- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 104914, 6 pages
Nonlocal Nonlinear Optical Response of Ionic Liquids under Violet Excitation
1Optics and Materials Group (OPTMA), Universidade Federal de Alagoas, P.O. Box 2051, 57061-970 Maceió, AL, Brazil
2Instituto de Química, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, 91501-970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 11 December 2012; Accepted 29 May 2013
Academic Editor: Antonia Pérez de los Ríos
Copyright © 2013 Cássio E. A. Santos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Dupont, R. F. de Souza, and P. A. Z. Suarez, “Ionic liquid (molten salt) phase organometallic catalysis,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 102, no. 10, pp. 3667–3692, 2002.
- S. Ono, S. Seki, R. Hirahara, Y. Tominari, and J. Takeya, “High-mobility, low-power, and fast-switching organic field-effect transistors with ionic liquids,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 92, no. 10, Article ID 103313, 3 pages, 2008.
- C. E. Song, “Enantioselective chemo- and bio-catalysis in ionic liquids,” Chemical Communications, no. 9, pp. 1033–1043, 2004.
- T. Rüther, T. D. Huynh, J. Huang et al., “Correction to stable cycling of lithium batteries using novel boronium-cation-based ionic liquid electrolytes,” Chemistry of Materials, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1038–1045, 2010.
- H. S. Park, B. G. Choi, S. H. Yang et al., “Ionic-liquid-assisted sonochemical synthesis of carbon-nanotube-based nanohybrids: control in the structures and interfacial characteristics,” Small, vol. 5, no. 15, pp. 1754–1760, 2009.
- J. Dupont, G. S. Fonseca, A. P. Umpierre, P. F. P. Fichtner, and S. R. Teixeira, “Transition-metal nanoparticles in imidazolium ionic liquids: recycable catalysts for biphasic hydrogenation reactions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 16, pp. 4228–4229, 2002.
- C. J. Bowlas, D. W. Bruce, and K. R. Seddon, “Liquid-crystalline ionic liquids,” Chemical Communications, no. 14, pp. 1625–1626, 1996.
- R. F. Souza, M. A. R. C. Alencar, M. R. Meneghetti, J. Dupont, and J. M. Hickmann, “Nonlocal optical nonlinearity of ionic liquids,” Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, vol. 20, no. 15, Article ID 155102, 2008.
- C. E. A. Santos, M. A. R. C. Alencar, P. Migowski, J. Dupont, and J. M. Hickmann, “Anionic and cationic influence on the nonlocal nonlinear optical response of ionic liquids,” Chemical Physics, vol. 403, pp. 33–36, 2012.
- C. D. Tran, S. Challa, and M. Franko, “Ionic liquids as an attractive alternative solvent for thermal lens measurements,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 77, no. 22, pp. 7442–7447, 2005.
- H. Tokuda, K. Hayamizu, K. Ishii, M. A. B. H. Susan, and M. Watanabe, “Physicochemical properties and structures of room temperature ionic liquids. 2. variation of alkyl chain length in imidazolium cation,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 13, pp. 6103–6110, 2005.
- C. S. Consorti, P. A. Z. Suarez, R. F. de Souza et al., “Identification of 1,3-dialkylimidazoIium salt supramolecular aggregates in solution,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 4341–4349, 2005.
- A. Triolo, O. Russina, B. Fazio, R. Triolo, and E. Di Cola, “Morphology of 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium hexafluorophosphate room temperature ionic liquids,” Chemical Physics Letters, vol. 457, no. 4–6, pp. 362–365, 2008.
- W. Królikowski, O. Bang, N. I. Nikolov et al., “Modulational instability, solitons and beam propagation in spatially nonlocal nonlinear media,” Journal of Optics B, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. S288–S294, 2004.
- A. V. Mamaev, A. A. Zozulya, V. K. Mezentsev, D. Z. Anderson, and M. Saffman, “Bound dipole solitary solutions in anisotropic nonlocal self-focusing media,” Physical Review A, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. R1110–R1113, 1997.
- A. V. Mamaev, M. Saffman, and A. A. Zozulya, “Phase-dependent collisions of -dimensional spatial solitons,” Journal of the Optical Society of America B, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 2079–2082, 1998.
- A. A. Zozulya, D. Z. Anderson, A. V. Mamaev, and M. Saffman, “Self-focusing and soliton formation in media with anisotropic nonlocal material response,” Europhysics Letters, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 419–424, 1996.
- P. D. Rasmussen, O. Bang, and W. Krolikowski, “Theory of nonlocal soliton interaction in nematic liquid crystals,” Physical Review E, vol. 72, no. 6, Article ID 066611, 7 pages, 2005.
- M. Peccianti, C. Conti, G. Assanto, A. de Luca, and C. Umeton, “Nonlocal optical propagation in nonlinear nematic liquid crystals,” Journal of Nonlinear Optical Physics and Materials, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 525–538, 2003.
- A. A. Minzoni, N. F. Smyth, Z. Y. Xu, and Y. S. Kivshar, “Stabilization of vortex-soliton beams in nematic liquid crystals,” Physical Review A, vol. 79, no. 6, Article ID 063808, 7 pages, 2009.
- G. Assanto, N. F. Smyth, and A. L. Worthy, “Two-color, nonlocal vector solitary waves with angular momentum in nematic liquid crystals,” Physical Review A, vol. 78, no. 1, Article ID 013832, 8 pages, 2008.
- S. Skupin, O. Bang, D. Edmundson, and W. Krolikowski, “Stability of two-dimensional spatial solitons in nonlocal nonlinear media,” Physical Review E, vol. 73, no. 6, Article ID 066603, 8 pages, 2006.
- C. Rotschild, O. Cohen, O. Manela, M. Segev, and T. Carmon, “Solitons in nonlinear media with an infinite range of nonlocality: first observation of coherent elliptic solitons and of vortex-ring solitons,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 95, no. 21, Article ID 213904, 4 pages, 2005.
- A. Minovich, D. N. Neshev, A. Dreischuh, W. Krolikowski, and Y. S. Kivshar, “Experimental reconstruction of nonlocal response of thermal nonlinear optical media,” Optics Letters, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1599–1601, 2007.
- R. Fischer, D. N. Neshev, W. Krolikowski et al., “Oblique interaction of spatial dark-soliton stripes in nonlocal media,” Optics Letters, vol. 31, no. 20, pp. 3010–3012, 2006.
- D. Buccoliero, A. S. Desyatnikov, W. Krolikowski, and Y. S. Kivshar, “Boundary effects on the dynamics of higher-order optical spatial solitons in nonlocal thermal media,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 11, no. 9, Article ID 094014, 2009.
- B. K. Esbensen, A. Wlotzka, M. Bache, O. Bang, and W. Krolikowski, “Modulational instability and solitons in nonlocal media with competing nonlinearities,” Physical Review A, vol. 84, no. 5, Article ID 053854, 2011.
- M. Peccianti, C. Conti, and G. Assanto, “Optical modulational instability in a nonlocal medium,” Physical Review E, vol. 68, no. 2, Article ID 025692, 4 pages, 2003.
- W. J. Wan, S. Jia, and J. W. Fleischer, “Dispersive superfluid-like shock waves in nonlinear optics,” Nature Physics, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 46–51, 2007.
- N. Ghofraniha, C. Conti, G. Ruocco, and S. Trillo, “Shocks in nonlocal media,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 99, no. 4, Article ID 043903, 4 pages, 2007.
- N. Ghofraniha, L. S. Amato, V. Folli, S. Trillo, E. DelRe, and C. Conti, “Measurement of scaling laws for shock waves in thermal nonlocal media,” Optics Letters, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 2325–2327, 2012.
- B. Alfassi, C. Rotschild, O. Manela, M. Segev, and D. N. Christodoulides, “Nonlocal surface-wave solitons,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 21, Article ID 213901, 4 pages, 2007.
- B. Alfassi, C. Rotschild, and M. Segev, “Incoherent surface solitons in effectively instantaneous nonlocal nonlinear media,” Physical Review A, vol. 80, no. 4, Article ID 041808, 4 pages, 2009.
- P. D. Rasmussen, F. H. Bennet, D. N. Neshev et al., “Observation of two-dimensional nonlocal gap solitons,” Optics Letters, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 295–297, 2009.
- F. Maucher, W. Krolikowski, and S. Skupin, “Stability of solitary waves in random nonlocal nonlinear media,” Physical Review A, vol. 85, no. 6, Article ID 063803, 11 pages, 2012.
- D. Neshev, G. McCarthy, W. Krolikowski et al., “Dipole-mode vector solitons in anisotropic nonlocal self-focusing media,” Optics Letters, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 1185–1187, 2001.
- W. Krolikowski, O. Bang, and J. Wyller, “Nonlocal incoherent solitons,” Physical Review E, vol. 70, no. 3, Article ID 036617, 5 pages, 2004.
- M. Sheik-Bahae, A. A. Said, T. H. Wei, D. J. Hagan, and E. W. van Stryland, “Sensitive measurement of optical nonlinearities using a single beam,” IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 760–769, 1990.
- M. Falconieri, “Thermo-optical effects in Z-scan measurements using high-repetition-rate lasers,” Journal of Optics A, vol. 1, no. 6, article 662, 1999.
- P. Migowski, G. Machado, S. R. Texeira et al., “Synthesis and characterization of nickel nanoparticles dispersed in imidazolium ionic liquids,” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, vol. 9, no. 34, pp. 4814–4821, 2007.
- P. A. Z. Suarez, J. E. L. Dullius, S. Einloft, R. F. de Souza, and J. Dupont, “The use of new ionic liquids in two-phase catalytic hydrogenation reaction by rhodium complexes,” Polyhedron, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1217–1219, 1996.
- R. W. Boyd, Nonlinear Optics, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2nd edition, 2003.
- R. Ge, C. Hardacre, P. Nancarrow, and D. W. Rooney, “Thermal conductivities of ionic liquids over the temperature range from 293 K to 353 K,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1819–1823, 2007.