, no. 23–26, pp. 2251–2260, 2004.
- H. Ghiasi, D. Pasini, and L. Lessard, “Constrained globalized Nelder-Mead method for simultaneous structural and manufacturing optimization of a composite bracket,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 717–736, 2008.
- M. Kameyama and H. Fukunaga, “Optimum design of composite plate wings for aeroelastic characteristics using lamination parameters,” Computers and Structures, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 213–224, 2007.
- C. M. M. Soares, V. F. Correia, H. Mateus, and J. Herskovits, “A discrete model for the optimal design of thin composite plate-shell type structures using a two-level approach,” Composite Structures, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 147–157, 1995.
- J. Wang and B. L. Karihaloo, “Optimum in situ strength design of composite laminates. Part II: optimum design,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 1338–1358, 1996.
- V. M. F. Correia, C. M. M. Soares, and C. A. M. Soares, “Higher order models on the eigenfrequency analysis and optimal design of laminated composite structures,” Composite Structures, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 237–253, 1997.
- C. M. Mota Soares, C. A. Mota Soares, and V. M. Franco Correia, “Optimization of multilaminated structures using higher-order deformation models,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 149, no. 1–4, pp. 133–152, 1997.
- A. Y. Abu-Odeh and H. L. Jones, “Optimum design of composite plates using response surface method,” Composite Structures, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 233–242, 1998.
- S. A. Barakat and G. A. Abu-Farsakh, “The use of an energy-based criterion to determine optimum configurations of fibrous composites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 59, no. 12, pp. 1891–1899, 1999.
- J. S. Moita, J. I. Barbosa, C. M. M. Soares, and C. A. M. Soares, “Sensitivity analysis and optimal design of geometrically non-linear laminated plates and shells,” Computers and Structures, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 407–420, 2000.
- J. H. Oh, Y. G. Kim, and D. G. Lee, “Optimum bolted joints for hybrid composite materials,” Composite Structures, vol. 38, pp. 329–341, 1997.
- S. Adali, A. Richter, and V. E. Verijenko, “Optimization of shear-deformable laminated plates under buckling and strength criteria,” Composite Structures, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 167–178, 1997.
- C. W. Kim, W. Hwang, H. C. Park, and K. S. Han, “Stacking sequence optimization of laminated plates,” Composite Structures, vol. 39, no. 3-4, pp. 283–288, 1997.
- P. Y. Tabakov and M. Walker, “A technique for optimally designing engineering structures with manufacturing tolerances accounted for,” Engineering Optimization, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2007.
- M. Akbulut and F. O. Sonmez, “Optimum design of composite laminates for minimum thickness,” Computers and Structures, vol. 86, no. 21-22, pp. 1974–1982, 2008.
- I. M. Daniel and O. Ishai, Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 2006.
- E. Reissner and Y. Stavsky, “Bending and stretching of certain types of aeolotropic elastic plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 28, pp. 402–408, 1961.
- Y. Stavsky, “Bending and stretching of laminated aeolotropic plates,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 31–56, 1961.
- S. B. Dong, K. S. Pister, and R. L. Taylor, “On the theory of laminated anisotropic shells and plates,” Journal of Aeronautical Science, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 969–975, 1962.
- P. C. Yang, C. H. Norris, and Y. Stavsky, “Elastic wave propagation in heterogeneous plates,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 665–684, 1966.
- S. A. Ambartsumyan, Theory of Anisotropic Plates, Technomic, Stamford, Conn, USA, 1969, Translated from Russian by T. Cheron.
- J. M. Whitney and A. W. Leissa, “Analysis of heterogeneous anisotropic plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 261–266, 1969.
- J. N. Reddy, Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- G. Kirchhoff, “Uber das Gleichgewicht und die Bewegung einer elestischen Scheibe,” Journal Fur Reine Und Angewandte Mathematik, vol. 40, pp. 51–88, 1850.
- A. E. H. Love, The Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1934.
- S. Timoshenko, Theory of Elasticity, McGraw-Hill, NewYork, NY, USA, 1934.
- E. Reissner, “The effect of transverse shear deformation on the bending of elastic plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 12, pp. 69–77, 1945.
- R. M. Jones, Mechanics of Composite Materials, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- J. N. Reddy, Energy and Variational Methods in Applied Mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1984.
- R. D. Mindlin, “Influence of rotary inertia and shear on flexural motions of isotropic elastic plates,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 18, pp. 31–38, 1951.
- S. Kirkpatrick, C. D. Gelatt, and M. P. Vecchi, “Optimization by simulated annealing,” Science, vol. 220, pp. 671–680, 1983.
- O. Erdal and F. O. Sonmez, “Optimum design of composite laminates for maximum buckling load capacity using simulated annealing,” Composite Structures, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2005.
- R. le Riche and R. T. Haftka, “Improved genetic algorithm for minimum thickness composite laminate design,” Composites Engineering, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 143–161, 1995.
- P. Kere, M. Lyly, and J. Koski, “Using multicriterion optimization for strength design of composite laminates,” Composite Structures, vol. 62, no. 3-4, pp. 329–333, 2003.