- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 970182, 8 pages
New Surface Properties in Porcelain Gres Tiles with a Look to Human and Environmental Safety
1Dipartimento di Chimica, Università degli Studi di Milano, Via Golgi 19, 20133 Milan, Italy
2Consorzio Interuniversitario Nazionale per la Scienza e Tecnologia dei Materiali, Via G. Giusti 9, 50121 Florence, Italy
3Dipartimento di Chimica and NIS Centre of Excellence, Università degli Studi di Torino, Via P. Giuria 7, 10125 Turin, Italy
4Dipartimento di Chimica, Materiali e Ingegneria Chimica “Giulio Natta”, Politecnico di Milano, Piazza Leonardo da Vinci 32, 20133 Milan, Italy
5GranitiFiandre S.p.A, Via Radici Nord 112, 42014 Castellarano, Italy
Received 23 February 2012; Accepted 16 July 2012
Academic Editor: Wilson Acchar
Copyright © 2012 C. L. Bianchi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Casasola, J. M. Rincón, and M. Romero, “Glass-ceramic glazes for ceramic tiles: a review,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 553–582, 2012.
- S. Singh and H. S. Nalwa, “Nanotechnology and health safety—toxicity and risk assessments of nanostructured materials on human health,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 3048–3070, 2007.
- B. Trouiller, R. Reliene, A. Westbrook, P. Solaimani, and R. H. Schiestl, “Titanium dioxide nanoparticles induce DNA damage and genetic instability in vivo in mice,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 22, pp. 8784–8789, 2009.
- “ISO 22197-1—test method for air-purification performance of semiconducting photocatalytic materials. Part1: removal of nitric oxide,” http://www.iso.org/iso/home.html.
- J. Drelich and E. Chibowski, “Superhydrophilic and superwetting surfaces: definition and mechanisms of control,” Langmuir, vol. 26, no. 24, pp. 18621–18623, 2010.
- T. Watanabe, S. Fukayama, M. Miyauchi, A. Fujishima, and K. Hashimoto, “Photocatalytic activity and photo-induced wettability conversion of TiO2 thin film prepared by sol-gel process on a soda-lime glass,” Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, vol. 19, no. 1–3, pp. 71–76, 2000.
- S. Ardizzone, C. L. Bianchi, G. Cappelletti, S. Gialanella, C. Pirola, and V. Ragaini, “Tailored anatase/brookite nanocrystalline TiO2. the optimal particle features for liquidand gas-phase photocatalytic reactions,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 35, pp. 13222–13231, 2007.
- C. Pirola, D. C. Boffito, S. Vitali, and C. L. Bianchi, “Photocatalytic coatings for building industry: study of 1 year of activity in the NOx degradation,” Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 453–458, 2012.
- C. L. Bianchi, C. Pirola, E. Selli, and S. Biella, “Photocatalytic NOx abatement: the role of the material supporting the TiO2 active layer,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 211-212, pp. 203–207, 2012.
- N. H. Chen and D. F. Othmer, “New generalized equation for gas diffusion coefficient,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 1962.
- T. N. Obee and R. T. Brown, “TiO2 photocatalysis for indoor air applications: effects of humidity and trace contaminant levels on the oxidation rates of formaldehyde, toluene, and 1,3-butadiene,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1223–1231, 1995.
- D. T. Tomkins, W. A. Zeltner, B. J. Lawnicki, and M. A. Anderson, “Evaluation of Photocatalysis for Gas-Phase Air Cleaning Part 1: Process, Technical, and Sizing Considerations,” ASHRAE Transactions, vol. 111, no. 2, p. 64, 2005.
- C. L. Bianchi, S. Gatto, C. Pirola, M. Scavini, S. Vitali, and V. Capucci, “Micro-TiO2 as a Starting Material for New Photocatalytic Tiles,” Cement and Concrete Composites. In press.
- C. Anderson and A. J. Bard, “Improved photocatalytic activity and characterization of mixed TiO2/SiO2 and TiO2/Al2O3 materials,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 101, no. 14, pp. 2611–2616, 1997.
- T.-H. Xie and J. Lin, “Origin of photocatalytic deactivation of TiO2 film coated on ceramic substrate,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, vol. 111, no. 27, pp. 9968–9974, 2007.
- R. I. Bickley, T. Gonzalez-Carreno, J. S. Lees, L. Palmisano, and R. J. D. Tilley, “A structural investigation of titanium dioxide photocatalysts,” Journal of Solid State Chemistry, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 178–190, 1991.
- G. Cerrato, L. Marchese, and C. Morterra, “Structural and morphological modifications of sintering microcrystalline TiO2: an XRD, HRTEM and FTIR study,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 70-71, pp. 200–205, 1993.
- Anatase ICCD card File 21-1272.
- R. Wang, K. Hashimoto, A. Fujishima et al., “Light-induced amphiphilic surfaces,” Nature, vol. 388, no. 6641, pp. 431–432, 1997.
- M. Machida, K. Norimoto, T. Watanabe, K. Hashimoto, and A. Fujishima, “Effect of SiO2 addition in super-hydrophilic property of TiO2 photocatalyst,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 2569–2574, 1999.
- Y. H. Tseng, C. S. Kuo, C. H. Huang et al., “Visible-light-responsive nano-TiO2 with mixed crystal lattice and its photocatalytic activity,” Nanotechnology, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 2490–2497, 2006.