- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 635693, 10 pages
Processing and Characterization of High Density Polyethylene/Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Blends with Different VA Contents
Chemical Engineering Department, King Saud University, P.O. Box 800, Riyadh 11421, Saudi Arabia
Received 27 August 2012; Accepted 3 November 2012
Academic Editor: Zhennan Gu
Copyright © 2012 Othman Y. Alothman. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Chrissafis, K. M. Paraskevopoulos, I. Tsiaoussis, and D. Bikiaris, “Comparative study of the effect of different nanoparticles on the mechanical properties, permeability, and thermal degradation mechanism of HDPE,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 1606–1618, 2009.
- G. Sui, W. H. Zhong, X. Ren, X. Q. Wang, and X. P. Yang, “Structure, mechanical properties and friction behavior of UHMWPE/HDPE/carbon nanofibers,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 404–412, 2009.
- Y. Xue, W. Wu, O. Jacobs, and B. Schädel, “Tribological behaviour of UHMWPE/HDPE blends reinforced with multi-wall carbon nanotubes,” Polymer Testing, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 221–229, 2006.
- A. H. I. Mourad, H. Fouad, and R. Elleithy, “Impact of some environmental conditions on the tensile, creep-recovery, relaxation, melting and crystallinity behaviour of UHMWPE-GUR 410-medical grade,” Materials and Design, vol. 30, no. 10, pp. 4112–4119, 2009.
- M. Kontopoulou and L. C. Huang, “Rheology, structure, and properties of ethylene-vinyl acetate/metallocene- catalyzed ethylene-α-olefin copolymer blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 94, no. 3, pp. 881–889, 2004.
- A. M. Henderson, “Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) copolymers: a general review,” IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 30, 1993.
- A. Sharif, N. Mohammadi, and S. R. Ghaffarian, “Practical work of crack growth and environmental stress cracking resistance of semicrystalline polymers,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 2756–2762, 2008.
- Q. Dong, Q. Zheng, M. Du, and M. Zhang, “Temperature-dependence of dynamic rheological properties for high-density polyethylene filled with graphite,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 40, no. 13, pp. 3539–3541, 2005.
- Y. C. Li and G. H. Chen, “HDPE/expanded graphite nanocomposites prepared via masterbatch process,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 882–888, 2007.
- W. Zheng, X. Lu, and S. C. Wong, “Electrical and mechanical properties of expanded graphite-reinforced high-density polyethylene,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. 2781–2788, 2004.
- S. Huang, K. Zhou, W. Zhu, B. Huang, and Z. Li, “Effects of in situ biomineralization on microstructural and mechanical properties of hydroxyapatite/polyethylene composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 1842–1847, 2006.
- C. Sun, W. Zhao, and S. Chen, “Studies on the comprehensive performance of graphite and additives filled high density polyethylene composites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 4000–4004, 2008.
- N. Chen, L. Ma, and T. Zhang, “Investigation of nano-talc as a filling material and a reinforcing agent in high density polyethylene (HDPE),” Rare Metals, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 422–425, 2006.
- Y. Wang, J. Shi, L. Han, and F. Xiang, “Crystallization and mechanical properties of T-ZnOw/HDPE composites,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 501, no. 1-2, pp. 220–228, 2009.
- A. Behradfar, A. Shojaei, and N. Sheikh, “Rheological and mechanical characteristics of low density polyethylene/ethylene-vinyl acetate/organoclay nanocomposites,” Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 1315–1325, 2010.
- C. Li, Q. Kong, J. Zhao, D. Zhao, Q. Fan, and Y. Xia, “Crystallization of partially miscible linear low-density polyethylene/poly(ethylene-co-vinylacetate) blends,” Materials Letters, vol. 58, no. 27-28, pp. 3613–3617, 2004.
- I. L. Hosier, A. S. Vaughan, and S. G. Swingler, “An investigation of the potential of ethylene vinyl acetate/polyethylene blends for use in recyclable high voltage cable insulation systems,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 2747–2759, 2010.
- H. A. Youssef, M. M. Senna, and H. M. Eyssa, “Characterization of LDPE and LDPE/EVA blends crosslinked by electron beam irradiation and foamed with chemical foaming agent,” Journal of Polymer Research, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 351–357, 2007.
- H. A. Khonakdar, S. H. Jafari, A. Haghighi-Asl, U. Wagenknecht, L. Häussler, and U. Reuter, “Thermal and mechanical properties of uncrosslinked and chemically crosslinked polyethylene/ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 3261–3270, 2007.
- X. Shi, J. Jin, S. Chen, and J. Zhang, “Multiple melting and partial miscibility of ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer/low density polyethylene blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 113, no. 5, pp. 2863–2871, 2009.
- J. Jin, S. J. Chen, and J. Zhang, “Non-isothermal crystallization kinetics of partially miscible ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer/low density polyethylene blends,” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 141–152, 2010.
- H. A. Khonakdar, S. H. Jafari, A. Yavari, A. Asadinezhad, and U. Wagenknecht, “Rheology, morphology and estimation of interfacial tension of LDPE/EVA and HDPE/EVA blends,” Polymer Bulletin, vol. 54, no. 1-2, pp. 75–84, 2005.
- M. Faker, M. K. Razavi Aghjeh, M. Ghaffari, and S. A. Seyyedi, “Rheology, morphology and mechanical properties of polyethylene/ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer (PE/EVA) blends,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1834–1842, 2008.
- A. Yamanaka, Y. Izumi, T. Kitagawa et al., “The radiation effect on thermal conductivity of high strength ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fiber by γ-Rays,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 2619–2626, 2006.
- I. Ali and R. Elleithy, “Toughness of HDPE/CaCO3 microcomposites prepared from masterbatch by melt blend method,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 122, pp. 3303–3315, 2011.
- S. Akhlaghi, A. Sharif, M. Kalaee et al., “Effect of stabilizer on the mechanical, morphological and thermal properties of compatibilized high density polyethylene/ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer/organoclay nanocomposites,” Materials and Design, vol. 33, pp. 273–283, 2012.
- ASTM D638-98, Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics, vol. 8, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1999.
- H. Fouad, “Experimental and numerical studies of the notch strengthening behaviour of semi-crystalline ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene,” Materials and Design, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 1117–1129, 2010.
- J. G. Williams, Fracture Mechanics of Polymers, Ellis Horwood, Chichester, UK, 1987.
- H. Fouad, R. Elleithy, S. M. Al-Zahrani, and M. A. H. Ali, “Characterization and processing of High Density Polyethylene/carbon nano-composites,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 1974–1980, 2011.
- B. John, K. T. Varughese, Z. Oommen, P. Pötschke, and S. Thomas, “Dynamic mechanical behavior of high-density polyethylene/ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer blends: the effects of the blend ratio, reactive compatibilization, and dynamic vulcanization,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 87, no. 13, pp. 2083–2099, 2003.